Quantcast

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Yeah for sure. We can run a test without it being final. Which is how he got where he is. All matters go to the Cat, so I think he is getting a new one? Then go for final test. I'll let you know. Now I am wondering how much the Seller is responsible?

Avy
Out of state seller has zero responsibility.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Never understood why CA doesn’t accept non CARB cats, tailpipe emissions are tailpipe emissions. Toshi is right, technically it must be CARB approved, and no aftermarket cats are, so you need good OEM cats. You can risk a junkyard Y pipe, ideally one from a wrecked truck because it improves the odds of them working right prior to ending up in the junkyard.

That said, I’ve never once had them look under my truck at anything at smog, if you can acquire non CARB cats and check it prior to the official test, it’s probably worth risking it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If you purchase a used vehicle, that is 26 years old, how would they even be able to tell if it's an OEM cat or not? Surely by then all the serial numbers and markings would be long gone, corroded or covered in shit.

Obviously not the case here - but if one were swapped in and made to look like it's always there. How would they catch it?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
If you purchase a used vehicle, that is 26 years old, how would they even be able to tell if it's an OEM cat or not? Surely by then all the serial numbers and markings would be long gone, corroded or covered in shit.

Obviously not the case here - but if one were swapped in and made to look like it's always there. How would they catch it?
Yeah Brother so,it seems it is not a visual matter,but a Carb matter. I love this idea Jm said, but I don’t know? It seems like a wonderful workaround? Son say’s he is waiting for a “model” number from the State. Hopefully it is a cheaper Cat. He has till Aug. to deal with it,but wants it done yesterday. It has been a great learning experience none the less. Word.

Avy

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

OEM will always have OEM markings, and factory Y pipes will have factory welds, pretty easy to spot.

Again, will they check it? Probably not, but it’s not unheard of for CHP or the local Popo to set up roadside smog inspections, mostly looking for modified cars, but I suppose it’s possible they’d check. Since the truck came from Oregon, I’d just plead ignorance if they spotted the “illegal” cats, if it passes smog why would you question it at the time of sale?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
OEM will always have OEM markings, and factory Y pipes will have factory welds, pretty easy to spot.

Again, will they check it? Probably not, but it’s not unheard of for CHP or the local Popo to set up roadside smog inspections, mostly looking for modified cars, but I suppose it’s possible they’d check. Since the truck came from Oregon, I’d just plead ignorance if they spotted the “illegal” cats, if it passes smog why would you question it at the time of sale?
I guess one thing I didn't take into account is that I'm used to seeing 26 year old cars driving around with exhaust that looks like a rusted blob. Even on vehicles half that age, the bolts and hardware on exhaust have most likely decomposed back to their original mineral state, thanks to the salt.

I mean I'd be surprised if a 26 year old vehicle that's been driven regularly through winters out here even had its original exhaust anymore, it probably fell off on a trip to Buffalo at one point. :busted:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

When I lived in CA, it was the urban areas where you had to follow these rules, like Sacramento County. If you lived outside of this, like in places people actually like to live, the was no "smog" stuff to worry about. Cars didn't have to be "smogged".

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
When I lived in CA, it was the urban areas where you had to follow these rules, like Sacramento County. If you lived outside of this, like in places people actually like to live, the was no "smog" stuff to worry about. Cars didn't have to be "smogged".
CA is a Joke. A money making self destructing State. We have on a more serious matter, Nuclear Plants 40 years old on The most earthquake zone there is. Newsom approved to continue monies for the Diablo plant which if it goes will make Japans look like small potatoes. I am Scared to the death. All over the States we have Old plants that need shut down yesterday. Save for GA with that clusterfuck Taxpaying matter. Obama amoung others making us pay for that over Billion dollar budget. Metal can only last so long. You fucking idiots! I’m done.

Avy

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The VW is still nice, not sure how well the powertrain would cope getting around in the mountains though.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Update:

Handsom ran a second test,same smog guy,different results. He then replaced the Fuel filter,and the 02 censor based on what they thought. He said the Censor was Dirty and look’ed OG? 175$ no labor as he did it himself. Also,the CA State Smog Guy was not very helpful as he told him toget an after market Cat,which is where we were at from the get. None the less,good to know. Son says aftermarket Cat he is looking at is just a little over 900$. He will run it a few day’s and then go in for the Final,that’s right,the Final! No Cat at this point.

My Son is very short tempered,frustrated,and is arguing with Avy. Soo,I brought up The most important matter,the Turkey. Son is a Buthcher for all that do not know.

Handsom? What! So,I’m coming Sunday to pick up the Turkey? Yes! What time am I to assume that will be? 11am Pa. I Love You.

Avy

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It takes balls to market a vehicle exclusively to middle east terrorists. I am not sure of the market size. Seems faulty.
The way it usually works out we’ll probably buy them for the terrorists somehow.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The way it usually works out we’ll probably buy them for the terrorists somehow.
50 cal weapons usually are well suited for Hilux utilization. The rounds usually don't make you sick like the depleted uranium shells they use in in larger caliber weapons.