Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The production version of the Honda CR-Z has been released, and I'm somewhat nonplussed.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/11/detroit-2010-honda-cr-z-promises-to-bring-driving-joy-to-the-hy/

After a few weeks worth of leaked images and brochure fluff, Honda has finally pulled the covers off its next new production hybrid hatchback. The Japanese automaker claims the CR-Z will bring back the kind of driving joy that hasn't been felt since the CRX last left dealer lots in 1991, saying that owners will embrace this new mild hybrid with both their hearts and minds. We certainly hope they're right.

While we're really digging the looks of the CR-Z and the way it hearkens back to the classic CRX and even the original Insight hybrid, we've gotta admit that we're a tad bit disappointed with the specifications. With 122 horsepower on tap and just 128 lb-ft of torque from the 1.5-liter VTEC four-cylinder with Integrated Motor Assist, shouldn't we expect more than 36 miles per gallon in the city and 38 on the highway from the CR-Z?

Let's just hope that the car's driving dynamics live up to the lofty standards to which Honda is eluding – at least there's an optional six-speed manual transmission to go along with the expected CVT automatic. We'll know soon enough know how it goes down the road, as the 2011 CR-Z is slated to hit the ground running in the summer. In the meantime, check out our live images below and click past the break for the press release.

Stepping back a bit from the internet forum froth to take a look at this:

1) Low 2-seat car + 6-speed stick + low weight might be fun, blunted nose or not.

2) The mileage is certainly disappointing compared to a Prius (with twice the doors and seats) or even an Insight, but compared to other sporty coupes or even the Miata/MX-5 it's an improvement. Also keep in mind the mpg vs. gpm paradox, with an inflection point, if you will, around 30 mpg. You really won't save much money at all going from a 37 mpg avg car to a 50 mpg avg one.

3) Pricing will determine the nature of the beast. An Insight EX is $22k iirc. I hope this slots in under that.

CN: It might not be as horrible as it seems at first glance, if it is priced right. I'll wait for the driving impressions as it makes the media rounds.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the claimed mileage on the car is sad. ill stick a diesel ANY day over a hybrid

the CRX from the 80's got nearly 50mpg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the claimed mileage on the car is sad. ill stick a diesel ANY day over a hybrid

the CRX from the 80's got nearly 50mpg
I averaged 48mpg in my '89 CRX DX driving like a jackass.
A diesel isn't my idea of fun in a small two-seat car. Besides, this CR-Z is going to be priced under the Insight, and I don't see any USDM diesels in that market segment, let alone in a small two-seater with a 6-speed manual. (No, a Golf doesn't count.)

And comparisons to old cars are unfair due to safety laws--I like my legs intact, thanks--and vastly lower smog-forming emissions on new vehicles. Oh, and the fact that all pre-'95 Hondas of any interest have been riced to hell and back. True story. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Oh, and the fact that all pre-'95 Hondas of any interest have been riced to hell and back. True story. :D
I remember a guy around the corner from me had a CRX that he put some Integra motor in or something, with NOS, no interior, full cage, and everything. Still ran 12's in the 1/4. :rofl:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
A diesel isn't my idea of fun in a small two-seat car. Besides, this CR-Z is going to be priced under the Insight, and I don't see any USDM diesels in that market segment, let alone in a small two-seater with a 6-speed manual. (No, a Golf doesn't count.)

And comparisons to old cars are unfair due to safety laws--I like my legs intact, thanks--and vastly lower smog-forming emissions on new vehicles.
a hybrid is the farthest thing from "fun" in a car that i can think of....besides a flinstones powered car.
diesels have tons of low end torque where it matters.
its good to see that itll be cheap. i men it is a small 2 seater w/ a small engine and small motor.

and we arent comparing the safety of the old cars. obviously they were death traps compared to newer cars, but the fact that the old CRX's got 50+ mpg w/ a carburetor makes this car and every hybrid stupid.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
a hybrid is the farthest thing from "fun" in a car that i can think of....besides a flinstones powered car.
diesels have tons of low end torque where it matters.
its good to see that itll be cheap. i men it is a small 2 seater w/ a small engine and small motor.
Electric motors have instant torque, faster than any ICE drivetrain, hence the upcoming luxury/sport electric cars on the horizon.

