Quantcast

This is pretty awesome: Dog and DH =)

rider151

Chimp
Sep 11, 2008
San Diego
Awesome vid! If your thinking about a Vizsla that vid represents anywhere from about 1/8th - 1/32 of the exercise they need per day depending on the particular bloodline haha . They can go all day any day. Awesome dogs and I doubt I'll ever own another breed.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That's some seriously dialled line choice!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
My Dawg. .
. 293218_10150930389242947_1604019428_n.jpg 10ft+ double......................................................... .
240485_10152144722575595_534342006_o.jpg On Boost, Block Pass.
My Dogs got full blown ADD, If she doesn't go riding at least every second day she reaps havoc on the yard, shoes, etc.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009

Me (Stripey green shirt) and my Dog "Makulu" also at Swinley. Not DH, but he loves it.
Need to get him out a bit more, getting a bit chubby as the kids have been taking up all my time :(

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Me (Stripey green shirt) and my Dog "Makulu" also at Swinley. Not DH, but he loves it.
Need to get him out a bit more, getting a bit chubby as the kids have been taking up all my time :(
Ha ha, he's rad. Like a remote control car. Must get puffed on long rides crankin those lil legs. Like doing XC on a BMX.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Ha ha, he's rad. Like a remote control car. Must get puffed on long rides crankin those lil legs. Like doing XC on a BMX.
LOL, precisely! :D
I'm always surprised how well he does with those short little legs... and the lack of a nose :d

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hey NSM, what breed/s of dog is that, Red cattle/Kelpie?

Cool lookin dog anyways.
Definitely mainly red cattle, her temperament(angry little bitch)says that as much as her build and marking placement, the rest I'm not sure, Boxer, maybe.
IMG_1830.JPG

My older dog had a higher top speed(RidgeBack? X Harlequin Great Dane), but didn't have the acceleration.
IMG_1828.JPG
Both do/did the madest four claw drifts. The big dog used to leave ten inch long claw slide marks on fast of camber corners.
LOL, precisely! :D
I'm always surprised how well he does with those short little legs... and the lack of a nose :d
Ram air, LOL.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wow your older dog looks like it is plotting your murder.

But yeah the red has an odd shaped head, you might be spot on with the Boxxer guess, send it to Sram to get the temperament sorted.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
How do you guys make sure that you don't run your dog over?
Free running dogs on a trail always scare the sh!t out of me. Had a couple of encounters with dogs from hikers already. :(

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I used to take my dog, a long legged mixed breed who looks like a Doberman, chow an Lab had too much fun. But he ran wide open, all day every day when we hit trails. He'd strip his pads, hurt his shoulders, you name it. I saw a buddy's dog who was already limping at age 6, so I shut him down at 5. At 8 he developed issues with his shoulders that have continued to his current age of 13.

I'm not a fan of letting dogs run with bikes. They destroy themselves internally out of loyalty to us. Just doesn't seem right.

And to all those that say "Oh, they're built for it." Nope. They are not and no situation in nature has ever forced a dog to do the things they have to do to keep up with us for the length of a bike ride, big or small.

I await your hate. :(

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
No hate, you obviously care for your pet and it's a very respectable outlook on it.
Makulu loves every second of "riding"and starts barking at me if I take a rest, he doesn't just do it out of loyalty.

Besides, my DH (and other sports I do) aren't always all that great for my health and beats up my body, but I'd rather crawl and limp to my grave with a semi in tact body, than reaching it with a perfectly perserved one.

I'm sure my little buddy feels the same, though I doubt what I'm putting him through is to his health's detriment.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
And to all those that say "Oh, they're built for it." Nope. They are not and no situation in nature has ever forced a dog to do the things they have to do to keep up with us for the length of a bike ride, big or small.

Uhhmm, have you ever seen wolves hunt on Nat Geo? They run for miles through tundra with far more obstacles than the trails that were just shown. Aside from that, consider the dogs that run the Iditarod and Yukon Quest. Those are races that are over 1000 Mi and last for a week.

I'm not really disagreeing with you completely though, it takes a certain type of dog for those tasks and they train like elite athletes. The average house dog is certainly at risk for injury.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I used to take my dog, a long legged mixed breed who looks like a Doberman, chow an Lab had too much fun. But he ran wide open, all day every day when we hit trails. He'd strip his pads, hurt his shoulders, you name it. I saw a buddy's dog who was already limping at age 6, so I shut him down at 5. At 8 he developed issues with his shoulders that have continued to his current age of 13.

I'm not a fan of letting dogs run with bikes. They destroy themselves internally out of loyalty to us. Just doesn't seem right.

I think it depends on a lot of things, namely what kind of dog and what kind of pace/mileage you're planning on doing. I had an eskimo spitz that I rode with extensively through the first 10 or so years of his life. He wasn't a full-on pinner, but he got around surprisingly well, especially on trails that he knew (i.e. huge short cuts). But more than anything, I took frequent breaks at creeks/watering holes, didn't usually go over 4 or 5 miles, and just never pushed the pace. It was like a hang over ride pace, mainly because it usually was a hang over ride. He also just loped along at a pace comfortable for him, so I just matched it and slowed down after any downhill sections. I never took him on legit DH runs, except one time I kinda lollygagged down Wintergreen with him and rode the lift back up with :thumb:

He made it to 15 and never displayed any serious joint issues until the very end. Had some of the best rides of my life with just him & me, and I miss him everytime I get the bike out.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I take my dog out on rides a lot. On the climbs she waits for me and on the downhill I just slow up in the flatter spots so she can hang. She does tear up her pads if I have not brought her out in a while, but if I build back into it with 2-3 mile rides a few times a week, she can go pretty dang far. It is usually HER pushing the pace/distance. Again, frequent stops for water (she drinks from my camelback) and she seems to be just fine.

If I take her out on a plain old run for 5-6 miles she is totally bored. She loves "opening it up" so to speak.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It's clearly my dogs decision. It is based on loyalty, but my dogs bred to run after cattle. Yes she will be punished for it in her older years, but if she knew that, she'd do it anyway I'm sure. When I'm out digging, and dudes ride past, I let her chase them until they stop and she returns.
Yes it's dangerous for us both, but that just adds to the whole thrill, the reason I ride anyway.
There's this one pretty big jump on a trail I ride, she comes in next to me on the B line, and crosses under me as I jump, scares the **** out of me every run, if she opts for the down ramp, we'll both have serious injuries. I know where she is always, if she's going to cut me off I just yell at her like a madman and she backs off. She's at my feet now, and will be blocking the front door if she hears keys to be sure to get out on the next adventure. I'll try take my Go Pro today and get some footage.
I give her fish oil for her joints, and a bit of glucosamine every now and then.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
kinda looked like she had a oh sh!t moment but turned it into something cool looking :D
I've seen my dog have oh sh!t moments, then then turn it into a faceplant. Pretty hilarious to think that dogs crash sometimes. They are so prolific at haulin ass through the woods that a dog "crashing" wasn't something I really thought was possible until I got my pooch.

PS- I love the shortcuts that the dog is taking. Pretty freakin' awesome.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Awesome vid! If your thinking about a Vizsla that vid represents anywhere from about 1/8th - 1/32 of the exercise they need per day depending on the particular bloodline haha . They can go all day any day. Awesome dogs and I doubt I'll ever own another breed.
I was WONDERING what breed that was! With all of the angular facial features and lines, to me it looked like a Lamborghini designed Labrador. :D

The idea of using the rearward facing helmet cam with the dog following was actually the first time I felt like I was watching a worthwhile use of that angle.

Judging by the dog's line choice, I think I definitely need to get one of these to follow during practice.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Can't wait till my pup can go on full rides

Ozzy Blue heeler. What most of my dog is I think. You're not in Oz are you? Are they expensive over there? Got Dingo in them you know(hence why they yap not bark), Dalmatian and something else(can't recall). Awesome breed. super loyal even if you have a dog not a bitch.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Ozzy Blue heeler. What most of my dog is I think. You're not in Oz are you? Are they expensive over there? Got Dingo in them you know(hence why they yap not bark), Dalmatian and something else(can't recall). Awesome breed. super loyal even if you have a dog not a bitch.
Nope, not in Oz. I got her (Roo) from a cattle farm in Virginia, Her dad was a full time working dog. She does Yap a little bit, she actually hardly ever barks/yaps, maybe 10 times a week. I read this is because the ranchers bred it out of them to keep from scaring cattle and causing stampedes when they were driving them across country. The ranchers mixed in Dalmatians to make them more comfortable around horses. She's a great dog so far, she has pretty good stamina, we've gone on 10+ mile runs in the city and 5-6 mile trail runs. Haven't had our first xc ride yet...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I'll gently disagree with the "wolves" theory seeing as they are purpose bred killing machines with starvation as their sole motivator.

Jackalope, your guy sounds like your guy knew his limits. Mine has never, ever known his limits unfortunately. I went to Beech once with my hand in a cast to watch the race. He bolted after a group of 3 riders and made it to the pavement crossing. I thought I'd lost him, but he showed back up tongue dragging 30 minutes later just destroyed exhausted with a bloody pad. They said he destroyed the old rock garden going by. :think:

Jeremy R & FCLinder have witnessed his utter willingness to pin at all all cost. I just think his head has too tiny of a brain to operate such a big body. Found a pic of him pre and post summer shave.

The look on his face is when he sees the trimmer in my hand....:rofl:

And realizing he's still alive:

I miss him riding with me, but taking him riding with that mentality tore him up before his time.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/245308/[/video]
My dog shredding. She is 8 now, still rips.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I read this is because the ranchers bred it out of them to keep from scaring cattle and causing stampedes when they were driving them across country. The ranchers mixed in Dalmatians to make them more comfortable around horses.
It's the Dingo in them that stops the barking. Dingoes don't bark. Awesome dogs.

Jackalope, your guy sounds like your guy knew his limits. Mine has never, ever known his limits unfortunately. I went to Beech once with my hand in a cast to watch the race. He bolted after a group of 3 riders and made it to the pavement crossing. I thought I'd lost him, but he showed back up tongue dragging 30 minutes later just destroyed exhausted with a bloody pad. They said he destroyed the old rock garden going by. :think:

Jeremy R & FCLinder have witnessed his utter willingness to pin at all all cost. I just think his head has too tiny of a brain to operate such a big body. Found a pic of him pre and post summer shave.

The look on his face is when he sees the trimmer in my hand....:rofl:

I miss him riding with me, but taking him riding with that mentality tore him up before his time.
Your dog looks pretty labrador, not the best genetically designed dog. I don't think I'd bike ride with a lab or any pet-agree dog accept maybe a Blue Heeler or Kelpie. I also wouldn't ride with a short legged dog often, I think they'd wear out prematurely. But hell, if they love it and you can taylor it to suit them, it sure makes their lives more worth living. I don't think you should run young dogs either.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
It's the Dingo in them that stops the barking. Dingoes don't bark. Awesome dogs.

Your dog looks pretty labrador, not the best genetically designed dog. I don't think I'd bike ride with a lab or any pet-agree dog accept maybe a Blue Heeler or Kelpie. I also wouldn't ride with a short legged dog often, I think they'd wear out prematurely. But hell, if they love it and you can taylor it to suit them, it sure makes their lives more worth living. I don't think you should run young dogs either.
FYI....he is 20lbs overweight in those pics. He was very lean more like a greyhound at 55lbs. 75lbs now. When people would say their dog was fast and wired, I'd mention mine.

Once they rode with me, the consensus was that mine was just obsessed.

Wish Jeremy R would chime in. He explains better in fewer words.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
FYI....he is 20lbs overweight in those pics. He was very lean more like a greyhound at 55lbs. 75lbs now. When people would say their dog was fast and wired, I'd mention mine.

Once they rode with me, the consensus was that mine was just obsessed.

Wish Jeremy R would chime in. He explains better in fewer words.
Oh okay, sorry.
If he had the choice now, what do you think his decision would be about riding in his youth?