Quantcast

Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Cam cole 'likes' one of those facebook photos, such a shame that he has already signed up for 2011. Would be awesome to see a rider capable of podiums on the zerode.

Just seen the 'catch up with Kircaldie' on Vital. Imagine the sickness of a Kircaldie come back onboard one of these beauties.

Last edited:

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Looks like it's using a normal rear hub.
Good for compatibility with normal wheelsets, but not ideal.
Shouldn't it have used a fixed drive with no freewheel? The alfine already has it's own freewheel (actually it's a silent roller-clutch), so why not fix the rear hub? it would make the rear wheel lighter, could allow a wider spoke flange spacing, and possibly a narrower OLD (over locknut dimension, ie 135 or 150). The latest Dave Camp creation uses a front hub in the rear, with a fixed sprocket drive.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Last edited:

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Looks like it's using a normal rear hub.
Good for compatibility with normal wheelsets, but not ideal.
Shouldn't it have used a fixed drive with no freewheel? The alfine already has it's own freewheel (actually it's a silent roller-clutch), so why not fix the rear hub? it would make the rear wheel lighter, could allow a wider spoke flange spacing, and possibly a narrower OLD (over locknut dimension, ie 135 or 150). The latest Dave Camp creation uses a front hub in the rear, with a fixed sprocket drive.
I don't know of anyone making a 12mm thru fixed hub, either 135 or 150. Doesn't seem that hard to produce, but, none out at the moment.

One disadvantage of running fixed is increased rotating weight of the chain, generally 250g or so. Fixed hub is going to keep that chain spinning, and you will be fighting that weight when braking. Pretty marginal, but still...

I don't see a real performance advantage to keep the chain spinning. On the Dave Camp der in a box bike, you need the chain spinning in order to shift while coasting. With the alfine hub, it shifts while coasting, so no need to have it spinning.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Not at all. Its just funny that people are already saying whats wrong with the bike, event hough nobody really knows all the details. I mean, its a unique bike, so its hard to say anything about it except that it looks goddam awesome, at least until the details come out.

know what I'm sayin? ;)

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
my friend is on the list for a frame, he says they're sending an adapter kit to add to the rear hub. He is putting it on deemaxes and converting to the single speed. so at least his has nothing to do with speccing a cheap hub, it's on the buyer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the problem with a freewheeling hub is that you fight both the freewheel in the gearhub and the rear hub...makes for a lot of backlash unless you have hubs with lots of engagement points. A stealth hub would be killer on this bike. The lahar reportedly had lots of problems with chain lash...some people hated it, others (xy9) didn't mind it too much, if I remember correctly.

That being said, a fixed rear chain creates a host of problems, including complete drivetrain meltdown should a stick get caught in your chain, which is entirely possible.

If derpmachine is referring to my comments about a floater...well no, I don't know how it will ride without one, but my experiences with one on a very similar suspension design suggest to me that I like the way a bike rides with one...some people want their bike to pack up under braking, and that's fine for them, I want my suspension active. Still, I'd accept and ride one of these in a heartbeat just the way they designed it....I just need mo' cashes.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
Haha .why would you want a fix wheel. At a race when you smash a wheel you can scab one or readily get another from a shop. If you've got a fixy your off home to lace up a new rim over night.
Having ridden round on the prototype it picks up really quick
Plus don't forget dodzy got 2nd overall in our nat series ,and was only a few hair off sam blenkinsops time at one round of our nationals . The proto worked great to good results so the production will be more refined.

Fixed wheels........bah

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
the problem with a freewheeling hub is that you fight both the freewheel in the gearhub and the rear hub...makes for a lot of backlash unless you have hubs with lots of engagement points. A stealth hub would be killer on this bike. The lahar reportedly had lots of problems with chain lash...some people hated it, others (xy9) didn't mind it too much, if I remember correctly.

That being said, a fixed rear chain creates a host of problems, including complete drivetrain meltdown should a stick get caught in your chain, which is entirely possible.

If derpmachine is referring to my comments about a floater...well no, I don't know how it will ride without one, but my experiences with one on a very similar suspension design suggest to me that I like the way a bike rides with one...some people want their bike to pack up under braking, and that's fine for them, I want my suspension active. Still, I'd accept and ride one of these in a heartbeat just the way they designed it....I just need mo' cashes.

So Profiles new ELITE HUBS with204 points ought to work? They have been working on the MTB versions. Hope they actually release them soon. BTW the bike looks killer!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
The lahar reportedly had lots of problems with chain lash...some people hated it, others (xy9) didn't mind it too much, if I remember correctly.
a non issue, imo. the gearhub stays stationary when coasting & seems to be 'engaged' (ie, not in between ratchet points) so doesn't introduce any significant additional driveline lash in my experience. the whole engagement point fetish is silly for dh bikes anyways.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah...i mean I have no idea what the alfine hub's engagement looks like, but you have to basically consider that you'll never get any better than that. So if it's 30pts, a roller clutch hub will give you 30 pts. If you've got two 30s, you'll probably fall somewhere between 30 and 15 points of engagement since both have to engage.

