Quantcast

Socom?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
but who later complain about how stupidly heavy it was? most ppl got it coz it looked cool.... i am sure even more ppl would have got it if it was lighter. which is doable too, its just too overbuilt.
I agree with you the Nomad is a bit off the mark........even though they've sold millions of them.....it just seems like too much bike for the given geometry....

Most people i see riding them are just farting around on them.....they could fart around just as well on a 900$ entry level FS rig.....

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
but some stuff is really silly, whats with the nomad... who wants a 8lbs 6in travel bike man? esp when its marketed to trail riders.
I disagree. For a long travel trailbike the Nomad frame weight is right on the money. Why sacrafice frame strength on account of making some marketing guys happy. :monkey:

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
How is roughly 32lb for a decent build stupidly heavy? There aren't any frames in the same category that are significantly lighter. The Intense 6.6 is slightly heavier for example.
Maybe the Enduro SL in carbon... but probably you would have to buy cheap and heavy parts cause all the cash went for the frame. :shocked:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I agree with you the Nomad is a bit off the mark........even though they've sold millions of them.....it just seems like too much bike for the given geometry....

Most people i see riding them are just farting around on them.....they could fart around just as well on a 900$ entry level FS rig.....
Huh...Gotta ask where you live? I ride the amoral fvck outta mine: XC, Pisgah DH, and local FR...As for the geo, I happen to like a 14.2" BB and 67* HA for the kind of riding I do...Seems about right to me...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
its pretty much what ever sc do, intense do better.....

Another one swallows...

I will concede that intense makes lighter bikes model to model compared. Better? An opinion like that which I am replying to, but - hell no!

Socom is a sweet race rig - it is def a DH bike and not an FR rig; of course plenty FR their DH bikes, but thats not for me. I find all the conjecture about suspension paths and progressive or falling rate assertions hysterical, there's always some kind of ulterior motive or bias behind any of these assertions, and they rarely have any validity.

All of the bikes mentioned are fantastic, high performance rigs; preference plays a huge role here. I am an admitted 'SC Whore' - an attitude I developed due to their XL sizes which help when you're 6'8"/38" inseam. - and their rep is deserved.

I like to talk smack about intense, but I never make nonsensical assertions about them though!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I find all the conjecture about suspension paths and progressive or falling rate assertions hysterical, there's always some kind of ulterior motive or bias behind any of these assertions, and they rarely have any validity.
How many intense bikes have you ridden?

I've ridden all of them except for a spider and a socom with ample time to screw around with coils and suspension setups.

I've also spent some good time on blurs and vp frees and some marginal time on a nomad.

And yes they ramp very differently. Which is better for an individual is a subjective thing but the difference is there.

I like my intense bikes and rode the sc "counterparts" before I bought them.......but there's no way in hell I'd ride a socom as a dh or heavy abuse freeride bike.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Well youre right I was oversimplifying it. I meant that they are made to compete against each other, where as the socom is for a diffrent target buyer. If history is any indication, I wouldnt be suprised if SC does something to respond to the Socom. The rest of their lineups seem to be direct reactions to each other. Maybe thier plan to lighten the V10 will be enough.

M3 vs V10
Socom vs ?
Uzzi vs VP free
6.6 vs Nomad
5.5 vs Blur LT
Spider vs Blur
Tazer vs Blur 4X

I would like to see a VPF with slacker / lower DH geometry.

SC - bring on the 'VP-Down'!!!!!!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
How many intense bikes have you ridden?

I've ridden all of them except for a spider and a socom with ample time to screw around with coils and suspension setups.

I've also spent some good time on blurs and vp frees and some marginal time on a nomad.

And yes they ramp very differently. Which is better for an individual is a subjective thing but just because you can't tell a difference doesn't mean others can't.

I like my intense bikes and rode the sc "counterparts" before I bought them.......but there's no way in hell I'd ride a socom as a dh or heavy abuse freeride bike.
I have certainly not ridden every Intense frame, and what I have is issue because theydont make a bike big enough for my preference. I have tried 5.5, 6.6 and VPX of the latest runs, no ride time on an M3 at all - tried the old SLX and several iterations of M1's. They are impressive, as they should be, but comments like that I was responding too are too common and no warranted. In my experience the only notable was that model per comparable model, intense bikes are marginally lighter. With the exception of the V10/M3 the models, although apparently paralells, are ultimately purposed slightly differently. My allusion to suspension comments was derived from someone posting about the VPF 'Blowing through it's travel due to a regressive stroke/rate'............... n/c

I didnt try to qualify my preference as anything more than an opinion, but really am pretty tired of the auto-accepted intense hype; that isnt to say they arent some of the best bikes/frames, just that like some other brands, they are placed on a pedestal and with a wide stroke painted as superior - as if it is a given.

Yes, they're different!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They are impressive, as they should be, but comments like that I was responding too are too common and no warranted. In my experience the only notable was that model per comparable model, intense bikes are marginally lighter. !
There's more to it than that. And yeah I agree with the small issue with intenses......see my short guy post earlier.

Check this old thread out.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=159514&highlight=vpx+vpf+progressive

This guy danno and I kept in touch and I gave him some better measurements eventually. The curve he came up with was somewhere between the first and second of the vpx charts.

And for what it's worth......I'm far from alone in comparing these two frames and noticing a big difference in how they ride beyond geo and sizing.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
There's more to it than that. And yeah I agree with the small issue with intenses......see my short guy post earlier.

