Quantcast

Team vs WC

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Does anyone have REAL time on both the 2010 Boxxer Team and WC? How much different do they feel?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I really would like to know the answer to this question as well, from someone who has actually ridden each, and actually owes one of them. I'm pleased with my Team, but like the 40 I owned back in the day, I find myself constantly swaping new springs in combination with different setting configurations. I'm beginning to think I should have followed my gut and went with the WC I always ran in the past for the adjustability of air.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
The world cup is so much easier to tune. air pressure FTW!
but doesn't necessarily gives you better performance...so on one side you have the performance of the coil spring versus the ease to use an air sprung fork...

I dont know anything about BoXXers, but was under the impression they both share the same damper but one has a coil spring and the other air( and Im too lazy to look it up ) so in theory the Team would give you better performance?!?!? :confused:

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
wc has more seals = more to go wrong, but air is more tune able
team has coil spring, less to go wrong, limited spring rates, don't have to worry about air leaking out slowly.

have not ridden either.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
but doesn't necessarily gives you better performance...so on one side you have the performance of the coil spring versus the ease to use an air sprung fork...

I dont know anything about BoXXers, but was under the impression they both share the same damper but one has a coil spring and the other air( and Im too lazy to look it up ) so in theory the Team would give you better performance?!?!? :confused:
The team spring rate, in a word, sucks IMO, way to stiff/progressive. I own the Team and have spent 4 frustrating months trying to get a satisfactory ride quality out of my Team. after trying the medium and soft springs and chopping an inch out of the drop stop elastomer I've finally settled on the soft spring (I'm 175lbs, soft spring, WTF?). The feel of the team is far more progressive than the WC. My buddies WC felt much better than mine and provided more usable tuning with the more linear air spring. Basically to get usable travel out of my team I run a soft spring, no bottom out assistance, and inch shortened drop stop elastomer and both compression settings backed out almost all the way.

They may share the same damper, but the WC is worth the loot for fewer tuning frustrations.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The new WC has a floating (auto-resizing) negative chamber which should make the fork more linear than the previous forks, and when you factor in that the Team now has the stupid drop-stop that Zark described the pains of, I'd be opting for the WC.

It will be a lighter, more tunable fork out of the box, and you won't have to go modding/removing things to get all the travel out of it.

Alternatively you could get the Team and mod or remove the dropstop to make it more linear. Either way, just make sure you get the updated version, and pack the seals with grease and add/change the lower oil when you get them. It'll save a lot of heartache.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Alternatively you could get the Team and mod or remove the dropstop to make it more linear.
That elastomer only engages in the last inch of travel doesn't it?

I'm 160lbs on the light spring and defintely bottom mine in a few places. I really don't feel it hindering travel or anything. Certainly not in a way that makes the fork feel overly progressive.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah that's correct, but on the ones I rode it was preventing full (200mm) travel usage. I guess YMMV, and it's not like you can't change it if it is bothering you.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im 180 and my LBS suggested soft spring and bottom out stopper at full height.

So back to the questions at hand. Has anyone ridden BOTH and how different do they feel?

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Am I the only person who is having no problems with the drop stop? The rubber ring around the stanchion is always bottomed out against the lower crown at the end of a run, and I'm not riding any harder/differently than anybody else. I weigh 150, running the stock spring.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah that's correct, but on the ones I rode it was preventing full (200mm) travel usage. I guess YMMV, and it's not like you can't change it if it is bothering you.
You just gotta hit shlt harder :D

With the spring I "should" be using I never touched the last inch of travel, true.

But everyone I know my weight ends up running the lighter spring. It really does balance out better and then the bottom out bumper does it's thing in the 5-10% of the time you go that deep.

Point is, I don't think that bumper makes the stroke progressive. It just makes the last inch on too high a spring rate inaccessible. Subtle difference. ;)

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Am I the only person who is having no problems with the drop stop? The rubber ring around the stanchion is always bottomed out against the lower crown at the end of a run, and I'm not riding any harder/differently than anybody else. I weigh 150, running the stock spring.
No...I too have had no issues with it. I too am 150 on a heavy day, but run the soft spring. I run through all of my travel once a ride here in Squamish BC. At first when it was brand new I thought I was going to have to take it out but once the fork bed in I noticed I was blowing through all the travel and had to make some adjustments to the damper. It runs sweet as now!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I'm 160lbs on the light spring and defintely bottom mine in a few places. I really don't feel it hindering travel or anything. Certainly not in a way that makes the fork feel overly progressive.
Yep, I was following this guy off this triple this morning and he has a 2010 Boxxer Team, and he was using every bit of his travel. Trust me. (the landing is past the big tree on the far right of the pic.)
I know two pinners around here on that fork and both of them love it and have no problems with it.
And just for good measure, I used all the travel on my 08 boxxer team on said jump with a magnificent tank slapping bar hump today.
Bender himself could not have landed more rear wheel heavy.;)

Last edited:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
But yeah that 2010 team for is the best dh fork I've ever owned. The bottom out judy tech elastomer seems to do exactly what it's supposed to, nothing more, nothing less.
LOFL:p Judy Tech! You frickin nailed it. It is a 1990's throwback isn't it?

Maybe your right and it is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm pretty damn happy with my fork now. It just took way too long to get there. SRAM screwed the pooch on the spring rating, the medium spring is supposed to be 160-180lb weight range, I guess they erred on the safe side. I just wish it didn't take a whole summer to get the right feel.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I have the same problem with my team, only can use around 180mm (on a track like Schladming!)

