Quantcast

The Zerode thread

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Originally Posted by toodles
Ditched the gearbox and they're running a mech with an idler.

they keep the gearbox on the 2013 frame?
Yes the gearbox was just an added benefit for running a high pivot and was used in place of the idler that Canfield bikes use. The frame was designed around the suspension system not the gearbox itself according to Rob.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
I want a little lower gearing too. I wanna be able to ride the Zerode up gravel roads when I have to.

So 23T rear works, but you have to add a link?

Any pics? What chain ring are you running on the rear? Pics to see the tension?

I've got a ton of new stock carbon and plastic shock covers if anyone wants one.
Hey Kntr, I just got it all set up with the 23T. Stock chain length is 94 links (47 outer), with a 21T, so the 48 links reported by NSM made sense. However, it didn't work for me. 48 outer links was WAY too long. The tensioner was totally touching the rear cog and there was still a ton of slack. Switched to 47 outer links and it worked perfectly. Even removed the shock coil and compressed it all the way to check, and it still had some range left in the tensioner.

So that's what I'm running now. 23 tooth cog with a 47 outer link chain.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hey Kntr, I just got it all set up with the 23T. Stock chain length is 94 links (47 outer), with a 21T, so the 48 links reported by NSM made sense. However, it didn't work for me. 48 outer links was WAY too long. The tensioner was totally touching the rear cog and there was still a ton of slack. Switched to 47 outer links and it worked perfectly. Even removed the shock coil and compressed it all the way to check, and it still had some range left in the tensioner.

Was that just at static? Sorry, I may have counted poorly, it was in the back of my car. It is close, but only at static. No doubt if I count again it's only 47, sorry if my laziness(counting once)wasted your time.

and now they go back to a mech kasette and idler no more gearbox?
They will always have a gearbox.

Doggy

Chimp
Jun 14, 2008
Sooo, the 3rd size will be a sensible large size then? Some of us are taller then a hobbit and I would love to give one a go.
Following Danny at Whis is not the smartest of ideas, he goes fast and stuff. There was a kiwi dude on a black zerode there as well that was having a bit of fun leaving the gearbox out to see the weight difference and handling difference

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana

Where did you get a 23t? Did it lower the gearing enough to ride up gravel roads? Pic?

What size and year Zerode?

Last edited:

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Where did you get a 23t? Did it lower the gearing enough to ride up gravel roads? Pic?

What size and year Zerode?
The cog I made myself. Fun project. Figured out the tooth and spline profiles and modelled it in solidworks. Cut it on a waterjet. The spline area is triple-thick so it won't dig into the splines. The three layers are aligned with pins and then brazed with silver solder. I chamfered the teeth, sandblasted it, and then black powder-coat. Took maybe 5 hours total.

Used it today on Cypress. Gearing seems perfect now. Didn't really do any climbing, but the few pedally sections seemed better.

Pic attached.

The Zerode is from the original white batch (2011?), and it's a M/L.

Attachments

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Here's a link to the one I used. I drilled a ton of speed holes in it as it was over built. Very nice though, and choice of colours. Not too heavy standard(un drilled), but ten minutes with a drill Knocks a load more weight out. And they have a decent wide footing on freehub, wide enough not to bight into ally freehubs.
PRO_SSCog.png Not my actual 23toother, but looks the same.
http://rennendesigngroup.com/sscog.html
Puts you in the more efficient gears for DH use. 23tooth is max though, don't go over this.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
35t what? Chain ring?
Different length stays, output sprocket size, tensioner type and location. 24t fouls on tensioner, 25 might work due to chain length, but can't see why you'd want it.
Yes he emailed me and said 35 tooth rear cog that he had made for his AM carbon Prototype Zerode. Ill see if I can get a pic and more info.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Most probably, this question has already been asked, but... have Zerode thought about using Alfine Di2 on a bike? That would, at least, solved the problem of the shifter.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Tooth size might just depend on where the tensioner ends up due to the chain links dictating the length of the chain. A half link chain might work with 24tooth.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Most probably, this question has already been asked, but... have Zerode thought about using Alfine Di2 on a bike? That would, at least, solved the problem of the shifter.
We are trying to see if they will fit here in the US. The wire routing for the Di2 version looks bigger than the cable variety so Rob is not sure it will clear the frame.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
I would love to see Di2 on a Zerode as it opens up all sorts of shifting options. The stock Alfine Di2 shifter looks pretty good, but there are also other custom options such as a single button for each thumb.

I also like the fact that it would provide a gear indicator.

Unfortunately, I doubt the electronic "cassette joint" / servo motor will retrofit easily. More likely with some heavy Dremel-tool modifications to the inside of the frame for clearance.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

There is Douglas's Zerode he won. I had a local shop install the fork. They left way to much steer tube. I need to cut er down at work tomorrow. Then she should be ready. I weighed it at same shop pretty sure the scale was off he TARED it but I don't think it is 38LBS. Will see tomorrow it is pretty sick. The ADD Lite Pro wheels with STANS worked very well.