I think it's a great idea that they use a normal hub though...hot swapping at the course is way more beneficial than a slight amount of drivetrain lash.

Those profiles look superb though...and from what I know of profile hubs, they should be pretty good.

morpheous

Chimp
Jan 26, 2010
They're using a regular (and rather cheap looking) rear hub. If you look closely you can see they knocked off the pressed-on, left, Nexus hub flange.
Yes that should at least be a Shimano Alfine-8 as they are rated for Off road use. Cant imagine that a nexus will hold up.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The rear hub is an atomlab hub, FYI.
It's the same color as a Ringle hub I've seen. Still just Taiwan catalog. Not bad, just nothing special.
The engagement is totally something that's noticeable. I switched from a profile (36point) to a stealth hub (roller clutch) and there was a tangible difference. I'm not nearly fast enough for that to make a competetive difference, but the backlash stackup for two hubs has to be considerable.

Yes that should at least be a Shimano Alfine-8 as they are rated for Off road use. Cant imagine that a nexus will hold up.
I stand corrected. It is an alfine. Though I don't think the offroad rating will matter much. It won't see pedaling forces any higher than a road bike. It's a pretty light-duty application for a hub. There aren't any crazy impact loads with it tucked in the frame like that. Also, the trail bike seems to be geared so that the intermediate hub spins faster than the rear wheel. More rmp, lower torque, same power. That's smart.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I like that they use a normal hub, keeps it simple if disaster should strike. If you worry about too much engagement space, couldn't you just pack some thick grease in the freehub, which would encourage the lower friction Alfine clutch to let go first...?

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Demomonkey here on Whoops' account.

Saw Dodzy today and shared a seat up one of the shuttles here in Rotorua. The bike looks amazing and as a finished product absolutely nails it. There are ~80 being shipped now and they are for sale....I didnt ask how much but they are not all sold. I suggest the email address posted earlier is your way to a very special bike.

Dodzy will be campaigning one in the upcoming National series and you should be able to find pretty good coverage of that series online with the likes of Leov, Blenki and Cole racing it too. This bike is going to blow up.

Trail bike will be next southern summer, alloy and with a little something extra the DH doesnt have. I've got my name on one.

Dodzy was so stoked on the finished product, a long time and lots of hard work has finally resulted in something real. Great to see what can be achieved with nous and a desire to build something special.

Congratulations to James and Rob again.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
I am beyond excited! All my parts are flowing in. Just need to sort a fork. It will be my first ever from scratch build .
All my other bikes have had hand me down parts.
Plus I've had the same old 2stage since forever.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
There are ~80 being shipped now and they are for sale....I didnt ask how much but they are not all sold. I suggest the email address posted earlier is your way to a very special bike.
That's great news !!!
So it's more than the 30 items I first read about !!!

I suppose those 80 are for NZ market only to begin with ??

I suggest the email address posted earlier is your way to a very special bike.
Could you please give it again ?

Last edited:

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
That's great news !!!
So it's more than the 30 items I first read about !!!

I suppose those 80 are for NZ market only to begin with ??

Could you please give it again ?
Those 80 should be available to anyone who wants one from what Dodzy told me. First in first served - go for it.

Demo

Happy New year BTW to all Monkey's.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Those 80 should be available to anyone who wants one from what Dodzy told me. First in first served - go for it.

Demo

Happy New year BTW to all Monkey's.
Whoops here - normal service resumes. Out riding with demomonkey today and ran in to James on the zerode (wasn't there the other day).

This thing is seriously hot. There are a couple of asthetic aspects I'd want to see tidied up if I were being a jerk, but for a perfect example of function over form, this bike looks like it rocks.

If I had the beans, and the need for a DH frame this would be top of the list.

Look forward to reading some proper reportage on how it handles.

Hooray for James and Rob. Great work guys.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Thanks to both of you !
And by the way a happy new year ...

I got Rob's email on the NZ forum, so waiting for his answer ... but if I'm strongly interested, it's only for 2012.

Cheers !

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Righto lads. Here's the newest pics, straight from Graeme Murray(photog) & James Dodds (designer/tester). There is now a 'Zerode Bikes' page on facebook too.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Questionable shock mount, but looks AMAZING, id like to see a glory skid plate put on there, dont want to 50case a jump

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Looks really interesting :)
However, it looks like first thing that hit a rock or a log is the frame not a chainring/bash.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Noticed on the Facebook picture there's a website address, any word when this will be coming online? Loving this bike!!

Any solid info on price/geo yet? I might have just missed it, emailed to get on the mailing list but I imagine they're busy as feck!

Edit- just checked my email not really expecting a reply yet and the guys had replied about 30 mins after sending 8)

Last edited:

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Questionable shock mount, but looks AMAZING, id like to see a glory skid plate put on there, dont want to 50case a jump
Looks really interesting :)
However, it looks like first thing that hit a rock or a log is the frame not a chainring/bash.
I was said (today) Rob is on CAD for shock protection, even if to this day they've had ZERO problemo with it !

ZERO Disturbing Effect ???? :p:D