Quantcast

the gearbox thread

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
It may not be perfect but it's damn close!
I own a Zerode. You can go see it in the super clean gearbox thread.
The chain growth isn't an issue. In the real world how the bike reacts under braking works very well and it doesn't stiffen.
The rear end is extremely stiff!

They ride great.
It is a little short however it is manageable and after a while not noticed. I'm 5 11"
It eats any rough stuff and can be pedaled . Hell iv climbed this bike to trails. The alfine shifter does its job and even tho I liken the shifter feel to pushing a button rather than a clicking switch its a fast shift.
so you guys can dump on the bike but Zerode has deliverd and will continue to improve and listen to the people who have bought a bike and ride. But will not listen to fake world tests and opinions.

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
I really like low center of gravities and for example a pinion style gearbox is much better that way.
You're right about the pedal feedback, it is fairly minimal, but for people who ride with flats and are pedaling through rough stuff the feedback will definitely be felt.
If only Pinion would release the box for other companies to use, I sure hope they do in the future. Zerode have no choice but to use a hub like they do unless they make their own gearbox and no matter how they implement the Alfine it will raise the CoG.

I use my Zerode for XC with a 26 front ring. Pedalling is not an issue.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hmmm, I had to go look that up. That is really weird. You are right. A small demo has a reach of 410mm, and the large zerode is 396mm. How is that possible? Their theoretical horizontal top-tube lengths are almost the same, but of course that is very dependent on effective seat tube angle.

I had a chance to try a m/l zerode in Morzine last summer for three runs. I ride a large demo, and it felt instantly comfortable, and not too short. It must somehow force you to ride more rearward, with the seat position.

Very strange.
Specialized frames are very long, my medium pitch is very long. From bottom headset to BB is where you should measure, top tube measurements for Mountain Bikes are trivial at best, and for DH bikes, virtually useless. Or that other funky measurement straight up from the BB and across to middle of steerer is ideal.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
that was hateful
anyways, i haven't riddent the zerode but I'm just saying that it is not a perfect design. Brake squat is a good thing, you're right, but from what I know, the amount of brake squat that the zerode has would not improve the ride. The center of gravity is well placed in the longitude of the bike but I'm talking verticaly if you know what I mean... I really like low center of gravities and for example a pinion style gearbox is much better that way.
You're right about the pedal feedback, it is fairly minimal, but for people who ride with flats and are pedaling through rough stuff the feedback will definitely be felt.
The bb isn't very high for a bike with 9 inches of travel but, IN MY OPINION, all the stuff sticking out under the bb, (including the expensive shock :P) is fairly vulnerable to being trashed..
No I do not like the G-boxx design.
Lets not forget that I like the Zerode, it's just not a perfect design
Your post was hateful, with no merit. For a first post, you sure came out guns blazing.
From what you know. and what do you know? What single pivot bikes without floaters have you ridden?
Zerode feels great with it's small amount of brake squat. If I had the choice, I'd not run a floater on it.
A Pinion gearbox would be great if it is great, but will only sit a few inches lower, yes it'd make a difference, but I sure as helll can't notice the "high weight" in the Zerode on direction changes. The weight is still pretty low, and you couldn't have the shock as low with a Pinion so the difference becomes even smaller, then you'd need an idler with the Pinion also if you were to have a high pivot(what I and I guess Zerode prefer).
and NO, the feedback will definitely not be felt. I ride rough tracks with flats, and my feet move way more on other bikes like the Kona Operator, GT Furies, Mongoose etc I get to ride. The Operators alright,GT n Goose are loose.
I've been on the Zerode for a year now, so have a couple of mates, none have smashed shocks. I have scratched the carbon guard, but it sticks out more, and is replaceable. I have scratched the frame down there but big deal.

just by curiosity, since you guys have ridden the bike, have you had any problems with the stuff sticking out under the bb?
I've beaten my carbon guard into some rocks, it takes a beating, and is replaceable. I've not run a carbon guard for weeks now as I'm running an air shock and want more air flow to it, and want easy access to it's adjusters, it has no marks on it at all. Smashing the shock into stuff doesn't worry me(although possible, and you keep it in mind), dust and sand etc from the front tyre are more of a reason to wear the carbon guard IMO, to keep shock shaft cleaner.
You could always get a shock with a remote reservoir if you were that worried.

cedrico

Chimp
Jan 15, 2012
A Pinion gearbox would be great if it is great, but will only sit a few inches lower, yes it'd make a difference, but I sure as helll can't notice the "high weight" in the Zerode on direction changes. The weight is still pretty low, and you couldn't have the shock as low with a Pinion so the difference becomes even smaller, then you'd need an idler with the Pinion also if you were to have a high pivot(what I and I guess Zerode prefer).
You'd be surprised at how low you can get a shock with a pinion gearbox. (I'd show you my design but I can't cuz i dont want it to get jacked :P)
also, a shock with a ti spring weighs about 1.5 pounds. a gearbox (pinion/alfine) will weigh 4-5 pounds. I'm sure the zerode rides great the way it is, I'm just mentioning that it could be better

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
that was hateful
anyways, i haven't riddent the zerode but I'm just saying that it is not a perfect design. Brake squat is a good thing, you're right, but from what I know, the amount of brake squat that the zerode has would not improve the ride. The center of gravity is well placed in the longitude of the bike but I'm talking verticaly if you know what I mean... I really like low center of gravities and for example a pinion style gearbox is much better that way.
The bb isn't very high for a bike with 9 inches of travel but, IN MY OPINION, all the stuff sticking out under the bb, (including the expensive shock :P) is fairly vulnerable to being trashed..
No I do not like the G-boxx design.
Lets not forget that I like the Zerode, it's just not a perfect design
You'd be surprised at how low you can get a shock with a pinion gearbox. (I'd show you my design but I can't cuz i dont want it to get jacked :P)
also, a shock with a ti spring weighs about 1.5 pounds. a gearbox (pinion/alfine) will weigh 4-5 pounds. I'm sure the zerode rides great the way it is, I'm just mentioning that it could be better
Everything could be better, the Zerode is excellently executed in design IMO, and I'd not change much at all. Best compromise IMO. Pinion would still need an idler, to have high pivot, this will add high weight(tiny amount), and drag, if you're doing a high pivot(best design IMO), so even it will be a compromise to some degree.
Pinion is still unproven, and the DH version isn't out yet. Posting your design might be beneficial for you, as another company might release your design by coincidence and patent it, by showing yours now you'd get prior knowledge I think, especially if you state you'll be selling it. I might be wrong here, but I'd look into it anyway. maybe just PM it to someone might count as prior acknowledgement, I don't know.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan

Don't worry, I doubt anyone would want to steal any of your ideas...

p4pb7451387.jpg

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
It's been mentioned on RideMonkey. DW now has the patent. Should have read the disclaimer on sign up

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It's been mentioned on RideMonkey. DW now has the patent. Should have read the disclaimer on sign up
Is this a joke? Sorry I'm dud at picking up on jokes, ironically I hate obvious jokes though. Leaes me somewhat humorless. :(
Or has DW done a Honda and patented another gearbox out of existence?
Or is DW planning something grand with the Pinion.
Hoping for the later.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Is this a joke? Sorry I'm dud at picking up on jokes, ironically I hate obvious jokes though. Leaes me somewhat humorless. :(
Or has DW done a Honda and patented another gearbox out of existence?
Or is DW planning something grand with the Pinion.
Hoping for the later.
He is kidding, referring to DW's numerous MTB patents over the last 10 years..... I think.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Actually, he is not. DW is collaborating with a soon-to-be-announced frame manufacturer to produce a DW-Boxx equipped bike for 2013. Keep your eyes peeled.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Actually, he is not. DW is collaborating with a soon-to-be-announced frame manufacturer to produce a DW-Boxx equipped bike for 2013. Keep your eyes peeled.
If that really is true then I'm very curious about his explanations of this move to gearbox because of his past comments about gearbox drivetrains.

cedrico

Chimp
Jan 15, 2012
Don't worry, I doubt anyone would want to steal any of your ideas...

View attachment 109648
hahahaha you nailed me hard there
that was a while ago and that idea was really abstract
back then I had 1% of the knowledge I have now lol
I use linkage and a bit of solidworks now, designing is super interesting tho

Last edited:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Woah, woah woah,

Linkage AND soildworks????????? Dang dude, thats some serious stuff. Are you sure you can handle that? I know most people design with ms paint.

hahahaha you nailed me hard there
that was a while ago and that idea was really abstract
back then I had 1% of the knowledge I have now lol
I use linkage and a bit of solidworks now, designing is super interesting tho

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
yep. dw & evil reuniting. in the spirit of the 2013i, only this time will be a gear boxed carbon dh chassis (and maybe an all mountain rig in conjunction). the guts may possibly be pinion, though rumors of involvement of one of the big two component manufacturers in developing a dedicated gearbox core has also been circulating amongst industry illuminati. the development of this has sucked up production resources of the undead and other evil bikes in development - thus the huge delay & intel lock down there. frustrated in seeing his old brand floundering, dw has dumped a whack of time & personal finances into the new project, which is expected to be paradigm shifting next level sh1t.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
yep. dw & evil reuniting. in the spirit of the 2013i, only this time will be a gear boxed carbon dh chassis (and maybe an all mountain rig in conjunction). the guts may possibly be pinion, though rumors of involvement of one of the big two component manufacturers in developing a dedicated gearbox core has also been circulating amongst industry illuminati. the development of this has sucked up production resources of the undead and other evil bikes in development - thus the huge delay & intel lock down there. frustrated in seeing his old brand floundering, dw has dumped a whack of time & personal finances into the new project, which is expected to be paradigm shifting next level sh1t.
redemption ain't cheap.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Umm, my sarcasm detectors are malfunctioning. Is this all made up to be funny, or is there some basis to this?

cedrico

Chimp
Jan 15, 2012
Just because I said your favorite bike isn't perfect doesn't mean you guys have to repetitively trash me..

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan

Actually, I heard that it was going to be a CVT of some sort! And it's going to be magnetically actuated! ZOMG!!! THE FUTURE IS HERE!!!

How do you titillate a female ocelot?

You oscillate the tits a lot.
At what frequency?

Last edited:

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Just because I said your favorite bike isn't perfect doesn't mean you guys have to repetitively trash me..
If you were able to provide proper arguments with your critique, you wouldn't be getting all this sh-t.
Anybody can talk sh-t about something, but they don't necessarily know what they're talking about.

cedrico

Chimp
Jan 15, 2012
If you were able to provide proper arguments with your critique, you wouldn't be getting all this sh-t.
Anybody can talk sh-t about something, but they don't necessarily know what they're talking about.
I didn't talk ****, I criticized. And I explained what I said after.
man this suks way to much negative vibes

ralf007

Chimp
Oct 30, 2007
new zealand
Only real let down for me is the size, the large has a shorter reach than a s demo 8. If it was size properly i'd be all over one.
The sizes will be S/M/L sometime in the very near future. So 3 sizes will be available.
the reason behind the smaller large size is because of the hydro formed top tube, there was not a machine big enough that they use. they had to make mod's to the design and extend the current machines beds to just make the current frames.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How come nobody has done a pair of linked trigger shifters? Certainly there must be enough engineers to design something that has a "reverse" mechanism so when you pull with one, the other releases...right? Then you'd have up on one side, and down on the other...IMO that would be the perfect setup, instead of up and down on one side.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How come nobody has done a pair of linked trigger shifters? Certainly there must be enough engineers to design something that has a "reverse" mechanism so when you pull with one, the other releases...right? Then you'd have up on one side, and down on the other...IMO that would be the perfect setup, instead of up and down on one side.
too complicated, too heavy, too stupid of an idea.

bikemonkey

Chimp
Feb 1, 2008
Santiago, Chile
too complicated, too heavy, too stupid of an idea.
it is not that stupid. It is actually pretty sweet, you downshift with the left thumb and up shift with the right. and as I use it with a geared hub, I can shift while breaking, coasting or when standing still. and the extra weight is minimal, not to say unnoticeable.