Quantcast

State of the Union: trailbikes for real men.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Short travel downhill bikes with full length un-interrupted 19-inch seat tubes, relatively steep seat tubes, front der., not too slack head angle(~67), relatively high standover, 14-ish bb height, lightish frame.

What's out there? Basically, I want a SX trail that I can actually put the seat up and take out on XC rides.

There's lots of bikes that are close, but no cigar.

Most 'slopestyle' bikes like bottlerocket, sx trail, etc. don't cut the mustard because the standover is too low to get xc seat height without a 600mm seatpost.

Most 'heavy trailbike' bikes don't cut the mustard because they lean towards the xc side geometry-wise and I wouldn't trust them on anything remotely big.

I used to really dig my AS-X until I had to sell it. The asr-7 is looking intriguing but expensive. I know kanter has a socom with a front der. which is just the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Blur 4X. Only thing is it's a bit lower travel (4.5") but it can handle a 6" fork, and IIRC you can run a longer stroke shock without issue to get some more travel out of it. Uninterrupted 17" seat tube is enough for me lanky 6' frame, and the Large has a nice TT length so with a short stem I'm not super cramped. BB is low, HA is 67, FD compatible. Tire clearance sucks though, that's one thing that's pretty annoying about this frame (can't really run DH tires I don't think, unless they're Maxxis 2.35" status width). Still the best thing out there I've run.

Tdubb

Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Have you looked at the Diamondback Mission? HA is 68 and frame is just over 7 lbs.My new build should be around 32 lbs. with Hammerschmits and a heavier AM wheelset.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Blur 4X. Only thing is it's a bit lower travel (4.5") but it can handle a 6" fork, and IIRC you can run a longer stroke shock without issue to get some more travel out of it. Uninterrupted 17" seat tube is enough for me lanky 6' frame, and the Large has a nice TT length so with a short stem I'm not super cramped. BB is low, HA is 67, FD compatible. Tire clearance sucks though, that's one thing that's pretty annoying about this frame (can't really run DH tires I don't think, unless they're Maxxis 2.35" status width). Still the best thing out there I've run.
I looked into those. 17 inch seat tube ain't gonna do it. 19 was barely enough on my as-x. Why didn't they make a third size?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I looked into those. 17 inch seat tube ain't gonna do it. 19 was barely enough on my as-x. Why didn't they make a third size?
How tall are you man? I have a pretty big inseam (34") and even with a 367mm post I can get proper extension.

What about a Morewood Mbuzi? Single pivot, 6.3" of travel, uninterrupted seat tube (large has a 19"). HA is 67.5 with a 70 degree SA...looks pretty good on paper.

EDIT: Banshee Spitfire, Commencal Meta 66, or the new Evil might be good too. Possibly the Trek Remedy?

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Even a regular Reign sounds close to what you want. A friend of mine had his set up with a 50mm stem, 30' bars (with a chainguide) and it was a ripper.

After that, another vote for the Reign X, but the seat tube isn't completely un-interupted. The one in the photo you used probably weighs 31lbs.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Short travel downhill bikes with full length un-interrupted 19-inch seat tubes, relatively steep seat tubes, front der., not too slack head angle(~67), relatively high standover, 14-ish bb height, lightish frame.
nomad2 with a 17O DH lyrik.

i'm riding a size L and have plenty of seat post extension for my 6' 3" of trailriding gnarliness.

has one of the stiffer chassis / rear triangles out there in the lightish frame weight category.

6,000 v ft climbs and techy descents....effortless. well, sort of. :D

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I think the Cannondale Moto would be an option. Full length seat tube, 67.5 head angle and 14.3 bottom bracket.
You might be onto something, young man. These things look real nice. Not sure I'm digging this new single pivot with 15 extra links to make some tiny change to the shock rate trend. It's all fun and games until you have to replace $300 worth of bearings.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
How tall are you man? I have a pretty big inseam (34") and even with a 367mm post I can get proper extension.

What about a Morewood Mbuzi? Single pivot, 6.3" of travel, uninterrupted seat tube (large has a 19"). HA is 67.5 with a 70 degree SA...looks pretty good on paper.

EDIT: Banshee Spitfire, Commencal 55, or the new Evil might be good too. Specialized Enduro? Trek Remedy?
I'm 6'2". edit: and it's all leg ;)

Looked into the mbuzi as well, looks like a good, solid machine to get the job done.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
My large Intense SS is tall enough to ride XC with a long Thomson post. I'm 6'1".
It's pushing it though.
The Socom and the SS share lots of parts (I think they use the exact same tubeset)

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Another vote for the Reign 0, I've got one and I'm loving it. Loves the steep and pretty light to (~12.5kg) and I haven't got tubeless tires on it yet. Definitely confidence inspiring.

On a side note I've test ridden the Canondale Moto and it was one nice machine. Rode similar to the Reign in that I didn't feel like it was going to crumple under me at speed - but felt way lighter than the reign.

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
I've heard mixed reviews of the nomad's descending prowess. I'd like to give one a try. It could be a contender.
Nomad, reign, uzzi, enduro are all going to be fine decending on trail rides. Hell they are fine for lift riding. No bike thats going to work decent for a trail bike is going to descend like a dh bike. Were talking about trail bikes right?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I've heard mixed reviews of the nomad's descending prowess. I'd like to give one a try. It could be a contender.
not all shocks seem to work well on the nomad, and you do have to play around with the settings, but i got mine dialled in last summer to my satisfaction. and i've ridden a few bikes in this category.

some positives of the nomad: the actual BB height is as low, or lower, than the mfg spec sheet (i'm sick of buying bikes where the BB always ends up higher than claimed). the 1.5 HT gives all kinds of options. the bushings, bearings and linkages are stout & built with long term usage in mind (think Turner).

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I replaced my AS-X with a Reign X in 07. At the time it had to serve trail riding and DH lift served duties. The Reign X makes a far better mini-DH bike in my opinion, it has a long wheelbase and low bottom bracket versus the short and tall AS-X. It corners and maintains stability at high speed a hell of a lot better. It doesn't have nearly as much pedal feedback - especially seated in granny gear. The rear end is stiffer - my AS-X was a wet noodle in back. I was soooo happy to see that frame go bye bye.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
I think the suspension components will make a huge difference on how the bike will descend. My compromise was to take a 6" trail bike with relatively neutral angles and outfit it with a RC4 in the back and a 36 Vanilla in the front. 31.5 lbs and it rocks the downs and ups. I'm 6.1 and find the large Rocky SXC fits great. I can get full extension and great "slammage" of the saddle.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
I'm 6'3" looking for the same thing. For me it's either gunna be a Banshee Spitfire or the new Cove G-Spot. Currently run a Giant Reign and it aint working out. Angles are bunk for a dhr's trail shredder imo.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
all the people who had a ride on it, where raving about the Specialized Pitch! i did only a short parking lot test and can't say wheter it's good or not, i liked it for the 10 min i rode it.
and it's rather cheap and loooks better than the enduro IMHO.

Last edited:

TrailzHozer

Monkey
Jan 29, 2010

What's out there? Basically, I want a SX trail that I can actually put the seat up and take out on XC rides.

There's lots of bikes that are close, but no cigar.

Most 'slopestyle' bikes like bottlerocket, sx trail, etc. don't cut the mustard because the standover is too low to get xc seat height without a 600mm seatpost.

Most 'heavy trailbike' bikes don't cut the mustard because they lean towards the xc side geometry-wise and I wouldn't trust them on anything remotely big.

I used to really dig my AS-X until I had to sell it. The asr-7 is looking intriguing but expensive. I know kanter has a socom with a front der. which is just the kind of thing I'm talking about.
how come I get the impression you've been starting threads like this every 6 months ;)

you want a bike with 67 degree HA, but say most heavy trail bike have XC geometry?

I think you're confused son...

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Banshee Rune: I rode Snowshoe and many xc trails on mine and it was brilliant everywhere.

2010 Cove G-Spot looks pretty nice so far

2010 Knolly Delirium is going to be sweet too.

They all fit the bill geometry wise as well

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
The Trek Remedy built up right is a great do it all bike... I had one in 2008 after a bad crash that put me out for the season to rehab on. It climbed great and you didn't have to hold back on the DH runs ether. Mine was about 29lbs with All Mt wheels and tires on it, then had another set of DH wheels with DH tires to throw on it when needed. Put it around 31lbs.

Good luck,

Cecil:thumb: