Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
$200/hour is 100% questionable and not fair. A good master technician is only getting $25-$30/hour flat rate out of that $200. $100 or more of that $200 is going directly into the owners pocket. Corporate greed from the big car dealer conglomerates is trickling down to the small mom and pop dealerships. The only ones making money now are owners and top tier management.

I had a 2003 Vdub Tdi, I didn't bleed shit when I changed the fuel filter, half the time I didn't even have diesel on hand to fill the filter. I just let it crank over for a couple minutes until the fuel pump delivered enough diesel to refill the filter. Yes I know that is stupid but I was young and stupid back then.
Tools, diagnostic systems they are required to have, usually a variety of them even for one mfr, lifts, etc. I mean, these days this is where a lot if not most of the profit comes from as a dealer, but it's also totally normal on the other hand that the pay is only a fraction of that per hour cost.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
$200/hour is 100% questionable and not fair. A good master technician is only getting $25-$30/hour flat rate out of that $200. $100 or more of that $200 is going directly into the owners pocket. Corporate greed from the big car dealer conglomerates is trickling down to the small mom and pop dealerships. The only ones making money now are owners and top tier management.

I had a 2003 Vdub Tdi, I didn't bleed shit when I changed the fuel filter, half the time I didn't even have diesel on hand to fill the filter. I just let it crank over for a couple minutes until the fuel pump delivered enough diesel to refill the filter. Yes I know that is stupid but I was young and stupid back then.
Over the past two years I have taken my vehicles to mechanics (independent and stealership) more than in the previous 30 years. Across the board the shop rates were >$175/hour and the work was horrible. In one case tow the vehicle back to a different mechanic level of horrible!

Luckily, we still have a good local machine shop, because I am back to working on my own stuff. I thought I didn’t have time to do it myself, but it turns out I have even less time when other people do shitty work…

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
….but it's also totally normal on the other hand that the pay is only a fraction of that per hour cost.
Is it normal?

Lots of overhead costs for the fancy Toyota service center here in town with tablets to take down your info and expensive coffee getting stale on the hot plate, but it’s all worthless without the techs.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Is it normal?

Lots of overhead costs for the fancy Toyota service center here in town with tablets to take down your info and expensive coffee getting stale on the hot plate, but it’s all worthless without the techs.
The fancy customer lounge with big TV's, nice chairs and expensive coffee is actually paid for by the sales department.

Service drive tablets, tools and all the other bullshit to fix cars come on the monthly parts department statement.

Service is just labor for the techs, car porters, service writer pay and lining the big guy's pockets.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the dealership tried nailing my brother for something that was covered under warranty/recall notice when a CEL came up on his atlas....

dealership called...told him a amount....he said no.....check your shit....i got a email about that...

i am sorry sir....you are correct...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The irony is very strong in blaming the buyers for flipping cars. Porsche must have forgotten about supply and demand. Their limited run of this car is what is causing the price to go up. Just produce more and the prices will stay low. Or don't make it at all and produce more entry level 911s at a good price if you want people out there driving your cars. All of this is just more marketing bull shit to prove they are a drivers focused company.

The lease deal makes the most sense out of all manufacturers schemes to stop flipping. Even if they made more units, they’d still get scalped the first few years, Ford has no limit on Raptor or Bronco production but they sell for well over sticker the first few years while supply catches up with demand. Same with Corvette, WRX, Teslas, Supras, pretty much anything kinda special these days gets flipped for a massive profit.

The other things manufacturers have tried like Fords qualification program for the GT or Ferrari being total cunts and requiring you to buy every single model they make to earn an allocation for their new stuff kinda suck and barely accomplish the goal of ensuring cars end up in enthusiast hands anyway.

Now if they would just cut out the dealers, lease them without a mark up, and place explosives in the gas tank that detonate if they haven’t hit certain minimum mileage requirements.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Minus the functionality of sliding rear doors? WTF is wrong with car designers? :mad:

I assume it is for rugged individuals living the suburban overlanding lifestyle who don't need to worry about dinging doors in the great open gravel parking lots. The infotainment system probably has a built in app to get a few bundles of split firewood delivered directly to your campfire.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not sure if anyone but me had been following the Stanceworks 244 GTK build. They just finished the World Time Attack challenge, it's been a crazy journey. Honda K swapped Ferrari.

images.jpeg

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did some overdue basic maintenance on the car. How in the hell does my engine air filter look brand new while the cabin air filter is basically clogged with what looks like detritus from a tsunami.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Service is just labor for the techs, car porters, service writer pay and lining the big guy's pockets.
Service departments are far less profitable than what most people think.
Labor is sometimes sold at cost (good luck billing more than 70% of all tech hours), and profit comes from parts.

The overhead is huge. Tools, rent, software, service writer, managers, training/certs required by the manufacturer....
A 18-20% gross margin for labor is considered good.
There are many auto/machinery brands for which the entire service dept works at a loss, and owners would gladly just sell parts but cant do because of manufacturer requirements.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Did some overdue basic maintenance on the car. How in the hell does my engine air filter look brand new while the cabin air filter is basically clogged with what looks like detritus from a tsunami.
it's the thick stank

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

By 2003 standards that would be decent animation. There’s probably actually footage of one being wrecked they could have used instead.