Quantcast

Sun. Apr. 13 to Tuesday April 15, Rothrock: The first Roving Lunatics Tour

Three days of riding at Rothrock, Sunday April 13 to Tuesday April 15, to include Coopers Gap.

We have rented a cabin.

Will continue to update.

Original post:

I'm trying to put together a roving band to hit some epics
  • Coopers gap
  • One of several ride about halfway from there to Brevard
  • Pisgah, riding out of Brevard
  • Patapsco Valley State Park, just south of Baltimore
This is approximate. It's going to change. The idea is so a riding buddy and I can do a travel loop including a bunch of interesting 20+ mile rides. Our pivot point is the Big Apple. We both get off on getting lost and suffering.

I'll refine the itinerary based on continued research. Eventually I'll announce a starting date and the first place to meet. After that, whoever joins the show is part of the show. Miss the train, find your own.

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Sounds like good times but I highly doubt I'd be able to keep up with your marathon style pace.

Plus, having a wife & kid definitely inpairs my free time availability.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you are going to be in the mid-atlantic region I highly recommend Douthat State Park in Virginia. There are a lot more trails than displayed on the IMBA map. Spent a solid three day weekend out there a few months ago, face was stuck in a perma-smile for weeks. If one plans ahead comfy and affordable cabins are available. Damn purdy place to boot.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If you are going to be in the mid-atlantic region I highly recommend Douthat State Park in Virginia. There are a lot more trails than displayed on the IMBA map. Spent a solid three day weekend out there a few months ago, face was stuck in a perma-smile for weeks. If one plans ahead comfy and affordable cabins are available. Damn purdy place to boot.
Southern Traverse to boot....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Douthat has a great set of trails, you can reach ludicrous speed on some of those downhills.
Great trails out of Stokesville VA, used for the Shenandoah 100 and some of the SMT tours run from there.
Good riding just North of NYC if you're looking for a day to fill while in the area.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
If you are going to be near Brevard check out ....
DuPont State Forest (Airstrip, Ridgeline, Burnt Mtn), this is where Bridal Veil Falls is.
Kerr Scott #wilkesbermo

I can show you guys around the Charlotte trails if you want to take a Detour to the east from Brevard into civilization. Lake Norman is a good 4 hours saddle time if you ride everything, Steve's Trail, Fisher Farms.....heck, let's have a party in my back yard.

Uwharrie is a good time, they also have ORV trails for you 4x4 nuts, good camping at Arrowhead.

OK, after realizing that few have the time for a two week loop tour, here's what seems to be settling out:

Three days of riding at Rothrock, Sunday April 13 to Tuesday April 15, to include Coopers Gap.
Tentative plan is to stay at Penn Roosevelt State Park, although we may consider renting a place.

We're trying to scheme a dedicated run to Brevard at another time, and I will be planning other trips to go to various places which everyone has suggested.

Last edited:

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Merli Sanorski park in Carbondale Pa would be a good stop also...
Moosic mountain is better, IMO. That place had me begging for mercy by the time I was finished. I had so many scrapes and bruises when I came out of there, and broke the ratchet strap on one of my shoes to boot. That place is BRUTAL!!! I know JBP would love it. :D JBP, if you decide to make that a stop, you should post on the Cycle-CNY forum and ask Bill W. to be your tour guide. He's my friend from back in Ithaca that dropped by Monkeyfest a couple summers ago--who'd been bike touring the NE Kingdom all week. I'm sure you have some vague recollection of him.

Last edited:
Moosic mountain is better, IMO. That place had me begging for mercy by the time I was finished. I had so many scrapes and bruises when I came out of there, and broke the ratchet strap on one of my shoes to boot. That place is BRUTAL!!! I know JBP would love it. :D JBP, if you decide to make that a stop, you should post on the Cycle-CNY forum and ask Bill W. to be your tour guide. He's my friend from back in Ithaca that dropped by Monkeyfest a couple summers ago--who'd been bike touring the NE Kingdom all week. I'm sure you have some vague recollection of him.
I doubt I'll manage to get there this round, but I'll tuck that info away. Now get off your butt and join us at Rothrock!

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I've been wanting to ride Rothrock and Cooper's Gap. Its only about 3-4 hours from me. Although I would probably still be in winter shape and slow.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
rothrock is about 3 hours from me. i could come hang on sunday if that's cool.
Magic Eight Ball Says "HELL YEAH"!!!

I've been wanting to ride Rothrock and Cooper's Gap. Its only about 3-4 hours from me. Although I would probably still be in winter shape and slow.
Not-so-shyly raise her hand....uh, yeah! You can ride with me :D

Sounds like good times but I highly doubt I'd be able to keep up with your marathon style pace. Plus, having a wife & kid definitely inpairs my free time availability.
We will likely be departing from the Crombach family ranchero....it's not far!!!!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
We will likely be departing from the Crombach family ranchero....it's not far!!!!
It looks to be about 4hrs from us in Rochester but I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it that weekend.

If you're gonna be up visiting the rest of the Crombachs before heading down there then maybe Eric and I could meet you guys for a ride here in Rochester.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Rothrock... now there is a place I have not heard in a looong time. Not since I was at Penn State, anyway. :)

I thought only locals and students knew about this place. I might be able to meet up, but I only have a DH rig right now...

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I should be in for at least one day. I've only been to Rothrock once a long time ago, and never to Cooper's Gap but I have heard good things about it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Nobody can camp at Greenwood or any other campsite until the beginning of May. Spring Hunting in PA ends in May 17th and you really, really don't want to be in the woods during that time. All of Rothrock falls in Game Lands area 2G if you want to look it up. Deer fly's are very mean until June also.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nobody can camp at Greenwood or any other campsite until the beginning of May. Spring Hunting in PA ends in May 17th and you really, really don't want to be in the woods during that time. All of Rothrock falls in Game Lands area 2G if you want to look it up. Deer fly's are very mean until June also.....
PA law prohibits hunting on sundays

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am one of those hunters. Only Sober.
my dad uses his bike when hunting to get to spots too far to walk. he goes to allegheny nat'l forest, and there are a lot of old, closed logging roads that he uses to get to really remote fields. he's even got a custom rack to hold a tree stand.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I was just about to post about the hunting, but saw that jdcamb already did. Probably cool to ride Sat. afternoon/evening; as was said, mornings are the huntiest. Sunday is ours.

What time will folks be arriving on Saturday. You thinking big ride Sunday, maybe an Allegrippis recovery ride on Monday? I'm working on getting Monday off to hang a little longer.