Quantcast

Spacing Elixir calipers

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Anyone have a good technique for pushing elixir calipers back into place after some jackass squeezed the lever while I had the wheel off the bike.

Used the little pad spacer (how cool is the bottle opener on that thing!!!) and the bleed block but I still have some rubbing.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
popping the pads out and a getting in there with a gian flathead screwdriver always works for me. Not an endorsed technique so make sure you dont gouge the hell out of the pistons.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
That's what I was worried about.

On my Juicy's I just use a box wrench to push on the little post in the middle of the piston, but there is no good place to press on the elixir.

Anyone else successfully used the Flathead method without damaging the piston?

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
On my Juicy's I just use a box wrench to push on the little post in the middle of the piston, but there is no good place to press on the elixir.
That's a horrible idea. I would never recommend pushing on the post itself.

Not sure about the Elixirs, cause I've never worked on them. But on Hayes brakes I use the ball end of a small allen wrench, and carefully push down around the piston post until the piston was all the way back in. It's never once damaged the piston, and I've never bent the post while doing this.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
box end of a wrench is what they recommend, but a large flat bladed screwdriver works with or without the pads in. its easier with the pads in and using a screwdriver

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Its probably worthwhile keeping worn out pads for this purpose. Use a flat bladed screwdriver on other wise useless pads at will.