Quantcast

The Zerode thread

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
What about a 30T front chain ring instead of changing the rear cog?
Although this would be good for ground clearance, there are two problems with it.
I don't think you can fit a 30T ring on a standard 104mm 4-bolt crank.
You would be outside the recommended 2:1 input ratio for the Alfine, and would be more likely to break it.

Edit: Homebrewed components makes a 31T. That's the smallest I've seen.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Although this would be good for ground clearance, there are two problems with it.
I don't think you can fit a 30T ring on a standard 104mm 4-bolt crank.
You would be outside the recommended 2:1 input ratio for the Alfine, and would be more likely to break it.

Edit: Homebrewed components makes a 31T. That's the smallest I've seen.
I sent an email to Rob and you are right. It's not good for the Alfine hub.

It wouldn't help with ground clearance though. The frame is lower than the chainring.

Rob said the only safe way to get lower gearing is a rear cog. He runs a 35T on the carbon AM and he said its about perfect for climbing but the top end would never work on a DH bike.

I think I'll just try a 23T rear cog and call it good. I just wanna pedal up a few trails to get some DH. If the climbs are very long Ill just use my AM bike.

http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/8980409/

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I ride my 23tooth when everyone else on stock DH bike gearing are walking.
2 teeth on the rear is lower than 2 teeth less on the front. Nearly twice as low I think.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Custom clear plastic mud guard to keep crap out of the gearbox area.
Next I'd like to find a tidier way to attach it. Maybe velcro.

Abrasive waterjet is a handy tool.
Zelvy is working on a carbon/Kevlar cover for the Alfine.

I made one out of plastic for muddy days.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Zerode have found a way to replace the Shimano gripshift for their Alfine:

I've been hunting for an alternative shifter for the Zerode gearbox for a while now. Unfortunately it doesn’t make economic sense for Shimano to tool up and make a shifter for the DH market!

After dissecting a bunch of shifters I have found a way to modify a SRAM X9 shifter to run the Alfine. The new shifter is a lot more compact so easier to find that sweet spot on the bars, tougher and 50 grams lighter than the stock unit.

The shifting action is very light and you can grab multiple gears with each shift so it takes a little time to adapt when coming from the Alfine shifter… But I think it’s a nice option. Get in touch if you need one for your Zerode….

NZ$105 for the shifter, cable, cable stop, seal kit, all set and ready to install.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Installed the 23T cog on my Zerode. I took the spring off and cycled it through the travel. I didn't lengthen the chain and it looks about perfect. At full bottom, the chain still had enough length on the tensioner. The gearing seems about perfect for riding up a gravel road to get to the trails.

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Not everyone lives next to a resort or has shuttlable trails.
that's why yahweh created all-mountain bikes.

that said, the rohloff on the lahar has xc-worthy wall climbing low end range (not that it compels me to ride up hills on the beast); if a trailbike zerode emerges, i'd love to see it built around a rohloff. wrapped in carbon, of course.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
that's why yahweh created all-mountain bikes.

that said, the rohloff on the lahar has xc-worthy wall climbing low end range (not that it compels me to ride up hills on the beast); if a trailbike zerode emerges, i'd love to see it built around a rohloff. wrapped in carbon, of course.
Thats why I have a 33 lb Intense SS.

Some trails we shuttle have very short climbs (10min) for super long DH (45min). It's worth it to take the DH bike.