Quantcast

Stolen Bike Alert

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Update:

A friend of my roommate gave me the guy's last name but a quick FB and Google search hasn't given me any addresses or any helpful information. The officer I spoke to yesterday said there really is nothing I can do even though I think I know who stole it. Without solid evidence they won't investigate an idividual especially over state lines. I thought about going to the impound lot where the guy was towed to but I doubt they will just give out his address without a warrant. Not sure where to go from here.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Update:

A friend of my roommate gave me the guy's last name but a quick FB and Google search hasn't given me any addresses or any helpful information. The officer I spoke to yesterday said there really is nothing I can do even though I think I know who stole it. Without solid evidence they won't investigate an idividual especially over state lines. I thought about going to the impound lot where the guy was towed to but I doubt they will just give out his address without a warrant. Not sure where to go from here.
Slip the office worker $50 and I bet they will tell you his address.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Update:

www.yasni.com
www.spokeo.com

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Sounds like that guy is a likely suspect. I'm sure you have, but since you know the general vicinity in which he lives, definitely let the shops around there know to be on the lookout. I would send every big shop pictures of the bike and even ask them to hang up a flier in their shop. I'm sure there are local MTB message boards for the area as well. Throw up posts like this one everywhere that you can. If you do that there's a good chance that someone, somewhere, will recognize your bike. Thankfully the red guide you have on there and the seat aren't really common, so if he tries to sell the bike as a whole it should stick out like a sore thumb.

Bike theft is the worst and people hate bike thieves. I'm sure any shop would be willing to keep an eye out for you. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm not suggesting you do anything illegal...but...

you might be able to grab your buddy's phone when he's not around, find the kid's number, then use that to track down either his address, or more likely his cell phone provider. That might give you an avenue to pursue an address.

Again, not suggesting anything, but a quick drive by the guy's house might be warranted...

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Matt if you want me to head up to some of the Arlington/Falls Church shops I wouldnt mind. Shoot me some pictures over email and Ill head up there tomorrow and spread some work around. Also email me the dudes name. Ive got some friends that might be able to track him down.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Well google search is number one, then find a Facebook acct. and then try phonebooks. Unless you know a police office they can search drivers licenses.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
matt there are sites where you pay a couple bucks and you can get peoples information. pretty scary to say the least.

OR go the tow place and tell them you left your cell phone in his car. you have no other way to contact him besides driving to his house... ask them for his address. I doubt they will think its weird or funny. Tell them your good buddies with him but dont have his new address.

- pretty much every one now a days keeps all their numbers in their phones so no one really has phone books. So tell them you have no way of contacting him...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
matt there are sites where you pay a couple bucks and you can get peoples information. pretty scary to say the least.

OR go the tow place and tell them you left your cell phone in his car. you have no other way to contact him besides driving to his house... ask them for his address. I doubt they will think its weird or funny. Tell them your good buddies with him but dont have his new address.

- pretty much every one now a days keeps all their numbers in their phones so no one really has phone books. So tell them you have no way of contacting him...
No Dice.

I went to the impound lot after work (which was in the worst part of Baltimore City, i.e "The Wire") and the fat pregnant teen hooker thing behind the bullet proof glass wouldn't give me an address or even verify the correct spelling of his last name which I would have settled for.

It absolutely sucks that I have a "person of interest" and the cops won't even look at his record or address or anything. The cop that came to my house didn't even write down his name.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
yeah unfortunately the cops don't really care it seems. I had bikes stolen 10 years ago. Pretty funny story actually. The kids set fire to the local school and while they were making their getaway on foot they found our bikes (crappy but all we had for transportation) locked to the porch outside our apartment. They got busted eventually but had ditched the bikes before the cops had got them. Even though they openly admitted stealing the bikes but the cops said they couldn't do anything since they didn't have actual evidence.

long story short, don't count on the cops to help whatsoever.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
damn...

no luck on Facebook or myspace? as for the correct spelling of the kids name?

try 411 or the local towns phone book. tell them the persons name, and when they ask for the correct spelling say i dont know but I have the town he lives in... then they might ask if "blab blah blah" address sounds correct. write it down and look deeper into this all, drive by the house or what not.

sorry weird wacky ideas but it might work?

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
give it a bit of time if there was pics from the party put up on facebook hes bound to be in there somewhere and end up being tagged. You'll find him unless he lives under a rock and hasnt got a facebook account. Sorry to hear the bad news about your bike being stolen. Good luck with the search for it. Its pretty unique so that should be in your favor in tracking it down.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I went down to some of the shops in Arlington and Falls Church last night adn gave a few fliers out. Their on the lookout for anything resembling your bike. Ill try to get a few more tonight. Still haven't seen anything on CL or ebay so hopefully whoever has it is just waiting for it to blow over.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've tried searching FB with every possible spelling of his last name and haven't come up with anything. Even searched mutal friends and didn't find him, I don't think he's on FB.

