Quantcast

The little Transition that could...

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I got a chance to check get a hold of a Transition BottleRocket and all you can say is wow. Anyone else got an opinion on it? I couldn't really find much that I would change at all. It's a really fun bike that loves to fly and rails quite nicely.

Did a writeup on it if anyone wants to see the rest of my thoughts on it and more pics/spec's etc.

Click here to see

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am not tooting my own horn here and i dont really race, but i wouldnt buy any other bike right now for my riding style...Click my sig for a shot of my build. They are seriously incredible little bikes, Cant wait to get a totem/some x.0/King hubs and a ti spring for next season, then i will truely have a dream bike...w00t.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Totem's are nice. I have one of the coil ones testing out and its really smooth and nice but I think i'd rather have the 07 66 SL ATA.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
great write up. the only point i disagree with is "Transition’s bikes size slightly large." this is not the case with the bottlerocket. in my conversations with Kevin & Kyle deciding on a frame size, they told me they were trying to get people on smaller frames with the sizing chart. at 6'1", the large felt a bit big to me at first (that size is intended for 6'2" and taller). however, i tried my buds medium and it was too small. i tweaked my bar angle and moved my saddle forward and the bike feels just right.

i love mine. now, if i could just get the bur out of my seat tube so my post won't suffer any more damage.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Have you ridden one? How does it compare to your giant? I haven't gotten a chance to check one of those out.
He weighs a lot more tham me so, I really don't know how plush it is. I do like the GEO on it and know this would make a great Free Ride Trail bike. If you don't have a hook up on one yet call Santiago at www.atlanticbikes.com and let him know Dave and Cecil from SC sent you.

Cecil

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i love mine. now, if i could just get the bur out of my seat tube so my post won't suffer any more damage.
DUDE mine to i destroyed my thompson, like i can honestly not even look at it right now it's so mangled and i pedal my bike alot, i run my seatpost extended alot of the time...:rant:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
:greedy: How is the Bottlerocket for riding long distance trails and climbing?
It is actually pretty damn good, i rode mine on a bunch of xc rides this summer with some pretty fast guys...Hung pretty good. I just swapped my 2.3 minion for a larson and cranked the propedal down on the dhx and i was ready to go...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
DUDE mine to i destroyed my thompson, like i can honestly not even look at it right now it's so mangled and i pedal my bike alot, i run my seatpost extended alot of the time...:rant:
damn, i am starting to hear that almost everybody is having this problem. there is yours, mine, my weekly ride buddy, a local shop guy... the list goes on. WTF? i have sent emails to transition about it. they are aware of the problem happening with others as well. i thought my case was isolated at first, so i didn't want to say too much about it. i'm now starting to wonder about this.

as for the bike on long trail rides - if you are gonna do it, get a dhx 5.0 and turn on the propedal. the bike pedals well. i got the large for the cockpit size and the seat tube length. 40lbs is a bit heavy for a pedal bike, but it can be done. i am only running an 11-28 cogset and i can get up most of my regular riding hills.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
great write up. the only point i disagree with is "Transition’s bikes size slightly large." this is not the case with the bottlerocket. in my conversations with Kevin & Kyle deciding on a frame size, they told me they were trying to get people on smaller frames with the sizing chart. at 6'1", the large felt a bit big to me at first (that size is intended for 6'2" and taller). however, i tried my buds medium and it was too small. i tweaked my bar angle and moved my saddle forward and the bike feels just right.

I think the wording on that is kind of off, i'll update it. I tend to like my bikes somewhat on the smaller side, helps to flick them around easier. Maybe try filing that burr down? My guess is its the result of the front derailleur cable stop?

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Count me in for a scratched post as well. My black Azonic has a ton of nice silver scratches from raising/lowering the post. Oh well..

Also my tt looks like it is 10 years old already. My knee pads I guess are causing the paint to wear away. No other signs of paint wear other than the sides of the tt. Weird... Anyone else have this?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Count me in for a scratched post as well. My black Azonic has a ton of nice silver scratches from raising/lowering the post. Oh well..

Also my tt looks like it is 10 years old already. My knee pads I guess are causing the paint to wear away. No other signs of paint wear other than the sides of the tt. Weird... Anyone else have this?
I am experiencing the same thing with my top tube from about 6 days worth of armor rub at the end of the season, i might get some frame tape from go ride for next season...

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Good bike, great review. The format and depth of information are what every bike review should strive for. Nice work, and "Sick Lines" is now in my bookmarks.

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
I put 2 vertical lines and a squiggly near the top of my thomson....just trying to get the frame in the stand to press in the headset adaptors!

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Hard to believe this bike could live up to all the e-hype it got. But it does.

Super fun to ride. DH, stunt, trails, jumps... all solid & predictable on the BR.

On the color paint thing, I would say Raw has not disappointed. My frame looks broken in, not worn out (read->practicle). I'm going to add some custom painted on graphics if I ever stop riding it long enough. Bottom line: owns & I can't wait to get on it tonight.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I'd love to see some graphics like IH is doing now ont eh 7Point. Or even some engraved type fanciness on the CNC parts. That would be about all I'd change.
I'd love to get on some revolution wheels. I just can't figure out if the rear QR can be made bolt on. Those are sickness.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The rear revolution hub uses a solid qr. You shouldn't have any problem running a solid axle (The transition one is a solid axle pretty much)

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
i think for 07 the revolutions come with a 10mm bolt on as seen in their hub pictures.

one quick call to cam would give you a definate answer

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Must be a change for the 07 goods. I would have bought them w/ my frame if I knew. Those are supposed to hold up really well. Rim option was a good call too. Alex rims are they ?