Quantcast

Suporeme V2 / fox rc4 awful combination?

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
So here is the thing...

I have a Supreme V2 2011 and as you may no it's a very progressive linkage... i think is very similar to the morewood one.

I have a 2011 fox RC4 on it and i weight 65kg (143lb for the imperial folks).....with a correct 300lbs spring on it......but the bike feel like a 160mm

It has been told me that old RC4 with the big shaft don't work well with very light riders and progressive linkage.... they offered me to revamp my 2011 shock to a kashima 2014 rc4 with smaller shaft. volume control instead of boost valve and the new bearing for 190 euro

Or

I can simply buy a Vivid R2c 2014 (the one with those ****ing springs fighting each other) for 270 euros.... what you guys would do?

I also heard the suggestion to set the chain-stay to the shortest settings with force more weight in the back... :think: regardless the fact that this is not a fix to be fair i never thought about it since i don't see how 1.2cm can change i weight bias in a bike where your position is not static...

p.s. sorry for my english I'm from very far away

Last edited:

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
I have a 2011 V2 supreme 8 ( no HA or wheelbase adjust ).. im 180 but i am still very interested to hearing what the V2's progressiveness is like.. my rc4 doesnt feel terrible, but i have a feeling i can dial it in alittle better

edit: i have proper spring sag (30-35%) and 150psi in the boost chamber... my dials i have no idea where they are click wise, but feels fine

Last edited:

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I have a 2011 V2 supreme 8 ( no HA or wheelbase adjust ).. im 180 but i am still very interested to hearing what the V2's progressiveness is like.. my rc4 doesnt feel terrible, but i have a feeling i can dial it in alittle better

edit: i have proper spring sag (30-35%) and 150psi in the boost chamber... my dials i have no idea where they are click wise, but feels fine
it could be also that I really dislike the commencal...but to be honest i doubt it.....it must be a wrong tuning for me...

Now I owned transition blindiside, fusion terminator, rotec rl9, solid mission 9, I can't believe that the lack of sensibility come from the supreme dh... it must be a bad linkage/shock combination with the fact that I'm very light and I generally love to have a very soft rear end since i tend to drive over the handlebar.

the solid mission 9 was even more progressive than this bike but I had a CCDB on it and honestly i absolutely love how smooth and soft that rear end was.... I was hoping for a similar feeling with the supreme :(

p.s. my sag is 30% but it still feel very firm even with everything open and minimum pressure on it

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I too would go with the small shaft RC4 and removing the boost valve. I'm running the same setup myself happily, and recently put a faster friend on the same thing and he loves it.

You'll get more sensitivity and less air-preload effect (thus a little more sag), and much better bump absorption and travel use deeper in the stroke.

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I too would go with the small shaft RC4 and removing the boost valve. I'm running the same setup myself happily, and recently put a faster friend on the same thing and he loves it.

You'll get more sensitivity and less air-preload effect (thus a little more sag), and much better bump absorption and travel use deeper in the stroke.
even better sensibility then a vivid r2c 2014? cose it will cost me just few bucks more of the shock revamp

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'd personally take the small shaft RC4 over the '14 Vivid, purely because the Fox shock is a higher quality and more reliable damper in my experience. Just confirm with your service center that your '11 RC4 has the updated reservoir bridge (they made the metal thicker where the circlip holds the LSC/HSC assembly in) - the older version (2010, some early 2011) can fail here, if not it should be replaced under warranty anyway, but do ask them directly about this.

I've always found the Vivid functionally a good shock, and the new one does feel quite sensitive with the countermeasure spring (probably a little more than the SS RC4) - but on a relatively progressive frame you don't need to go crazy with initial sensitivity, as the frame will have a high enough leverage ratio initially anyway.

The small shaft RC4 is close enough in sensitivity and is a better built shock, and it also has smoother compression damper (particular on stroke direction changes) in the neck. I've worked on too many Vivids with varying failures to openly recommend them to anyone, but by all means try it if you want.

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I'd personally take the small shaft RC4 over the '14 Vivid, purely because the Fox shock is a higher quality and more reliable damper in my experience. Just confirm with your service center that your '11 RC4 has the updated reservoir bridge (they made the metal thicker where the circlip holds the LSC/HSC assembly in) - the older version (2010, some early 2011) can fail here, if not it should be replaced under warranty anyway, but do ask them directly about this.

I've always found the Vivid functionally a good shock, and the new one does feel quite sensitive with the countermeasure spring (probably a little more than the SS RC4) - but on a relatively progressive frame you don't need to go crazy with initial sensitivity, as the frame will have a high enough leverage ratio initially anyway.

The small shaft RC4 is close enough in sensitivity and is a better built shock, and it also has smoother compression damper (particular on stroke direction changes) in the neck. I've worked on too many Vivids with varying failures to openly recommend them to anyone, but by all means try it if you want.
yeah i think i will follow the advice... and use the money saved for a future kashima upgrade for the fork :)