Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
@Salami you'll get your shit jacked by a methhead faster than you can say "dixie will rise again" at ol' poston. you won't even have time to pull your $30 blade, son. you'll prolly be tending to your overheating buddy on an ebike anyway...
It was $150 brah because M4 steel. So I should carry an AR 15 instead?

The ebike is over heating cause I nicked some wires with the Para 3 :cheers:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
LMAO all good comments from teh monkeys.

I'll have to find the article about the trail runner "beating off" (that's for you @Toshi :) a baby giant kitty here in Fort Collins, Horsetooth mtn park area. Pretty sure he was about as far away from his car as you can be. Not fun.

I passed a hiker the other day who was carrying a hatchet. I asked him what that was for. He said, anything and everything....even you. I was like, okay, I'm outta here.

In all my years of MTB I've never really thought of carrying a knife/weapon for defense, only for bike repair type stuff. But times are changing.

There was a long debate on another forum, where some folks said, if you really want to be prepared, carry a gun. Others, like here were like, just bear spray. Others, just a knife. Similar, others were saying what's the chances?! It's not going to happen so why bring that extra weight with you? Everyone has an opinion...But I come here for teh monkey jokes. LOL

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
LMAO all good comments from teh monkeys.

I'll have to find the article about the trail runner "beating off" (that's for you @Toshi :) a baby giant kitty here in Fort Collins, Horsetooth mtn park area. Pretty sure he was about as far away from his car as you can be. Not fun.

I passed a hiker the other day who was carrying a hatchet. I asked him what that was for. He said, anything and everything....even you. I was like, okay, I'm outta here.

In all my years of MTB I've never really thought of carrying a knife/weapon for defense, only for bike repair type stuff. But times are changing.

There was a long debate on another forum, where some folks said, if you really want to be prepared, carry a gun. Others, like here were like, just bear spray. Others, just a knife. Similar, others were saying what's the chances?! It's not going to happen so why bring that extra weight with you? Everyone has an opinion...But I come here for teh monkey jokes. LOL
you're on a bike, just ride the fuck away.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Pretty sure that's conflicts with the first rule of dealing with a giant angry kittehs....Now you're officially his prey/toy. Not just a possible prey/toy. I'm no Ranger Dan, but I know that much.
we don't have that variety of cougar on the east coast, at least not where i ride.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I love that people's lizard brain makes them think predators are a primary threat. Driving to the trailhead is more of a threat than cougars. Riding a bike anywhere is more risky than cougars. Probably more likely to have a tree fall on you.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I love that people's lizard brain makes them think predators are a primary threat. Driving to the trailhead is more of a threat than cougars. Riding a bike anywhere is more risky than cougars. Probably more likely to have a tree fall on you.
I agree. To me, it's not "Primary". Heck, I could slip in the shower and get hurt statistically more likely than eaten by a kitty. Or bitten by a rattle snake. But here in CO, they are all scary things you don't want to have happen. But CAN and HAVE and the results are not pretty. So what do you do? A little bit of preparation is better than none, no?

I'm sure on the beast coast, there are no such beasts, and the only thing you are afraid of is the scary rocks :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I agree. To me, it's not "Primary". Heck, I could slip in the shower and get hurt statistically more likely than eaten by a kitty. Or bitten by a rattle snake. But here in CO, they are all scary things you don't want to have happen. But CAN and HAVE and the results are not pretty. So what do you do? A little bit of preparation is better than none, no?

I'm sure on the beast coast, there are no such beasts, and the only thing you are afraid of is the scary rocks :)
I am in Washington, I see large kitty turds on trails all the time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A woman was actually killed by a mountain lion here a few years back. She was with another person, they held their bikes in front of them and the kitty just watched them. Then the lady panicked, dropped her bike and ran.

I think I'd rather have a bike on me than a pocket knife. Perhaps a bike based martial art is in order.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
A friend had a tree fall on him at a local race, broke his back, lucky it was a race so people were there to help him right away.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Pretty sure that's conflicts with the first rule of dealing with a giant angry kittehs....Now you're officially his prey/toy. Not just a possible prey/toy. I'm no Ranger Dan, but I know that much.
:stupid:

I don't think I'll ever have a run in, but we grow our kitties pretty fucking huge out here. I'd probably shit myself to death before fighting off a big cat. I'm guessing CO monkeys have seen that one pic of the hunter w/lion from Idaho Spring before. No, thank you. I'd have zero chance.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A friend had a tree fall on him at a local race, broke his back, lucky it was a race so people were there to help him right away.
a dude local had a small one clip him. thankfully uninjured, but he made quick work of getting out of the woods. a wise choice, considering it occurred at the start of the storm that brought these trees down (and many more just like them)....

