Quantcast

the gearbox thread

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sorry bad habbit. I tend to form them with some words in any language. Thanks for pointing it out. Will look for them.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
NSM, as for the carbon frames lasting, they should last forever really.
Remember they can be repaired too. The scary thing is if this weight weenie thing continues and manufacturers start pushing the limits of composites it won't fatigue like Ally, simply catastrophic failure :) More litigation. This is where road is going, and IMO certain manufacturers of carbon road bikes have exceeded this limit and are placing riders at risk, disregarding injuries and death. Anyway. off topic. I will put some pics up on FB of the mule soon. Looking uglier than ever though been changed a fair bit :)
Yeah damn the weight weenie phenomenon, DH bikes are way light enough IMO, give us higher survival rates instead please.

What are you tweaking on your Zerode? Mine has been in the stand less than any bike I've ever owned. Well, except for grinding the non-drive crank arm down, so it doesn't hit the frame.
I have an Avalanche, Double barrel, and RC4, and poor diagnosis, also 40s, and Avvy 888s.

Though I think that look kinda grows on you.
What do looks really mater, as long as it's functional. Never picked up a girl from what my bike looks like. Don't care what other dudes think. Having said that, I'm on one of the sickest looking bikes ever, the Zerode. But was happy with my Lahar that half the crowd picked on like the ugly duckling/swan it looked like.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What do looks really mater, as long as it's functional. Never picked up a girl from what my bike looks like. Don't care what other dudes think. Having said that, I'm on one of the sickest looking bikes ever, the Zerode. But was happy with my Lahar that half the crowd picked on like the ugly duckling/swan it looked like.
Yeah but on the other hand if you pay a ton of money expecting your bike to also look good isnt crazy ;) Also my bike worked it magic once but I think any bike would do the job. You also need to visit any fmba event and check out the groupies. Never believed it but they are real.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
wow, 8 years later (since the beginning of this thread), and only one production gearbox bike on the market so far (zerode). i thought we'd be so much further by now. interesting.
I went into this tread looking for a huge list of bikes I didn't know existed only to find a whole lot of jibber jabber.

I like the Tollwut with a different fork.

And Marshal beat the sh!t out of his speedhub without issue and that dude is hard on bikes (Owns Endless).

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I went into this tread looking for a huge list of bikes I didn't know existed only to find a whole lot of jibber jabber.

I like the Tollwut with a different fork.

And Marshal beat the sh!t out of his speedhub without issue and that dude is hard on bikes (Owns Endless).
Ironic.
Nobody is saying the Speedhub is a lesser hub, it's better, just saying for the price, you could buy 3 Alfines with trigger shifters(as I said, I dig the Rohloff grip shifter).

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Moar info? I really like it. Maybe a different rear triangle but it is still a very cool bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Very very cool bike
that's awesome! Very brooklyn-esque with *finally* a gearbox in the driveshaft. My two questions: can it actually be pedaled? The pivot looks huge and the axle has a huge q-factor. I imagine it's right in your knee-sack. Two, is it just me, or is the diamondback van really really obvious in the second photo?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey-zeus i want this. take my money now! it's my fantasy superco / lahar love child. damn.
Its from Mt. Hood in Oregon and it belongs to some guy named phil. that is all the info i can find on it sadly
hey remember that time we complained that there were no more luxury/bespoke/custom DH builders, and then the next week there were three? WTF

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
^^^^ Nice work!

Mr Plow. do you have any more pics up on facebook? The finish looks alot better this time round.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Thanks Fellas.
I feel like I am stuck on repeat, But even I dont rate my test mule aesthetically :) It is boxy to save me $$$ moulds and allow room for all the crazy gearbox ideas I had in my head. I have sorted the box now, and the drive side swingarm for instance is 100mm deep on the mule, it will be 50mm on the Mk3 production proto. Also the frame will be a LOT sleeker. I have changed a heap of stuff out now.It will look better than the render :)

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
we must have sparked their interest :thumb:

It is somewhat interesting that within a week of that conversation i've seen 4 or 5 of them pop up ha
Yep, its interesting that a bunch of new frame builders came about recently. However, I can't speak for the others, but at Guerrilla Gravity, we started working on the GG/DH a year and a half ago. We just didn't post anything on here until after we had two prototypes with some ride testing.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Yep, its interesting that a bunch of new frame builders came about recently. However, I can't speak for the others, but at Guerrilla Gravity, we started working on the GG/DH a year and a half ago. We just didn't post anything on here until after we had two prototypes with some ride testing.
Same here. Started designing 2005. Started building first Proto in 2008. Second proto ( this one) in 2010. And limited production run of 5 this year. 3 have homes. 2 more to sell. Then onto production and sorting the trail bike that lives in my head :)

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Moar info? I really like it. Maybe a different rear triangle but it is still a very cool bike.
Phil Weiring and Brad Watt from Portland made the bike last winter. It's an Alfine hub for the gearbox and it works really well. It's wide at the gearbox, but you get used to it after a few minutes. The thing is silent and brakes/pedals very well. It's named the Earth Raper and it's a one off with no intention of producing them. Phil just wanted something different to ride than anything that was availible. The whole thing built up is 43lbs I believe.

The photos were from the last round of the NW cup at Mt Hood (hence the DB van in the background)

-KT

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I love it. I wish the pivot were higher for better pedaling and bump absorption, but that bike is super clean and has so much potential. Plus, 39lbs is competitive for a gearbox bike.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
yup

im liking this new thing too.

id like to see a cross between that and the zerode tbh ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I love it. I wish the pivot were higher for better pedaling and bump absorption, but that bike is super clean and has so much potential. Plus, 39lbs is competitive for a gearbox bike.
Complete bike weights are meaningless. 8kg nicolai frames were built up to 38lbs. The similar weight to saint drivetrain is what grabbed me.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You can build a Zerode under 40 lbs with an air shock too. The Zerode blows that thing away. :)
Its a nice bike for sure, but the low single pivot...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
One thing that worries me is the belt drive. It's nice and progressive but snap it and you are screwed

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Complete bike weights are meaningless. 8kg nicolai frames were built up to 38lbs. The similar weight to saint drivetrain is what grabbed me.
You can build a Zerode under 40 lbs with an air shock too. The Zerode blows that thing away. :)
Its a nice bike for sure, but the low single pivot...
Yes, but few things on that bike are "28lb session" light. The fork is a little heavier than a boxxer WC, the tires appear to be downhill bead, pedals are normal, rims are normal, grips are lock ons, stem, saddle, post are normal. There are no "internet approved" parts on that bike, I would argue, besides the air shock, and some air shocks, like the CCDBA, aren't all that light.

One thing that worries me is the belt drive. It's nice and progressive but snap it and you are screwed
woody's been on his belt for a few years now, including one in whistler. No snaps. Pretty hard to snap a gates belt. He had some issues with walking, but those are largely resolved by gates' tooth system. I'd say you have a significantly higher possibility of snapping or critically damaging a chain that you do a belt, at least right now.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
pb quote:" one of the big advantages of the belt drive is that, unlike a chain, it doesn't stretch so all the power is transferred to the rear wheel".

who else here laments stretchy chains sapping your power?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
pb quote:" one of the big advantages of the belt drive is that, unlike a chain, it doesn't stretch so all the power is transferred to the rear wheel".

who else here laments stretchy chains sapping your power?
that quote is pretty priceless. Lack of squeekies, silence, light weight...those are all good reasons. A chain stretches at a rate of IDGAF/whenever I adjust the tensioner.

TrueScotsman

Monkey
Mar 20, 2002
Scotland
Apologies if this has been posted already- I've been away from RM for a few months, but how's this for interesting?-
The first (?) Pinion geared DH bike?

(At least I think it is!)

From the guys that brought you this;

Comes a new 4th gen DH gearbox bike;

Whilst this image doesn't show much, a CAD screen shot from their website clearly shows a Pinion gearbox;

I can't wait to hear more info!