These cars aren't stupid unless the old cars have the similar weight, space, features, and/or resulting air quality impact.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Electric motors have instant torque, faster than any ICE drivetrain, hence the upcoming luxury/sport electric cars on the horizon.

These cars aren't stupid unless the old cars have the similar weight, space, features, and/or resulting air quality impact.
im fully aware of what electric motors can do. this isnt a full electric vehicle. its a hybrid.
the Audi E-tron, Tesla Roadster or any Fisker car have more appeal to me than a gas engine and motor combo...and dont get me started on Chevy's "great answer", the Volt.
33mpg combo for the manual and 38mpg for the CVT isnt that great. id be more interested if America got off their ass and made a diesel w/ motor assist.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and we arent comparing the safety of the old cars. obviously they were death traps compared to newer cars, but the fact that the old CRX's got 50+ mpg w/ a carburetor makes this car and every hybrid stupid.
I'm saying that your comparison of a 22 year old car's mileage to that of a new one is invalid because of the other factors that rational people consider when choosing a vehicle. An 1886 Daimler Benz probably got great mileage as it putted along at 5 mph…

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have said it before, I will say it again. I want to see it and drive it myself. A 6 speed CRZ might be exactly what I need considering it's price point is below the Insight. I thought the mileage would have been better, too considering you can get 28 average in a 350z that is certainly MUCH more fun to drive. But 38 is damn good.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm saying that your comparison of a 22 year old car's mileage to that of a new one is invalid because of the other factors that rational people consider when choosing a vehicle. An 1886 Daimler Benz probably got great mileage as it putted along at 5 mph…
i was comparing gas mileage guy. not functionality. not safety. not looks. i think if you tell someone you could get a used car that still got 40-50mpg or a brand new "state of the art" new car got 33mpg, then people wouldnt be dropping their panties for hybrids

the fact is a old antiquated carborated engine, got better gas mileage then today's hybrids with their fancy motors

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
if vw would get their sh*t together.....

0-60 in 6.2 seconds

35 mpg in european cycle.....upwards of 62 mpg in "eco" mode...
The new Honda is a affordable/economy hybrid.

For an average priced car, the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid gets 39 mpg in the EPA combined cycle and around 35-36 mpg combined in the real world with a 0-60 of 8.5 seconds (about average for standard family sedan) and it drives/feels like a regular car. Not quite as fast or good looking but much more space/practicality than either and similar mileage.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have said it before, I will say it again. I want to see it and drive it myself. A 6 speed CRZ might be exactly what I need considering it's price point is below the Insight. I thought the mileage would have been better, too considering you can get 28 average in a 350z that is certainly MUCH more fun to drive. But 38 is damn good.
28 avg? Wha? I see the 350Z listed as 18/24/20!

I agree with you that the CR-Z might be good. Or it might be phenomenally bad. The NASIOC crowd certainly hasn't taken too kindly to it after seeing it in the flesh and seeing specs. I wonder how much it weighs…

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
28 avg? Wha? I see the 350Z listed as 18/24/20!

I agree with you that the CR-Z might be good. Or it might be phenomenally bad. The NASIOC crowd certainly hasn't taken too kindly to it after seeing it in the flesh and seeing specs. I wonder how much it weighs…
If I recall, Joe was getting 28 in his base model 6 speed if he kept his foot out of it. Not sure if he ever checked the actual mpg, or if that's what the car was telling him to feel better about himself.

I dig the looks of the CR-Z in the pictures, but I want to drive it. I actually had a blast driving the 08 Fit Sport, I would hope it would be at least as fun.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4342510.html

Orange County Choppers Hybrid Motorcycle

Except for the computer touchscreen on top of the tank, most people won't recognize that this is not a conventional custom bike. There's plenty of chrome, a great paint job and saddlebags. In this case, the saddlebags are filled with lithium-ion batteries, and a closer look at what would be the transmission would have any onlooker scratching his head. Under the "transmission" cover are the clutches and sprockets that connect the S&S 45-degree V-twin engine to the two electric motors.

In Mode 4, which employs both 48-hp electric motors and the 100-cubic-inch gasoline engine, output at the rear wheel was, as predicted, 297 lb-ft of torque, and with an extremely wide powerband. Awesome.