1617212361612.png

1617212380917.png

1617212441700.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

And that would mean bringing extra water, extra clothing, shelter, food, medical shit, tools, saw, spare parts....long before brining a gun. You know, shit that is far more likely to actually happen, that is if you are actually using the “because I want to be prepared” justification, because otherwise, it’s just dick waving and insecurity.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
As an attempt to get this thread back on topic, I'd point out that the SRAM GX AXS should qualify as being something that's right with the industry:
- It is 100% compatible with the rest of the Eagle line-up (The Lizards must have been napping during that Critical Design Review meeting, because that was a golden opportunity to come out with a new cassette standard)
- It seems the only downgrade from XO.1 is the steel cage. I was expecting shittier tolerances all around, bushing instead of bearings, etc.
- The overload clutch protection thing seems brilliant. Did the XO.1 AXS have this feature already? If so, I was not aware of it.

Sorry for being so positive about a 600$US upgrade we probably don't need. I am always first in line to complain about everything related to the bike industry, but I feel I have a moral obligation to point out that they did it right this time! :)

Last edited:

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
As an attempt to get this thread back on topic, I'd point out that the SRAM GX AXS should qualify as being something that's right with the industry:
- It is 100% compatible with the rest of the Eagle line-up (The Lizards must have been napping during that Critical Design Review meeting, because that was a golden opportunity to come out with a new cassette standard)
- It seems the only downgrade from XO.1 is the steel cage. I was expecting shittier tolerances all around, bushing instead of bearings, etc.
- The overload clutch protection thing seems brilliant. Did the XO.1 AXS have this feature already? If so, I was not aware of it.

Sorry for being so positive about a 600$US upgrade we probably don't need. I am always first inline to complain about everything related to the bike industry, but I feel I have a moral obligation to point out that they did it right this time! :)
From all i have gathered it is the steel cage. shifter looks slightly different but who knows. Overall a steal for the slight weight gain. The Xo1 and XX1 both had the overload clutch- works like a champ!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm guessing AXS GX is priced relatively low to hold/secure its competitive position relative to Shimano. Particularly since we keep hearing rumors of more electronic (and possibly wireless) groups coming from Shimano.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
SRAM GX AXS
I might have been interested if they made it 11 speed compatible...

it is still 250g more unsprung weight compared to a X01 11 speed rear mech. I know that it seems like a drop in the ocean if one considers the pie-sized cassette mounted on super-wide 29" rims with cushcore and your favourite casing... so 250g more for what actually? A cleaner cockpit?

Sorry for the rant-ish in a thread about good things. Maybe I had a bad day at the office :boss:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

it is still 250g more unsprung weight compared to a X01 11 speed rear mech. I know that it seems like a drop in the ocean if one considers the pie-sized cassette mounted on super-wide 29" rims with cushcore and your favourite casing... so 250g more for what actually? A cleaner cockpit?

Sorry for the rant-ish in a thread about good things. Maybe I had a bad day at the office :boss:
there are certain segments of the "mountain biking" "community" that are extreme prima donnas... they don't even consider a bike if it has externally routed cables.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
a dude local had a small one clip him. thankfully uninjured, but he made quick work of getting out of the woods. a wise choice, considering it occurred at the start of the storm that brought these trees down (and many more just like them)....

View attachment 158403

View attachment 158404

View attachment 158406
The tree in that last picture is about the size of the one that fell next to our group last summer.

And it fell in a spot where we normally stop to make sure everyone is still there, but for whatever reason, I was leading and went up the hill 20 or so more feet. That tree would have crushed all of us if we had stopped where we normally do.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The tree in that last picture is about the size of the one that fell next to our group last summer.

