Quantcast

Think I'm drinking the Koolaid...

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
...and finally going tubeless.

I remember the initial Mavic offerings were soft as cheese. Fixed now?

Other tham Mavic, are there any other DH-worthy tubeless-ready rims out there?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
A bit of background to put things in perspective - I've destroyed 721s in a single day, took me about a month to crack (in several places), dent and flatspot a Mag30, and I've completely wrecked numerous other rims in fairly short spaces of time. This is partly because I'm a hack, but mostly because I'm a hack. I'm also about 200lbs.

I've been running 823s for the past 2 months or so, and I've taken them to all the roughest, most brutal rim-eating tracks we have down here... and they still don't show any sign of real damage. No flatspots (though a slight side-to-side buckle in the rear one that I haven't been bothered to true out), no dents, no sidewalls caving in, no cracks, no spokes losing tension from the rim gradually getting bashed closer to the hub, nothing. I was pretty worried when I bought them that I'd kill em quick (and they are freaking expensive, over here at least), but I've been pleasantly surprised - they've been great so far. Having said that, I'll probably write one off tomorrow, but in all seriousness I've been quite impressed. They're certainly not made out of the play-doh that the originals were said to be.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Same as the story above.
I've destroyed 2 sets of 721s, and a rear 729, not to mention some Single Tracks, and Performance brand Loco's. Been on the same 823's for the past 9 months, no dents, no cracks, and still going true. At Mt. Snow this year I flatted 3 times in a row in two runs. First flat was a dual flat, second was the rear on the next run, close to the top, was so annoyed to have not made it down the hill 2 runs in a row I said **** it and rode anyways. Slick Rock Hwy, plus just the general nastyness of that course, still riding decently paced for having a flat, no rim damage beyond some scuffs to the paint from all the rocks.
823's are the best rim of choice to me, at 235lbs. And I'm on Hadley's too. Would have stuck with Hopes if they had better engagement.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
This kind of depends on whether you want to run UST tires, or rim strips.
Rim strips are cheaper and can be lighter if you pick the right rim.
Do you already have a decent set of wheels? If so, try the ghetto setup. It works quite well and olny costs about $20. If it doesn't work for you, you'll still use the sealant if you decide to go UST.
FYI, tire choice is really important with ghetto. I've had perfect results with Maxxis, not so much with other brands.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
F King hubs. Headsets yes, but hubs no.
Why?

Everything on em including bearings is rebuild able and I have sent hubs to em that were totally f***d up due to rider lack of maintenance or rider f***d up maintenance and they fixed em and only charged shipping.

I'll admit the seals in muddy conditions call for tear apart and cleaning on a routine but easily sourced parts from king anytime needed.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
823s on industry nine-wont die
my original 823s on sun ringle and specialized hubs-still alive

one of the original rims was raced down an entire dh course in the rain with the tire half on and half off. it is perfectly true and holds the bead fine.

*hype is true*

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I have had my 823's laced to hope hubs for 3yrs(well read below), the original 823 sucked but that was 4-5yrs ago.

I did kill my rear 823 once about 2.5yrs ago, cased a 15x10ft step down, the rear wheel landed on a large rock, huge flat spot, maybe concave. it was still holding air though.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
only way to sip koolaid is go 29er..... also for the people who like loud hubs.... noise is friction! friction is drag. drag makes you go slower. quiet hubs should in theory have less friction, drag, and be faster.

Jun 12, 2008
I tear my Hadley hubs down every year. Been working great since 2004, replaced the sealed bearings just once in 5 years. Good product, great service.

Hadley Racing
1-909-946-6780 M-F 9 to 6 pm Pacific Time.

Where to send them if you need them serviced
Hadley Racing
1937 W 11th St. Unit "A"
Upland, CA 91786

Hadley Hubs are simply the best. Some of their owners, however are tools, that don't take good care of their racing equipment and service it regularly.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Hadley Hubs are simply the best. Some of their owners, however are tools, that don't take good care of their racing equipment and service it regularly.
If I pay MORE for hubs I expect to do LESS maintenance on them - if I wanted to be fixing stuff all the time I'd buy cheap crap. My WTB rear hub got pulled down once in 5 years. It's still going strong on a mate's bike. Still even has the original bearings in it. Expensive hubs can therefore suck my nuts.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I have been using 823's laced to Hope Bulb hubs for 2.5+yrs Never had any issue. I had a flat spot in the front rim, but I think it was due to the spokes not being tensioned correctly by a certain wheel builder. ME. LOL. Still with the flat spot I rode the SH** out of them for more then 1.5yrs. They have held up to some of the most brutal tracks, gaps and jumps I could throw at them. Ie: Angel Fire, Bootleg, Keystone, Sol Vista, Vail, Etc.

I recently decided that it was time for a new set and rebuilt with new 823 Rims and new spokes to the same hubs. This time all tensioned correctly!!

Good for another 2.5-3yrs!!! :cheers:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
only way to sip koolaid is go 29er..... also for the people who like loud hubs.... noise is friction! friction is drag. drag makes you go slower. quiet hubs should in theory have less friction, drag, and be faster.
umm no.:stosh:
edit- Hope pro2 / or Dt Swiss 440 laced to 823 is one of the most indestructible wheels I have ever seen.

Last edited:

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
So what else did you learn in class today?

OP, if you want tubeless go Mavic UST. It is way more dependable and easier to setup than any of the ghetto setups. You won't be disappointed.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
you can drink the kool-aid, just don't drink the latex sealant.
yuck. I agree...
Latex is good for two things: tubeless tires, or Asian girls in nurse outfits.
Not drinking.

Surprised to see this thread still rocking.
Funny how it got into the same old Hope/Hadley/King arguement... I'm keeping the hubs I have, couldn't be happier with them.
Will lace up 823s right after I move to my new place in a couple weeks, with the new project done hopefully sometime soon after.