Quantcast

Sram/Rockshox = Awesome

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I know much has been said about Sram's excellent warranty service, but it bears repeating due to the fact that more people tend to complain about companies online than praise them. Here's my latest experience with them:

• Tuesday 3/30: I call my LBS, Allspeed, and have them set up some service on 2 of my forks: a 2010 Boxxer WC and an 08 Totem Solo Air. Both had some minor seal issues and needed a little TLC after being ridden hard over the previous season(s). We boxed up the forks and sent them via UPS ground from Maine to IL (a three day ship).
  • Friday 4/2: Forks arrive at Sram in Chicago
  • Friday 4/9: Totem is back at the shop with new seals, a new Motion Control Assembly, new air spring assembly, and an oil change. Total cost: $0. Although it was a 2+ year old fork, they covered it under 'Warranty'.
  • Monday 4/12: Boxxer is back at the shop with new seals, new rebound damper, all new decals, and an oil change. Total cost: $0; all covered under warranty.

Summary: Take out the 6 business days lost to shipping, and the Totem was turned around in 2 business days; the Boxxer took a whopping 3 business days. They swapped out almost all the internals on the Totem and a bunch of stuff on the Boxxer, and they didn't charge a dime for any of the parts or labor.

Huge thanks and thumbs up to the guys/gals at Rock Shox. You've definitely earned my repeat business!

--JP

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
This is a big part of why I am changing my bikes suspension from Fox to Rock Shox, customer service does matter.
Oh, and they make great performing products as well.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
good story and CS experience; glad to see they are willing to really help out a rider in need.

however, I can't shake the notion that you may have had your personal items (one of which happened to be 2+ yrs old) covered under "warranty" for $0 cost because of your standing in the bike industry.
knowwhatimean? :)
for some reason I have a feeling that if I were to send my +/-3 yr-old fork to be serviced, it wouldn't be free ;)

Heres my feel good story.
In feb i went to sedona with a new RS team air revelation fork and after the
2nd day the uturn crapped out and fork was no go. And i have 2 more days.
Go to local shop fri afternoon and he calls sram albeit no time to get me parts.
Sram pays shop to let me borrow a new lyrik for remainder of trip.Yay.

I get back home and they send me new fork. Yay.

And they send me a set of Elixer CR's and rotors for my hassle.Yay.:eek:

I know it sucks that the forks are prone to issues after they leave the factory but you gotta admit that SRAM doesn't try to duck this stuff at all and thats the difference

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'll take this opportunity to throw in another dose of praise for Malcom at Cane
Creek. That guy friggin' rules with his customer service.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Rockshox has without question one of the best CS hands down, fast prompt make sure all is good and taken care of... I have had a couple of dealings with them over the last 2 years and both times I came away feeling better about their product and company.

I will leave praise for the other guys another time as this is for RS but the other one has treated me stellar as well.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Growing up I always used shimano. As time goes by I find more and more sram stuff working its way onto my bike. I still love my fox suspension, but wouldnt trade my sram/avid products for much else.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
good story and CS experience; glad to see they are willing to really help out a rider in need.

however, I can't shake the notion that you may have had your personal items (one of which happened to be 2+ yrs old) covered under "warranty" for $0 cost because of your standing in the bike industry.
for some reason I have a feeling that if I were to send my +/-3 yr-old fork to be serviced, it wouldn't be free ;)
Apple...meet....Orange?

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
It's been hit or miss with those guys for me.
Customer service for shop customers has been great,but they told me no warranty on my severely leaky 8 month old Codes,and I just recently sent in my Revelation with cracked lowers,an odd clunk and a good amount of stiction and it came back with new lowers,which was awesome but the other problems are still there.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
I recently had the same experience. Bought a 2010 Demo 8 i with the race on the front. Road the **** out of it since october and started to have some issues. Took it to my LBS, they couldnt figure out where the noises were coming from. They called RS, RS said send it back. A week later i get a new fork.

They care about their product and have a quick turn around. That means they will continue to get my business.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I've been on a Lyrik Air for a while now with no problems. Just got a Totem coil and it has the same feel to it, but really really smooth. Got a Boxxer Team on the way.

You can say that I am a fan of Rock Shox. (Well, Mission Control at least. Could never get the Motion Control Pike I had to feel right.)

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO

Fair assessment, but I forgot to mention that I just sent the stuff through my LBS annonymously. They had no idea it was me, and honestly, it's been so long since I've been publicly associated with the bike industry that they probably wouldn't have any idea who I am anyway (. . . hell, even in my heyday with evil/e13, they probably wouldn't know me from anyone else).

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
i had a great "warranty" service from RS also, my vivid was just over 1.5yrs old and started feeling clunky, had a local shop rebuild it, they noticed the eyelet was loose, lock tited it, while rebuilding it, then after a few rides the eyelet came loose again. I took it back to the shop, they called RS and got a new shock in the mail, no charge. If I had realized RS would have prolly just given me a new shock, I would have gone that way instead of paying for it to be rebuilt, but I feel good about trying not to abuse RS's awesome CS. Good job Rock Shox.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Here is another feel good story:

Coworker buys closeout session 88 FR.

Goes to ride it today (first ride)

We pull it off car.

We lay it down on the ground

I go to pick it up to play with it

notice a big pool of oil sitting under the damper side

Damper is blown without even riding it. Literally a dripping oil.

I am still a huge bandwagon man when it comes to rs/sram cs, because I have absolutely no doubt that they'll take care of it quickly and efficiently, but I do wish the stuff worked out of the box, without a large amount of extra work involved.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
you need to learn to quit trying to tune youe stuff! LOL

Hows SB??? Man you need to post some pics for us transplants who cant access it anytime soon!!!!
I work at a shop now, its everyone else's tuning attempts!:rofl:

Santa Barbara is paradise, but you already know this. Tunnel looks crispy as f**k after the fire, but at least some weeds are growing back. Knapps is littered with sweet jumps lines now. The xc is great, the DH is better, and I usually want to ride more than take pics:p

Attachments

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
i recently had really good service too. the swivel valve on my monarch was loose and losing air, 5 business days later i had a new shock :thumb: i had no warranty info so there was a $25 fee :rant::p

hell of a lot better service then back in the late 90s, having to wait a month to get a super deluxe fixed

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
We've always had great service from Sram. Both as a rider and as a shop.

On the other hand, we can't get one of the other big name suspension companies to call us back or answer the phone at all(and no it's not Manitou). Very frustrating when someone has cash in hand and wants to order a fork and they won't help.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I work at a shop now, its everyone else's tuning attempts!:rofl:

Santa Barbara is paradise, but you already know this. Tunnel looks crispy as f**k after the fire, but at least some weeds are growing back. Knapps is littered with sweet jumps lines now. The xc is great, the DH is better, and I usually want to ride more than take pics:p
You realize that pic makes me hate you for living there and me being Fn stuck in here!;)
Yeah the DH is pretty amazing there I love that area, Ill be back shortly even if I have to get my own place somewhere down there and the wife can visit. I am done with POdunk towns!

We'll have to ride when I get back, Ill take you over to Idylwyld theres some nasty rock chutes and drops in a pretty fast area thats a blast. Bobby showed it to me last time....

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
I sent off my forks last tuesday (MY10 Races) due to clunking, came back yesterday with a full new rebound damper and some new lowers, no charges whatsoever, yay

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
i recently had really good service too. the swivel valve on my monarch was loose and losing air, 5 business days later i had a new shock :thumb: i had no warranty info so there was a $25 fee :rant::p

hell of a lot better service then back in the late 90s, having to wait a month to get a super deluxe fixed
Super deluxe? Oh, wait you mean that really expensive bottle of chain lube they strapped to everybody's frames for a while.:D

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
Not to highjack, but I have a 2010 66 RC3. I had an issue with it from day one. It either felt like crap or I couldnt get full travel. They worked with me over the phone 3 or 4 times trying to get it tuned. So I was riding southern rocks at windrock and heard a "tink" in the damper leg. Something set in the fork and it felt perfect. I called Marzocchi told them what happened and mentioned that there was a lite oil leak and the compression knob was binding a bit. They didnt even have to take the fork back but dude insisted and viola, I have a rebuilt non leaking 66 that feels perfect in about a week. Out standing customer service!

P.S. I dont think the problem I had with my fork is normal. The 2010 66 and 888's are living up to the hype!

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Similar story for me, I got the new MY10 Teams very soon after they were released and have had intermittent issues but I just got a phone call that they'll be sending me a new fork. And I'm no industry insider, so it's not only people like John P who get treatment like that (I am working through a top bike shop though, so whatever).

RS Confidence is at 150% right now

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Not to highjack, but I have a 2010 66 RC3. I had an issue with it from day one. It either felt like crap or I couldnt get full travel. They worked with me over the phone 3 or 4 times trying to get it tuned. So I was riding southern rocks at windrock and heard a "tink" in the damper leg. Something set in the fork and it felt perfect. I called Marzocchi told them what happened and mentioned that there was a lite oil leak and the compression knob was binding a bit. They didnt even have to take the fork back but dude insisted and viola, I have a rebuilt non leaking 66 that feels perfect in about a week. Out standing customer service!

P.S. I dont think the problem I had with my fork is normal. The 2010 66 and 888's are living up to the hype!
If all bike companies would Windrock proof their components to last a minimum of one full season there, no one would ever ask for a warranty again.