Quantcast

specialized status 1,kona operator/entorage which one?

mxracer458

Chimp
Dec 8, 2011
i posted this in the freeride section but its pretty slow over there,ive been looking and looking at all tons of bikes,I think ive made my mind up on these two bikes,ive always been a fan of specialized and owned the fsr last time i rode 10+ years ago,i also like the kona operator/entorage,I like the specialized because of the seat post angle,where i can still pedal it on rides with my wife but still has tons of travel to ride with my boys,the drawback i here is the xfusion shock/fork set up,can anyone give me some info on this stuff?i like kona and rode one around in the parking lot and its really nice,but im not sure how that domain front fork is,im looking for a 7+in bike with a single crown fork,id love to find a good bike with fox suspension,or even the bomber/rocco set up but with my 2500 budget i dont think that will happen.thanks guys for the info

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I have not heard anything negative about the Xfusion stuff. I have contemplated getting their stuff on my bikes to replace old components.

If you are wanting better components, then look around at a bike that is 2 years old or so. You can find find some bikes that look like they have not hardly even been ridden.

-Brett

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
The X-fusion suspention is pretty darn good stuff.

that said, I own an Operator. I work at a shop that sells Kona and they wanted one in the area. I had a few options to pick from at work (Glory, Operator, pre release DH300, and the Gambler) but with some hesitation went for the operator based on the price they gave me. I did not choose wrong. I have ridden all of those Bikes since this season and i would not trade it in for any of them. I went with the base DH model with the intention of upgrade but I never found i needed any save an avalanche cart for the boxxer this winter. The bike is stable as hell and has a great balance of Play Vs. Plow.

A friend of mine went glory. We traded off a few times one day at the park. He was impressed and like many (and myself before hand) he had a soiled impression of Kona.

Fast forward, I built up the base Entourage the other day. Without riding it I can tell you although it might not have the big bike feel of the op (the op is a friggin mile long) you'll be able to do EVERYTHING on it. Also the Domain is the most capable entry level long travel fork ever produced.

As far as the Spec goes I haven't ridden one. however im sure its a solid riding bike

mxracer458

Chimp
Dec 8, 2011
thanks for the insight,both bikes looks great with sleek lines,plenty of travel to play around but yet somthing i could still ride with the wife,i was told by someone at a local shop about the xfusion,glad i got another opinion on that.I wont be bombing down hugs drops or gaps,more or less i just like to go fast on the trails.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I personally love transition if you would want to look into one of theres

But the two you have listed I would go with the Specialized. The Status is a new old bike. By that i mean it is a new design but is replacing the old big hits. I had a Big Hit Spec back in the day. I wasn't near the rider I am now, but I can easily say the bike held up, wasnt bad on climbs as i rode AM with it and had a decent amount of travel. The Status is just like the older Specs, but with a more moderized approach. I would go the status

Then you have the Kona. The new operator is awesome! I dont have much background on the Entrouge. But I can say Kona is stepping up there game for 2011-2012 I have noticed. The newer Konas really seem like a third cousin from the older konas. The new ones look way better and have a much more modernized components and a better geometry than the older ones. But it is still a kona! By that I mean, i have seen more than few new operators with the same problem as the old stinkys

mxracer458

Chimp
Dec 8, 2011
i was looking used at the transitions,i just hate to drop that kind of money on somthing used,i would rather buy new if i can.

Carcinogen

Chimp
May 5, 2011
Seattle
I would be cautious of the X-fusion... I managed to blow the shock that came with my Bighit the first season(just anecdotal though, so take it for what its worth).