Quantcast

The Zerode thread

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Just rode our demo MD G2 I am 6' 1" it worked fine. I could ride it as my primary bike I think had stem set to 50mm BTW....

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
my 2014 Zerode G2

Looks sick. How are you liking the fork? May sell my 40 Float and get an Avalanche carted Boxxer of some variety. Just got my bike back need to build it up today.
i ride the BOS once.. but very impressive "its Magic what she can"!!

yes boxxer with avy sounds good, but i think when RS bring here nEW Boxxer with the charger damper,

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/RockShox-Pike-2014-ridden.html

this fork will blow all out of wather!!!!

Last edited:

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Upgrading from G1 to G2. Any thoughts on the DHX vs CCDB shocks? I've had Fox rear shocks on my last three DH bikes, and they have been absolutely set and forget. Not a single issue ever. Quiet and reliable.
I'm also not likely to tweak my shock settings frequently.

What are your thoughts? Anyone try both or have a strong opinion one way or the other?
Price is the same either way.
i'm almost ready to flip a coin.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Upgrading from G1 to G2. Any thoughts on the DHX vs CCDB shocks? I've had Fox rear shocks on my last three DH bikes, and they have been absolutely set and forget. Not a single issue ever. Quiet and reliable.
I'm also not likely to tweak my shock settings frequently.

What are your thoughts? Anyone try both or have a strong opinion one way or the other?
Price is the same either way.
i'm almost ready to flip a coin.
Fox suits the G2s leverage curve a touch better. But if you like to fiddle, go the DB.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Okay, thanks guys, going with the Fox.

Now how about spring weight? I was on a 450 on the G1, but weigh 212 lbs. Likely underspung, but felt fine.
Thinking of going with a 500 now that the travel is reduced.
The size charts say I should be on a 550 at least.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I am 210 and run a 550 on it.....

At 30% sag and pedal bob will basically stop so thats the sag number you wanna try and get to.

Last edited:

schwinnstr8

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
East Los
Has anyone went from a G1 to a G2? What are the main differences?
For me here are the differences I found:
-First thing was the longer top tube (I'm 6'1" with long arms and the G1 M/L felt a bit tight) The G2 large is perfect!
-Shorter travel/shock- feels more lively and responsive.
-Head angle-G1 was fine but with the slight change of G2 it's confidence inspiring with the steeper gnar.
-Although it's only 300 grams...there is a weight savings.
I made the change and don't regret it one bit!
Let me know if I can answer any other questions.:thumb:

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
From a blog post on ZerodeUSA:

"
1) The geometry has had an overhaul for the G2. 3 sizes, shorter head tubes, longer top tubes and slacker head angles mean a race ready chassis for all body shapes and sizes.

2) With lessons learned from the G1 we have shaved over 300grams off the frame. Some of this is unsprung weight in the chainstay, axle and rocker further improving the Zerode suspension performance.

3) The down tube yolk has been redesigned to increase the ground clearance by 20mm, increase chain ring clearance for a better primary chain line and incorporates a sturdy shock guard mount so your shock and frame are protected from stray rocks.

4) Each Zerode will come with 2 shifters. The standard Alfine unit and a modified SRAM unit. You choose which one you feel most at home with.

5) A new rectangular down tube is stiffer, lighter and stronger than the old round tube.

6) The chainstay has been redesigned to increase tyre, crank and chain tensioner clearance.

7) Reduced travel from 9.25” to 8.3”. With less unsprung weight and an efficient axle path we felt a little less travel would give a more lively feel, reduce weight and make a great pedalling chassis even better without sacrificing it’s superb bump eating ability.

8) New colours….The G2 is Bead blasted and anodised in Black or Charcoal with four decal options. Custom Anodising is available."

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I know the differences by numbers. Thanks. How much different does it ride? Is it worth the upgrade. My G1 is for sale so I can get a G2 but I gotta justify the money

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I know the differences by numbers. Thanks. How much different does it ride? Is it worth the upgrade. My G1 is for sale so I can get a G2 but I gotta justify the money
G2 more poppy, more playful.G1 more plow, slightly more forgiving but G2 is still more forgiving than most other bikes. G1 would suit some riders more. G1 is still a rad bike.
I've owned a couple of both. They all had different shocks though, and that'd make as much difference. I'm lightweight so the weight savings was good.
I'd not bother unless racing or wanting to spend the coin on a fresh frame. Or if you're more into stylin(jump parks etc) than DH gnar..
If you have an early painted G1, then the weight savings would attract most to upgrading.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
G2 more poppy, more playful.G1 more plow, slightly more forgiving but G2 is still more forgiving than most other bikes. G1 would suit some riders more. G1 is still a rad bike.
I've owned a couple of both. They all had different shocks though, and that'd make as much difference. I'm lightweight so the weight savings was good.
I'd not bother unless racing or wanting to spend the coin on a fresh frame. Or if you're more into stylin(jump parks etc) than DH gnar..
If you have an early painted G1, then the weight savings would attract most to upgrading.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I absolutely love my G1 and I like to plow.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Anybody thinking about a G2 there is an awesome deal that Zerodeusa is doing. Buy a frame and get a choice of fork for $3250.......

DVO, Dorado Pro of Fox 40 Float