And it fell in a spot where we normally stop to make sure everyone is still there, but for whatever reason, I was leading and went up the hill 20 or so more feet. That tree would have crushed all of us if we had stopped where we normally do.
this storm dropped dozens of trees at the trail network. looked like a warzone. there are still some to this day that haven't been removed. there were a could that were over 3' in diameter, one of the local riders has a saw with a 36" bar and he had to make multiple passes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

That would make it well over a pound, wow. I thought there were hacks where you could set these up for 11spd?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Sorry for being so positive about a 600$US upgrade we probably don't need. I am always first inline to complain about everything related to the bike industry, but I feel I have a moral obligation to point out that they did it right this time! :)
is AXS more than just "cool wireless" factor? like, it definitely has a cool factor but does it solve any real significant problems that I'm not aware of?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
is AXS more than just "cool wireless" factor? like, it definitely has a cool factor but does it solve any real significant problems that I'm not aware of?
Never goes out of adjustment. Like not even a little. Also faster and easier shifts.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The overload clutch is pretty nice, but apart from that, I agree it's not something I am particularly interested in.

To be clear, I am not saying AXS is amazing, I am just pointing out the fact that it is completely compatible with the rest of the Eagle line, which I find quite refreshing. Also, it should not be a slop-fest derailleur like the cable-actuated GX.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
It's got a few "nice to have" features:
1) if you want to clean the derailleur jockey wheels, you can just unscrew the derailleur from your bike and scrub it. You're not attaching a cable, so as long as you don't touch the limits/b-tension, you won't have to adjust anything when you reinstall
2) Ditto for the dropper
3) the micro-adjust on the derailleur is nice for fine tuning alignment to get things quieter/better aligned than you can with a cable
4) no cable/housing stretch.
5) no cable/housing corrosion leading to stiffer/worse shifting.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm sort of in the camp that it solves a bunch of problems we don't really have, in exchange for other potential problems (like running out of juice) and lots of money. That said, I've used it and it works great, and the people I know who have it really seem to love it (even those that don't pay for their stuff).

I'd be pretty worried about smashing the rear derailleur, but if we're being fair, SRAM derailleurs are super durable these days.

Anyway, resistance is futile, it'll all be integrated with our e-bikes and controlled by telepathy soon enough anyway.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
It's got a few "nice to have" features:
1) if you want to clean the derailleur jockey wheels, you can just unscrew the derailleur from your bike and scrub it. You're not attaching a cable, so as long as you don't touch the limits/b-tension, you won't have to adjust anything when you reinstall
2) Ditto for the dropper
3) the micro-adjust on the derailleur is nice for fine tuning alignment to get things quieter/better aligned than you can with a cable
4) no cable/housing stretch.
5) no cable/housing corrosion leading to stiffer/worse shifting.
I would have to add on an ebike, you don't have to drop the motor for a simple derailleur cable swap. Which would normally be a 15 min job, but on your ebike is a 2 hour job. (I have converted to AXS for pretty much exactly this reason and it is AWESOME)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I think I'd rather have a bike on me than a pocket knife
1617235551222.png

I have the Archer wireless shifter. Apart from the lack of cables, the biggest advantage is per-cog calibration for any number of cogs and any RD. I wish the AXS had the same level of flexibility.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
View attachment 158433

I have the Archer wireless shifter. Apart from the lack of cables, the biggest advantage is per-cog calibration for any number of cogs and any RD. I wish the AXS had the same level of flexibility.
The best advantage of the wireless shifting thing seems to be dead batteries that allow you to have suspiciously well-timed "maintenance breaks" mid-ride.

:p

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I guess in time somebody will create an alternate phone app which will allow to hack the AXS gruppos to make them work with any number of cogs. The programming is done via the app as in the Archer combo after all.
I'm waiting for Shimano to release a signal jammer

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I like the Etap wireless on my roadbike, not sure I want the electronics on my mountain bikes.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Said this before, but I used to look after fixing electronics in a food facility that was cleaned with high pressure hoses. I'm curious to see how this stuff and e-bikes handle MTBers pressure cleaning shit. It might be fine I guess, but I'm sure the combination of wear and tear, crash damage etc will eventually stuff the IP ratings.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think SRAM did a good job of leap-frogging Shimano with AXS in general. My pivot has all kinds of small holes for the intent of running Di2, but AXS is just such a better idea. They leap-frogged them with 1x, then with AXS and now with AXS GX. It's not that the shimano stuff is terrible, it's not, but SRAM has been pushing drivetrain development for more than a decade now, in a generally good direction. Somehow they haven't needed to even change the chainring BCD, like shimano does every year. People using AXS during the winter here with no issues. Charge maybe 3x during the winter.