Quantcast

This is probably a horrible idea......

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
without opening the picture, i thought you had flipped them over, not just swapped them.

looks like each of those stem peices are still being applied as designed, given they are switched. maybe its even better w/ a wider clamp area?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
without opening the picture, i thought you had flipped them over, not just swapped them.

looks like each of those stem peices are still being applied as designed, given they are switched. maybe its even better w/ a wider clamp area?
yeah, i just swapped them...that's what i was going for; the wider clamping area...stiffer and probably helps the bars feel a little stiffer too, now that we're all running super wide bars these days....i just don't want to be the guinea pig here....

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I've always thought about doing this, I've even contemplated the idea if hacking my sunline down the middle of the fron plate and running it like that. But as long as it works the way it is... although the other way has the advantage of being laterally stiffer

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
How much stiffness are you really gaining with the downside being a stem a failure? My gut instinct is that it will be fine but I'm not sure I'd want to be the guinea pig to find out.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
A friend of mine ran his point1 for at least a season in the alps with the same setup, there were no problems.

I'm not sure what the official word is, but I'd say you'll be fine.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I cant see any issues with it, I mean they built the stem toug for a reason to begin with. As for voiding the warranty, if you should ever have an issue.... dont volunteer the info that they were swapped side to side....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Don't bother. My e13 stem clamped where my bar started to taper and couldn't get tight enough to clamp without play. I would imagine most bars have a taper that starts at least at that point.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
How many mm have you actually gained in clamping distance?

if its only a few mm I don't think you will notice anything. Even if it was like past 5mm each side i still don't think you would notice any thing really.

In your head you might ;-)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I don't get this trend. Maybe I'm blindly trusting in component mfg's, but I'm pretty sure if sunline, straitline, easton, etc produce bars and stems that are x wide with y clamping area, they probably thought to themselves at one point or another "we should test this and make sure the bars/stem can withstand clamping y area with z force." I might be going out on a limb here, but why is the internet suddenly so convinced that the component mfg's have no idea what they're doing, and that they know best? When was the last time you saw a broken set of bars? Stem? The last few times I've seen any, it was on really old clapped out crap that should have been replaced 3-4 years ago.

And as far as stiffness goes, who the hell is looking for more stiffness in their handlebars? Maybe its because I'm 175lbs and don't notice any flex, but its not like bars are flexing enough to fyck steering in any way shape or form, and I sure as hell appreciate having a little flex when I'm on my 16th run at northstar for the day.

But I could be utterly stupid.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I don't get this trend. Maybe I'm blindly trusting in component mfg's, but I'm pretty sure if sunline, straitline, easton, etc produce bars and stems that are x wide with y clamping area, they probably thought to themselves at one point or another "we should test this and make sure the bars/stem can withstand clamping y area with z force." I might be going out on a limb here, but why is the internet suddenly so convinced that the component mfg's have no idea what they're doing, and that they know best? When was the last time you saw a broken set of bars? Stem? The last few times I've seen any, it was on really old clapped out crap that should have been replaced 3-4 years ago.

And as far as stiffness goes, who the hell is looking for more stiffness in their handlebars? Maybe its because I'm 175lbs and don't notice any flex, but its not like bars are flexing enough to fyck steering in any way shape or form, and I sure as hell appreciate having a little flex when I'm on my 16th run at northstar for the day.

Ever heard of a guy called Smokey Yunick?

I'm not saying there is any massive benefit to doing stuff like this, but the spirit of unconventional innovation should be encouraged, not squashed...

A friend of mine ran his point1 for at least a season in the alps with the same setup, there were no problems.

I'm not sure what the official word is, but I'd say you'll be fine.
Firstly...I'm no friend of yours Udi!

Secondly, I've run my point one DM like that for 2 seasons now with plenty of crashes and no issues.

I find it looks better, which makes me cooler;)...to cool to be udi's friend anyway;)

One poster did talk sense about making sure your bar does not start to taper before the outer edge of the reorientated clamp.

The clamping width is greatly increased, I would say around 1 inch. That can't be bad.

JT

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

Sounds like you haven't seen the prototype Easton setup with a much wider clamp. Bars have gotten wider, clamps haven't. What do you think is the next step? Hint: Look at a dirtbike's clamps.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I think that it depends on the bar. If it is internally "butted" in the center for withstanding the clamping forces then NO, don't use it like that. If it is straight-guage and doesn't taper before the clamp area than I would think it would be fine to use like that.

My e-speculation at least.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001

i've seen broken stems and bars, and personally i've bent a few bars....as bars get wider and stronger they put more leverage on stems, that's why easton is toying with this 35mm bulge, and wider stance stem....

i put a renthal bar on my bike and it weighs 100 grams more than my boobar, i know that fukker isn't gonna fail, so it makes me a little nervous about the stem....

going wider in the stem stance isn't just a pointless trend...it goes hand in hand with wider bars....did you think 29" bars were stupid when everyone was riding 26.5" Titec handlebars on their DH bikes? maybe, but then you probably rode something wider and liked it....same with switching bulge diameter to 31.8...look what happened, it got adapted to road bikes and motocross bikes.....

technology and standards go back and forth between industries like that all the time....as lelandjt said, look at mx bikes....their clamp width is wider than the average DH stem, and it's proportionate to bar width....

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Firstly...I'm no friend of yours Udi!

Secondly, I've run my point one DM like that for 2 seasons now with plenty of crashes and no issues.

I find it looks better, which makes me cooler;)...to cool to be udi's friend anyway;)

One poster did talk sense about making sure your bar does not start to taper before the outer edge of the reorientated clamp.

The clamping width is greatly increased, I would say around 1 inch. That can't be bad.

JT
ok, after hearing this, now i'm tempted to actually try it :)

still makes me nervous, but it's good to hear from a real world guinea pig

thanks
IC

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I ran my Deity stem like this for a while and it was fine. Changed back when I ran a bar with a narrower clamping area.

I'm about the biggest critic of anything on here and I don't see any problems with it so long as you aren't hanging off the edge of the crown in some weird way or clamping the bar where it's already bending. Just use common sense.

The reason manufacturers DON'T make their stems that wide is because they have to design to whatever handlebars have the narrowest clamping area. If all handlebars had a wider clamping area, I bet anything you'd see stem clamping widths increase.