In Mode 1, energy from the batteries powers only the rear AC motor. In Mode 2, the gas engine kicks on and drives the front-mounted electric motor, which supplies juice to the other electric motor. In Mode 1, the bike is, as most EVs are, eerily quiet. Firing up the big-displacement open-piped IC engine makes it sound like a real bike again.

Schneider promises 40 miles of engine-off Mode 1 electric cruising, and 70 mpg when the IC engine is running, but there's no way to assess that yet.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well, the 4cyl Altima I rented last year got in the upper 20's (99% highway) and I was going the speed limit. I think he should check his math.
my Alltima got 31mpg on the highway w/ no roof rack and about 25 with a rack on and 22mpg w/ rack and two DH bikes on the roof.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well, the 4cyl Altima I rented last year got in the upper 20's (99% highway) and I was going the speed limit. I think he should check his math.
EPA rates the 2005 350z at 17/23, hyper mile reports are up to 30+.

If I pulse and glide, I average 36 mpg on the interstate. If I set the cruise to 55, I average 33 mpg on the interstate.
Sorry the Altima sucked for you. I wouldn't drive one if you paid me.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Sorry the Altima sucked for you. I wouldn't drive one if you paid me.
its actually a great car..once they fix their CVT issue, then itll be even more better. i put 28k miles on it in less than a year. if it was a bit bigger, id buy one for personal use.
btw, i was paid to drive one :)

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toyota MR2 Sports Hybrid Concept

2866 lbs. 400 hp or so from a 3.3L V6 driving the rear wheels and a hybrid electric setup driving the front wheels. I wonder if this implies anything about future products, say, five years out from Toyota. Hybrid FT-86, perhaps?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i have a lot of respect for Moto Czysz's work, but they got crushed in this years TTGXP race.
hopefully with the MotoGP rules changing engine sizes again, they will be able to compete with their gas bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1. The Nissan Leaf will be on tour in Boston on Feb 9, NYC (MSG) on Feb 10, NYC (Columbus Circle/Time Warner Building) on Feb 12, and Jersey City (wtf?) on Feb 13. I'm hoping to see it on Feb 12 but probably will be limited to just snapping some photos of it in dim lighting.

2. The NYTimes has a writeup on electric bikes today: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/business/global/01ebike.html?pagewanted=all

Detroit may be introducing electric car designs and China may be pushing forward with a big expansion of its highways and trains. But people like Mr. Jiang, Ms. Wijzenbeek-Voet and Mr. Chiu — as well as delivery workers in New York, postal employees in Germany and commuters from Canada to Japan — are among the millions taking part in a more accidental transportation upheaval.

It began in China, where an estimated 120 million electric bicycles now hum along the roads, up from a few thousand in the 1990s. They are replacing traditional bikes and motorcycles at a rapid clip and, in many cases, allowing people to put off the switch to cars.

In turn, the booming Chinese electric-bike industry is spurring worldwide interest and impressive sales in India, Europe and the United States. China is exporting many bikes, and Western manufacturers are also copying the Chinese trend to produce models of their own. From virtually nothing a decade ago, electric bikes have become an $11 billion global industry.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Source: Autoblog.com's Geneva Preview

Autoblog said:
In an interesting about-face, Porsche has revealed the first images and details on its new racer, the 911 GT3 R Hybrid.

Based on the rear-drive 911 GT3 R that's set to take to the track in privateer hands later this year, the GT3 R Hybrid utilizes a rear-mounted, 480-hp 4.0-liter flat-six in conjunction with two electric motors that drive the front wheels. Residing in the space normally reserved for the passenger seat sits a flywheel, which harnesses kinetic energy under braking and can spin upwards of 40,000 rpm. Once enough energy is stored, the system lets loose up to 120 kilowatts – approximately 160 horsepower – to the front wheels in six to eight second bursts that are controlled by a steering wheel-mounted button.

Porsche apparently hasn't released official performance specs, but the GT3 R Hybrid's world debut will take place at the Geneva Motor Show before it hits the track for its motorsports debut at the Nürburgring 24 Hours on May 15. Devised as a rolling "racing laboratory," after the Hybrid takes to the Green Hell this year, Porsche plans to assault the 24 Hours of LeMans in a refined version in 2012, just as the sanctioning body begins to favor hybrids. Now about that "no hybrids" thing...
Photos: