Quantcast

Sorry Guys, another body suit vs core saver thread

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
I know, I know, another body suit thread. But did a search and could not find anything.

So, I absolutley hate my Fox body suit, bulky, and restricts movemet, makes riding miserable. So is the 661 Pro pressure suit actually everything the discriptions say is it. Lighter, and does not restrict movement.

Or is something like a core saver or a 661 race jacket paired with my own elbow guards better.

Like I said, sorry guys, just need a little help.

Thank,

Austin

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I've never actually used a pressure suit type unit. Just a rockgardn trailstar and fox launch elbow guards. I could tell that I would like the more open feel of that combo better, especially in July and August. I guess the pressure suit looks fairly well ventilated but all that mesh seems like it would be annoying. I guess the kidney belt is an advantage but I feel like I'm not as concerned about smacking that part of my body on stuff since usually it's the extremities that make contact first.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My opinion is to get both a good set of elbows and a full on suit. There are days and trails that I want full protection without worrying about injury. I'd actually prefer a full length (head to toe) if I had the option, but I don't have the cash and cannot find a full dainese. Back to the point, a full suit offers so much protection, they're great to have around. Plus, the elbow pads are almost guaranteed not to move around. A full suit will be slightly more restrictive, I definitely don't have full range of motion with my dainese, but at the same time, I don't need to do jumping jacks on the bike. I can perform any necessary motion with it on, so I'm happy. For hot days, I drop the suit and just rock elbow pads. The difference in ventillation is impressive. I don't think any suit will ventilate very well, so for me it's all or none.

YMMV. I wouldn't rock only elbow pads at a race or at spooky places with high risk. If you're a more talented rider, a core saver may offer you "emergency" protection without the bulkiness of a full suit, but I think most people would benefit from the full getup with the option of going solo on light duty rides.

For what it's worth, my friend has a fox suit and the difference between it and my dainese is certainly significant. His looks like it's made out of solid cotton or lycra with solid plastic caps (the black and red one). Mine is all kind of aerated and caps are perforated...you can tell a major concern was ventilation. He doesn't complain much about heat though.

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
I just hate the shoulder areas of my Fox, it feels like a snake is squeezing my shoulders in. So it turely makes riding miserable, and in turn, makes me not want to wear it.

I just want to know is the pro pressure actually that much better then what I have.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a friend who has a PP suit. He likes it, though I think he said his was a little baggy. He is like 6'5" and massive, though, so he probably has the biggest size. I don't think he was super pleased with it, but I don't think he hated it either. It's definitely an upgrade, how much I don't know. There is another thread asking a very similar question not too long ago, the guy found a dainese core saver that looked like everything minus the elbow pads. If I didn't have mine, I'd go that route.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Haven't used the pro pressure suit for any real length of time, but it seems better than the regular pressure suit from trying it on and talking to others who have them. I had one of the regular ones and hated it. Elbow pads seemed angled wrong, kidney belt would migrate up to my chest and the enormous shoulder pads restriced movement.

I am not sure I'd be happy with any full suit (never tried one that didn't annoy me) so I bought a Rockgardn Trailstar last season and cut off the shoulder pads. It's basically a minimalist core saver. Comes off easy, ventilates well, doesn't move and provides enough protection to make me feel a bit more secure. Something like the Core Saver Vest would be similar, I imagine. It's not a bad way to go. It's not hard to find a nice set of elbow pads if you want them.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
I'm getting back into racing this season and just purchased the 661 pro pressure suit, and I'm very impressed with it. The pads are very low profile and it is quite comfortable. The whole thing with restricting movement is really kind of bogus. How much does your upper body even move while riding? From my experience not a whole lot. You hold the bars, sit/stand, and move a bit side to side, and for aft. I have yet to use a body armor suit that actually restricts movement to where it is a problem. Yes the body armor suits are restricting in the sense that there is something wrapped around you relatively tight, but certainly nothing that would actually restrict your limbs from moving. Personally when I am actually on the bike I pretty much have forgotten about the body armor. When your sitting on the lift you notice it a bit, but when you really riding I feel like that is the last thing that comes to mind. I think what wearing upper body armor really comes down to is comfort vs. protection. It is definitely more comfortable not to wear one, no doubt about it, it is cooler, and you have less layers on. I really don't think it actually restricts movement personally, and for me, I value the protection over basic comfort. I see it similar to your riding shoes. Loosely laced shoes are more comfortable then tight laced bike shoes, but the tight laced bike shoes provide more protection, and in many cases more performance. Just my thoughts.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Cody Warren has run a chest protector for ever. I don't see to many people using them for DH. I use one on my MX bike.

For DH, I use a Rockgardn flak jacket. If has good protection and isn't restrictive. I take the elbow guards off if it's hot and I don't need as much protection.

That said, I think that DH requires more padding than moto since you are far more likey to yardsale crash riding DH than MX. Not sure why. Anyway, there are typically more rocks and trees, as well as pointy objects on the bicycle to deal with than an MX bike.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Has anyone tried the Pro Pressure suit with a Leatt? I'm in the same boat, I hate my fox launch armor and am looking at a full jacket or just a core saver.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
MX chest protectors are generally meant for catching roost, rather than protecting against rocks and trees and padding impact. The plastic of a chest protector does a very good job at dispersing a load (like a kevlar vest) and being very lightweight. While that doesn't necessarily translate to good pedal-bike protection, I have ridden with one and it did protect me from certain elements, YMMV.

Moral of the story, don't take a knife to a gunfight, don't take leather assless chaps to a 40mph yardsale into rocks and trees.

Also, stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life.