Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Profile finally do a Titanium free hub for the elite hubs, fatties and bike passengers rejoice!
Wow, only 35 years late

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You got one of those?

they are

so

fucking

loud :rofl:
Wife and I both had them on our commuter bikes for years in NYC. Given a bell is fucking useless there, they were awesome. Can't remember what happened to our second, but the one Toshi has now was one of our old ones.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I still like loud hubs. In the early 00's, I really loved the sound of the Ringlé Abbah DH (36 POE) and I still do. I also really like the sound of my RaceFace Vault (120POE).

Now that bikes are more quiet than they've ever been, I'd be super interested to try an Onyx hub.
I love the Onyx classic I have on the trailbike. The engagement is very nice in the tech and I actually like the "soft" engagement that some dislike about the sprag clutch. immediate but not harsh or jarring. Also, it is amazing how much more wildlife you see when not accompanied by a swarm of angry bees.

The Hope on the DH bike annoys me for a run, then it usually fades into the background but I am always aware of it.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Also, it is amazing how much more wildlife you see when not accompanied by a swarm of angry bees.
I've been trying to find the maker behind my Radius hubs. I think it's Shun Feng, but I haven't been able to find a similar model in their catalog. It's a six pawl, 108 POE freehub, but surprisingly the Microspline version is a lot quieter than the XD or HG ones.

As you say, riding my local trails at the evening with a silent bike allows me to run into a lot of wildlife. Last Saturday I almost crashed when a wild turkey jumped into the trail just two meters in front of me :no:.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I would vastly prefer at this point to see absolutely no wildlife above about five pounds when I’m riding, except maybe deer, elk, fox, ermine, pine martens, owls, and such.
Wolves don’t really bother me, but everything else around here?
No thanks!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I sort of love/hate when they don't hear you after you try being nice and ask several times at escalating volume and they still don't hear, only to shriek in fear/surprise/anger when you give up and go by anyway. Usually I just tap an ear and keep moving.
I have similar experiences with people sans earbuds, usually too wrapped up with chattering away to notice what is going on around them. Usually the same people who carry bear spray.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
this is why when at all possible i ride in either the most remote places possible or at bike parks...at least in the latter case it's fine to either scream at people to gtf out of the trail or buzz them at high speeds...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Hmm. "Running into wildlife" by showing up silently may not always be, like, a super great thing.
The wild boar I ended up chasing against my will six months ago was the wildest, biggest thing I ran into in 27 years of riding the same trail system. The Argentinian pampas aren't full of bears/wildcats/coyotes/wolves/rattlesnakes, etc. as you guys have up North, or the myriad of poisonous critters @toodles has to run away from in Oz.

Here you could maybe find a couple yarará snakes, wild turkeys, howling monkeys and in some very rare cases, capybaras and otters. The biggest risk in our humid summers is getting eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Every hiker I pass gets the same thing: From 150ish feet away it's a loud & cheerful "Hey, how's it goin?", repeated from a little closer if they don't hear the first one.
Then a moment after they turn and look I always say "Oh, that's fine, I have plenty of room." This prevents the ones with no depth perception from scrambling and falling as they try to get farther out of the way than necessary and it sets their mind at ease that this is a mellow situation with no need for concern.
As I'm about to come by I say, "Thanks so much, have a great day."

This is all so automatic that I don't even have to think about it and I don't have to slow down anywhere near as much as I used to. It's all about taking control of the perception of the situation before they can misjudge it. Haven't had a bad encounter (with someone who can hear) since I started doing this a few years ago.

The couple of times it hasn't worked because of headphones I felt they deserved the scare they got.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Every hiker I pass gets the same thing: From 150ish feet away it's a loud & cheerful "Hey, how's it goin?", repeated from a little closer if they don't hear the first one.
Then a moment after they turn and look I always say "Oh, that's fine, I have plenty of room." This prevents the ones with no depth perception from scrambling and falling as they try to get farther out of the way than necessary and it sets their mind at ease that this is a mellow situation with no need for concern.

This is all so automatic that I don't even have to think about it and I don't have to slow down anywhere near as much as I used to. It's all about taking control of the perception of the situation before they can misjudge it. Haven't had a bad encounter (with someone who can hear) since I started doing this a few years ago.

The couple of times it hasn't worked because of headphones I felt they deserved the scare they got.
basically, exactly this

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Yep.

My elevator pitch usually starts with "Mountain biker sneaking up on you!" I say it with a smile. That tends to get people surprised and quickly move out of the way. Most trail users know what that means. And like Leland, you say thanks. Maybe you engage into a conversation with your fellow trail users. Imagine that.

If that doesn't work. Then, a "On your left!" Then a thanks.

But if they don't hear any of that? Meh. Not my problem.

I've had a hiker tell me this isn't a mtb trail. And I'm like girl, I've been riding here for over 20 years. If I say this is an mtb trail. It is. Not my fault you can't read a map. :D

Oh, and your dog needs to be on leash. If you really want to follow the rules.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

Hell yeah this is gonna be dope. I had a peek at some of the features a couple of weeks ago and they were wild. Just hope the course builders get its all dialled in time for the event.
I really hope some of those DH alts (Loic, Booker, Gracey) get the nod, if no other reason than to show that the riders want more than bike park races.

Edit: according to PB comments, "Alt" means they're in for 1 race of the 2. In this case, the alts listed so far are racing Taz, and there will be a new list of alts for just Wales. Which is cool, if confusing.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Yep.

My elevator pitch usually starts with "Mountain biker sneaking up on you!" I say it with a smile. That tends to get people surprised and quickly move out of the way. Most trail users know what that means. And like Leland, you say thanks. Maybe you engage into a conversation with your fellow trail users. Imagine that.

If that doesn't work. Then, a "On your left!" Then a thanks.

But if they don't hear any of that? Meh. Not my problem.

I've had a hiker tell me this isn't a mtb trail. And I'm like girl, I've been riding here for over 20 years. If I say this is an mtb trail. It is. Not my fault you can't read a map. :D

Oh, and your dog needs to be on leash. If you really want to follow the rules.
Worst encounters I have had lately were actually from riders attempting to climb the DH trails.

I'm literally off the trail in the bushes trying to avoid them and still get the;

"Uphill has right of way bud"

As the dumb ass is walking their bike up the middle of the trail.... :thumbsdown:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Worst encounters I have had lately were actually from riders attempting to climb the DH trails.

I'm literally off the trail in the bushes trying to avoid them and still get the;

As the dumb ass is walking their bike up the middle of the trail.... :thumbsdown:
Yeah, that's down right dangerous. And just plain ignorant.

We don't have any "dh specific" trails here in my locals. But if you know, you know. There's a little unwritten law here. But yeah, sometimes you get newbs/outoftowners/tourons/high school kids that don't know. So my days of Strava and KOM's are over cuz I don't feel like running over a high school kid, Karen and her dog, or Jack Black with a hatchet. All of them freak me out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
IMBA should post this at trailheads instead of the sign saying bikes yield to hikers. That hasn't happened once since the invention of hikers.
Some of the sanctioned trails here tell hikers to get the fuck out of the way, which should be the case for purpose built trails.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I really hope some of those DH alts (Loic, Booker, Gracey
Honestly don't care if those three turn up at all but would def like to see Remy hit the course on his 24" wheeler no drivetrain franken-bike

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I know of a way to make sure they don't do it again :)