I have "obtained" his cell phone number though... Not sure what to do with it though, it's a 202 area code which I'm pretty sure is for Falls Church.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Just an idea, do you think that he could know of this thread and be "blocking" you from finding him. Who really are your friends ya dig? He could have been tipped off

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I'm willing to help in any way. I know my way around the intrawebz pretty well and can usually dig up info on pretty much anyone. Shoot me a PM with name/number and I'll see what I can do. I just had a bike stolen right out of my garage and the cops wouldn't do a damn thing, so I know how frustrating it can be trying to find your stuff. I don't mind spending some hours tracking this a-hole down.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If I'm not mistaken, we actually have a monkey whose business it is to trace down people.

FYI, if you go to www.411.com and punch in his number under the category "reverse phone search", it will tell you his cell carrier and his general vacinity, city, etc.

There is also a public records search online that is very accurate. If he's paid taxes on anything, it will find him and his current address because they are public record.

Public tax records are a google search. You can only access them through the information companies that pay the courthouse for real time data.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Finding out who the guy is is one thing, but you really need to focus on gathering evidence and be careful and discrete.

It can seem obvious and clear that he did it, and even may be so visiible as to have the bike. You need to be able to prove by some means that its yours, and also that it was removed without permission.

Burden of proof is a huge problem without eyewitnesses (plural) so its not surprising the cops are ill motivated to assist.

Good luck, **** a thief, and if you do get that bast'd, be sure to let us know and revel in it!!!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Still confused why rommates don't have more info on this guy or won't give you the info......

Sounds like it is time for new roommates.

This guy is only a "person of interest" at this point....still think about other culprits.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
If I'm not mistaken, we actually have a monkey whose business it is to trace down people.

FYI, if you go to www.411.com and punch in his number under the category "reverse phone search", it will tell you his cell carrier and his general vacinity, city, etc.

There is also a public records search online that is very accurate. If he's paid taxes on anything, it will find him and his current address because they are public record.

Public tax records are a google search. You can only access them through the information companies that pay the courthouse for real time data.
I did that using a similar service and it gave me the provider and a general area in VA. It says if I pay 9.95 it will give me name, address etc. I think I'm going to do that later today.

Finding out who the guy is is one thing, but you really need to focus on gathering evidence and be careful and discrete.

It can seem obvious and clear that he did it, and even may be so visiible as to have the bike. You need to be able to prove by some means that its yours, and also that it was removed without permission.

Burden of proof is a huge problem without eyewitnesses (plural) so its not surprising the cops are ill motivated to assist.

Good luck, **** a thief, and if you do get that bast'd, be sure to let us know and revel in it!!!
Trust me, I'm not going to just show up to his place with torches and pitch forks. I already have a couple friends involved that are in law enforcement and will accompany me should I get enough evidence to pursue this further.

Still confused why rommates don't have more info on this guy or won't give you the info......

Sounds like it is time for new roommates.

This guy is only a "person of interest" at this point....still think about other culprits.
One roommate knows the guy about as well as I do. The other is friends with him but they only see eachother once or twice a year. And I'm sure he does have more info on him but I don't want to ask because I wouldn't want him to get tipped off in any way. The roommate who is "friends" with him is a good guy and I honestly think he would help me find my bike but but I'd rather not risk him accidentally tipping him off. And at this point I don't think he knows anymore info than I do. The suspect just moved back to the area from Colorado and I doubt he knows his new address.

I know there are other possible culprits but I really feel like it was either this guy or a random theft. If it were stolen during the party I would have a lot of suspects but the fact that it was stolen the next morning and during a very narrow timeframe 9-10am limits the list of possible culprits from the party. Most of my friends were from out of town and had no reason to be close to my house the next morning but this guy was the only one that I can say for certain was within 7 miles(impound lot) of my house during the 9-10 timeframe. He also drives a truck, and knew exactly where the alley that leads to my backyard starts. He also commented about the bike to one of my friends the night before and was most likely really pissed off about having to pay 350+ dollars to get his car out of impound.

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
the question still begs.... why was a dude like this at your party to begin with? I like my parties as bangin as the next guy; but if multiple people who I know can't vouch for you, you don't get in the fvckin door.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
the question still begs.... why was a dude like this at your party to begin with? I like my parties as bangin as the next guy; but if multiple people who I know can't vouch for you, you don't get in the fvckin door.
He has been over our place before so I didn't think it was a problem. My roommate has also lived in the house for 6 years so I'm not quite established enough to start telling him his friends can't come in the house.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
i like bang parties too
;) :thumb:

He has been over our place before so I didn't think it was a problem. My roommate has also lived in the house for 6 years so I'm not quite established enough to start telling him his friends can't come in the house.
gotcha. sucks man. like i said before, both our shop here in columbia and our one in b-more have our eyes open for ya.