Now i removed the drop stop and it feels better on the "car park" but I had no change to test it on a real track yet, becouse winter is starting in Austria and all tracks are closed.

One side question: If i want to reinstall the drop stop, should i place it in the middle of the spring or at the end of the spring?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Very interesting! So do you think the heavy spring (x-heavy?) would be adequate for a 250+ lbs guy? It appears the springs run firm, and I want a new fork, so I'm x'ing my fingers. Ideally I drop down to 220, but I'm no idealist. ;)

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
i like my WC quite a bit. Its going to come down to the typical air vs coil debate. I got the wc and it is crazy how tunable it is. it is very plush for an air fork and coming off a 2009 marz 888 ata (for sale) i don't notice a huge difference in stiffness or plushness.

although i do have to say that the 2009 boxxer team i owned for a very brief period was pretty dang plush.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yep, I was following this guy off this triple this morning and he has a 2010 Boxxer Team, and he was using every bit of his travel. Trust me. (the landing is past the big tree on the far right of the pic.)
I know two pinners around here on that fork and both of them love it and have no problems with it.
And just for good measure, I used all the travel on my 08 boxxer team on said jump with a magnificent tank slapping bar hump today.
Bender himself could not have landed more rear wheel heavy.;)

And nobody thought of me? I got a bike again. :shakefist:

As for the Team versus Air, I've ridden both, but it's the '08 models both setup for my riding style and weight. The air works pretty darn good from what I could tell in a full 3 day weekend of racing at Snowshoe. It tended to stay up in the travel during little hits like chatter and rooty sections. My '08 Team feels a little more sensitive in chatter, which I'll take any day. It adds up over a 3 day weekend of 1500' vertical runs. But if someone gave me both for the same price, I'd take the team.

Oil bath equals trust. Air equals leak. I've never seen anything in MTB that didn't leak air at some point.

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Not getting full travel is a oil problem I believe I got my Team and could not get anywhere near full travel and had that awful knocking noise,sent it in for service the tech changed the oil in the cartridge,lubed everything and fixed the knocking noise,got it back and now I have full travel.At first I hated the fork but now that it is working properly I love it.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
The drop stop kicks in at 6.5"...

If you shred the fat stepdowns you get full travel, if you hang off the back on a chattery racecourse trimming 1/2 " off or removing it is a good idea.

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
This may be a dumb question, but I'm not to proud to ask.

If I love how my 08 Team feels wouldn't the 2010 "Race" basically be the same? I mean they both basically have Rebound and compression.

Sometimes I think that for the majority of us....suspension is just way to overdone.....best fork I ever owned was an 01 Monster T with just rebound and compression...........I'm not ashamed to just use that and it felt rad.........and I'm NEVER going to be a world cup level racer so I most likely would never noticed all the "improvements".

Race actually seems like the way to go for me? no?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
This may be a dumb question, but I'm not to proud to ask.

If I love how my 08 Team feels wouldn't the 2010 "Race" basically be the same? I mean they both basically have Rebound and compression.

Sometimes I think that for the majority of us....suspension is just way to overdone.....best fork I ever owned was an 01 Monster T with just rebound and compression...........I'm not ashamed to just use that and it felt rad.........and I'm NEVER going to be a world cup level racer so I most likely would never noticed all the "improvements".

Race actually seems like the way to go for me? no?
01 monster? Didn't the older monsters use SSV damping?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
only the monster t2 had ssv, the rest had hscv, 2001 had a different left cartridge, the only one with compression adj

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
only the monster t2 had ssv, the rest had hscv, 2001 had a different left cartridge, the only one with compression adj
You mean that in 2002 the monster had ssv or that there was a 2nd version of monster with SSV that I can't find. Anyway I'm quite sure they higher end marz dampers were of later time and I wouldn't call SSV great.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I thought the Race just used the same basic Moco cartridge as the previous model race? It doesn't use the Moco from the previous Team.

Still happy with my Team. Working well, feels good. Have had it apart a couple of times to regrease & oil, have also modified the stupid adjusters on the bottom of the right leg to make them a bit easier to remove & put back on. I've cut my bottom out adjuster in half & I now have full travel!

As a side note, doing a Race - Team conversion? I understand its nowhere near as cost effective as previous years, but is that because you supposedly need the bottom out bits as well in the spring leg? Because, to put it bluntly, its a waste of time!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What spring is everyone using and what do you weigh? Are people remoing the drop stop, cutting it in 1/2 or removing it all together? Whats the scoop on the team?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
160lb, soft spring, un-cut drop stop 2-3 turns in, 1-3 clicks hsc and 10-13 clicks lsc in from fully open. never had a problem getting full travel.

also run a med. spring w/ less damping on steeper tracks.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
175lbs wet. Maybe 180/185 kitted up, medium spring. Drop stop halved. Can't remember compression settings.

Aiming to lose another 5 or so lbs to get back to fighting weight so may try the soft spring & see what happens!

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
150lbs, soft spring, uncut drop stop and 0 turns in! Still get through the travel! 3 Clicks in on low speed comp, 3 clicks in on high speed comp, 7 clicks beginning stroke, 10 clicks end stroke rebound.

Out of curiosity, Lee what rebound settings are you running?

And -C-. What did you do to the rebound damper to make it easier to remove and put pack in? I imagine something to do with the hokey little snap ring?

Last edited: