Quantcast

Spend summer in Morzine-Les Gets

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
Hi,
I'm finishing university on April, so i was planning to spend the Summer in Port du Soleil.
The idea is to learn French and English, going to work in a bike shop or somewhere else.
I was wondering if someone who already did it, or live there, could help me telling where i could ask for a job.
I'm not looking for a big wage...maybe a bed...but i'm mostly looking to improve english and learn some words in French, and obviusly can ride there when free.

If you have any suggestions, i will be really thankfull!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Wow, your English is very good, props. Anyway, can't help you on any of the stuff you wanted help with though, good luck.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
There are a few bike shops here.
How handy are you with tools?
Are you looking for work as a mechanic or in sales?
Your English seems pretty good, so that's a plus already.

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
I'm not a pro mechanic, but i know how to get hands on a bike (I broke a lot of pieces on my bike, so i had to learn how to fix them).
So I never worked in a shop as a mechanic, but fixed lot of bikes at home.
I can also help with the sales if needed:i speak italian, english is ok, and want to learn french.

bikerfreak47

Chimp
Nov 15, 2005
belgium
Hi, I spend a lot of time there during summer and winter and all i can tell you is, there are not many bikeshops and most of the jobs are taken by the English guys who stay there during the summer. I think if you wanna work there, it's better as a waiter in a restaurant or in a bar. Anyway, Morzine is bigger then Les Gets, but that's not all, there's Chatel, Montriond, Morgins, Les Crozets, Champéry (really cool town and well known by Americans). The Portes is a really big area and everything is connected, but the nightlife is best in Morzine, trust me;-):cheers:
I think you better first go there and then you decide.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
If you want to ride as much as possible then I think washing dishes from 5 to 11pm is the best bike bum job. Most of the dish technician jobs in Champery pay 20+ francs per hour where the bike shop barely pays 20 and you have to work during the day. The bike shop jobs are usually taken by locals years in advance. It is better to come for a couple days in the winter to find a job and then come back for the summer season. Sometimes the Tourist Offices have lists of local jobs.

Good luck and by the way there is little to no night life in Champery/Morgins in the summer.