Quantcast

The Dream Thread

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Man my dream last night did me dirty. Still reeling from it.

I had one of those dreams where you are nekkid in a crowd. Some chick was like, "Is that really how small they are?" I rifled off excuses with the best of em, "It's the angle!", "I'm a grow-er, not a show-er!", "It's average!" Not sure I convinced anyone in dream land.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I attribute mine to PTSD

Screams of pain, the sounds of steel crunching, flames, swarms of flys, cockroaches, maggots, rotting flesh. Makes for some really dark places that you don't want to visit.
Makes sense. I seem to recall reading an article in Outside magazine 5 or so years ago about the number of first responders who suffered silently with PTSD, and how it doesnt get the attention it deserves because PTSD is typically associated with combat veterans. Lots of suicide and depression as a result, but there's little established support network.

Props to you and your kind. Not sure I have the stomach or mental fortitude for such things, but I'm glad there are people who do.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Mine recently was rattle snakes. I had my bike and every time I stepped away from one another was right there. Shoulda got on the bike.

My daughter was having nightmares so I told her to check her belt in her dream and there should be a knife on it. Use the knife or know your in a dream. Now she’s tells us some dream about spiders and how she pulls her knife and hacks them up or stabs a witch. I’m not sure if I gave her a gift or am fucking her up. In any case I put a knife on her belt in her dreams.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Keep having reoccurring dreams that I’m out in public surrounded by people who won’t wear masks during a pandemic. Then I have to get up and eventually realize the goddamn dream. Fuck !

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Best insomnia induced nightmare happens when I’ve been laying in bed for several hours unable to sleep. Then when I finally do fall asleep I start dreaming that I am awake and trying to go to sleep. So when I wake up I’m not really sure that I actually slept.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Best insomnia induced nightmare happens when I’ve been laying in bed for several hours unable to sleep. Then when I finally do fall asleep I start dreaming that I am awake and trying to go to sleep. So when I wake up I’m not really sure that I actually slept.
its not just me then. Good to know.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In grad school I would dream in MATLAB code . I would wake up in the morning having figured out a bunch of stuff in my sleep and would furiously work on my computer when I first woke up before I forgot it all.

I have been procrastinating on a work assignment all week. Woke up at 4:00 dreaming about it this morning, went straight to my computer and did what was about a weeks worth of work in a few hours.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
In grad school I would dream in MATLAB code . I would wake up in the morning having figured out a bunch of stuff in my sleep and would furiously work on my computer when I first woke up before I forgot it all.

I have been procrastinating on a work assignment all week. Woke up at 4:00 dreaming about it this morning, went straight to my computer and did what was about a weeks worth of work in a few hours.
Are you sure you aren't dreaming right now?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That's how I deal with hard problems. Daydreaming, building up hidden associations for a couple of days, then when I am ready, a braindump of an elegant solution in a few hours.
Too bad some bosses just don't understand how this works and demand frequent updates "on my thinking". Fuck them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's how I deal with hard problems. Daydreaming, building up hidden associations for a couple of days, then when I am ready, a braindump of an elegant solution in a few hours.
Too bad some bosses just don't understand how this works and demand frequent updates "on my thinking". Fuck them.
Nice. My time at work is largely just documenting mental models I make when doing everything outside of work. That is one of the reasons why I enjoy riding, those and most other thought patterns just go away. No thinking, just doing. Also why I prefer to ride alone or with someone who I can just chase. I hate it when people try to get chatty.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'm partial to Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra. I attribute my most wild dreams to that stuff.
I had a really random weird-ass dream last night about the Manson family. The dream was surreal, like a super graphic horror movie. BUT! I am drinking Sleepytime Extra for the first time tonight on @Adventurous's suggestion in another (newer) thread so maybe tonight's the night things get REALLY weird.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
...so maybe tonight's the night things get REALLY weird.
Things did not get any weirder than normal. I recall some sort of boat, in a canal... and if I swept the deck either towards the stern or bow it would make the boat travel through time. The longer the sweep, the further through time I would travel. And then I forgot something in the past... and had to make a big sweep and then run back along the shores to get it. Though I'm not sure if I was successful as the dream transitioned into me observing or being part of a bachelor party, where the best man and the maid of honor coordinated both the bachelor and bachelorette parties so the two engaged folks would run into each other in "random" places during their respective party nights out...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
My sleepytime inspired dream last night consisted of snakes. Snakes everywhere. Snakes looking like branches and snakes wrapped around said snake branches.

They were nice enough snakes, so it wasn't unpleasant.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I tend to dream about what I thought a lot about the prior day. Which often results in not fun dreams about work and other stressfull things. Been playing this video game called Outer Wilds right before bed recently. The chill music and relaxed play calms me and flushes all the prior thoughts of the day. As a result I end up having dreams about exploring space which is pretty cool. The dreams are not an analog of the game, but certainly inspired by it.

Shizzon

Monkey
Jun 25, 2015
It seems the pandemic has made it's way into my dreams as of late; I have been having odd ones in which I find myself in a large group of people or social gathering and I feel extremely uncomfortable and/or guilty for forgetting my mask.

In the dreams I'm typically sitting there thinking how the f*%k I got myself into this situation as I never go anywhere without a mask these days (I don't go anywhere public other than the grocery store these days). It's a bit of a mindf*%k.

Are there any other Monkey's practicing social distancing in their dreams?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Last night's was a doozy, and there was no Benadryl or Sleepytime Extra in the mix.

Dreamt I was part of a car build-off challenge. Two teams, my team had my dad and brother* on it (I think). Each team was given a chassis/vehicle frame and running gear for the build. I think we needed to put together the chassis like an erector set, but both teams had the same stuff that the vehicle would sit on. Running gear was 4x4, which was kind of the point of the build? Then each team was given a classic or somewhat older vehicle to modify and build out. Ours was like this weird square body Izuzu Trooper looking thing (I wanna say my brother even called it a 'Paratrooper' in the dream) that had been built out as a drag race vehicle, and it was beat to shit. As the other team members started doing whatever they were doing, I started sketching ideas for what our vehicle would be. I came up with a 'Black Knight' concept, and the sketch looked like a vintage steam locomotive crossed with an Izuzu Trooper but with huge tires like a rock crawler, and had a distinct Monty Python and the Holy Grail theme going on...

*Side note: my brother passed away in 1993, when I was 21 and he was 19. He appears pretty regularly in my dreams.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Few nights ago I dreamt I was driving through the entrance to the gated community where I grew up, it looks like Taco-Bell, SW-style. In the adobe and enclaves, I noticed a lot of bike parts and partially-completed bikes. I instantly recognized this as a chop-shop, so I started taking pictures. Then, ahead on the road, I noticed a big marlin going after a little sardine, on the road, flopping around. As I got closer, I noticed a big dinosaur-type raptor thing, but it was covered in feathers and had an "alien" head, not like a dinosaur. It was strange. At least I did my part for stolen bikes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just got a line on last night's dream:

Was at some kind of a club where they were playing various Jane's Addiction songs/videos and there was some kind of yoga shit going on at the same time. Video ended and then they brought out a live band, not Jane's, but they were playing the intro to Jane Says, the steel-drum version with the long intro. There were a bunch of yoga dancers or some shit on the stage. In the crowd, they were handing out these crazy cat-like robes that people were putting on to dance to the intro drums/music, like pointy ears and big-head shit. I didn't want to put one on though, because for some reason I had ordered food. Then my food came it and was like a 2-foot long hoagie, sliced halfway through, and then like 2 other sides. I had only paid for a sandwich, so I was trying to make sure I wasn't being charged for all that extra stuff, but server said, don't worry 'bout it. All this while "Jane Says" was starting. This version:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Had a dream last night where I was playing a baseball game and got called out while stealing home for "making contact with the catcher". In said dream I was so incredibly incensed that I got thrown out of the game by the ump.

I woke up angry (this was at 2 am), and it took a while before I could calm down enough to get back to sleep.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Two nights ago, but I remember this one. At the top of a sky-scraper for some sort of business meeting or presentation with the "boss", all the suits are there. Get done, take the elevator down. People get off at a lot of intermediate floors, but I'm just trying to leave, so trying to get to the bottom. No one stays on the elevator until the bottom floor though and when I'm there by myself, it skips the bottom, even though I pressed the button. The elevator "returns" to the top via a separate accelerated loop with no stops, then repeats the process. I don't want to seem like an idiot and ask people to "come with me" to the bottom, but the process repeats itself. I decide to get out at the last floor, the 5th, where the last people disembark. Look for the stairs. But the stairs end on the 5th floor. It is impossible to get to the bottom.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The other night I dreamt that I had purchased a 1975 Land Rover Defender Troopy for $1,500 and drove it to Moab. On the way home I was driving through Kansas and hit a vehicle safety checkpoint where they proceeded to demolish the truck, then tell me it was unfit to navigate the roads.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The other night I dreamt that I had purchased a 1975 Land Rover Defender Troopy for $1,500 and drove it to Moab. On the way home I was driving through Kansas and hit a vehicle safety checkpoint where they proceeded to demolish the truck, then tell me it was unfit to navigate the roads.
the lesson here: fuck kansas