Check this old thread out.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=159514&highlight=vpx+vpf+progressive

This guy danno and I kept in touch and I gave him some better measurements eventually. The curve he came up with was somewhere between the first and second of the vpx charts.

And for what it's worth......I'm far from alone in comparing these two frames and noticing a big difference in how they ride beyond geo and sizing.
Im not sure where this is going, I am not dismissing one or the other, and concede they are different in feel, despite the superficial similarities. I am also not disputing the comment regarding the falling rate - just what it implies, as your comment in the thread you pointed out shows - "..if your shock is not set up properly." , as well as comments as to whether the rate/feel was preferable to some.The VPX, regardless, is not an option for me!!

My initial comment wasnt to compare brands, or put one or the other on top of each other, but a response to what I perceive as 'hype' and not reflective of the reality, but of opinions. These forums are exponentially more useful when intelligent and reasonable commentary is the majority versus opinion slinging and derision.

Some people state opinion as fact:

"This is better than that."

rather then the actuality which is

"I think/feel this is better than that" or "I like this better than that"

Not pandering to you but I can handle the former comment type from someone like yourself who clearly puts thought into your analyses and has relevant experience - it would be annoying, but at least you have a basis, versus random unqualified and obviously biased comments; Fortunately despite this - you remain objective in commentary.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Fortunately despite this - you remain objective in commentary.
That's because I'm the coolest guy in the entire history of forever.:D

Honestly though, what I was reacting to was what I thought had been you saying that the more falling rate claim was hype. If that's not what you meant then I apologize. I just can't count the number of times I've talked to people who have ridden a nomad and then dismiss the intense bikes saying they don't like vpp suspension because it wallows. I feel the same way and that's one of the BIG reasons I went with the intense incarnations. Different skinless cats in the execution of each company.

I do find it funny though that I own two intense bikes now when 4 years ago you couldn't have paid me enough to ride one based on all the m1 failures and subsequent warranty gripes over the years. My vpx frame is out of alignment enough that I have to run a washer one side of my hub to keep a properly dished wheel centered. How's that for hype?:D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well, I guess the apology joke is getting old...
Meh......I still think it (and by it I mean they) is funny.

Still doesn't change my '07 DHR lust tho...I wonder if it's still going to be super progressive? Anybody map the new frame yet?
Supposedly they're not changing anything as far as how the suspension works. Just some minor geo changes and the obvious benefit of being able to use a normal resevoir shock.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you can't tell the difference between the vp-free and the uzzi, then it's understandable that you'd think all the talk is just hype. Fact is, there are significant differences. (At least, "significant" to loser bike geeks like me.) But I agree that there is a lot of misinformation out there and that at the level we're discussing, it's a matter of opinion rather than absolute better or worse.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you can't tell the difference between the vp-free and the uzzi, then it's understandable that you'd think all the talk is just hype. Fact is, there are significant differences. (At least, "significant" to loser bike geeks like me.) But I agree that there is a lot of misinformation out there and that at the level we're discussing, it's a matter of opinion rather than absolute better or worse.
I agree that you should bring a hardtail up to our new spot in a few weeks.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Another one swallows...

I will concede that intense makes lighter bikes model to model compared. Better? An opinion like that which I am replying to, but - hell no!

Socom is a sweet race rig - it is def a DH bike and not an FR rig; of course plenty FR their DH bikes, but thats not for me. I find all the conjecture about suspension paths and progressive or falling rate assertions hysterical, there's always some kind of ulterior motive or bias behind any of these assertions, and they rarely have any validity.

All of the bikes mentioned are fantastic, high performance rigs; preference plays a huge role here. I am an admitted 'SC Whore' - an attitude I developed due to their XL sizes which help when you're 6'8"/38" inseam. - and their rep is deserved.

I like to talk smack about intense, but I never make nonsensical assertions about them though!
i used to be a sc whore, when i had my bullit, then got a vp and it changed my mind....

of course the nomad is a good bike, but like i said, 8lbs for a trail bike frame is rather heavy. and sc have the tech to make it strong and light... its just that the made it for a segment of riders that dont really exist... pretty much dh riders who ride trail.. hard... but then most who bought the bike are just trail riders. just saying its a pity... whats good can always be made better.... :)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
My vpx frame is out of alignment enough that I have to run a washer one side of my hub to keep a properly dished wheel centered. How's that for hype?:D
They are designed to corner left better, didn't you know.. :p

I bet intense will make a three letter acronym and advertise it as a feature soon!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I bet intense will make a three letter acronym and advertise it as a feature soon!
They had something screwed up with their jig. There were a few complaints on mtbr with people that had worse problems than mine. It's just tad too wide on the drive side. Mine was a really early run and I guess the new ones are fine.

Definitely took me a while to figure out why my brake just wouldn't get aligned with the pinched rear end.

I have no idea why those guys don't outsource their fabrication. SAPA, annodizing inc and giant all make great frames and have crews that put out WAY more frames than intense does.

They've treated me extremely well though. I would be out several thousands of dollars with no bike if it weren't for a very generous offer from them after a wierd situation I found myself in. I've never felt it necessary to make an issue out of it.......the "solution" is an easy one. Still kind of funny though.

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
Phil and Mike, just built bro's SOCOM. Shes right at 40 w/the brakes in the box sitting on the frame. (didnt have time to finish) also, its running Ringle/729's so its built for AngelFire. Its soo sick, damn. My first thoughts were that it could be dangerous in the right hands. Come on down and get it all salty.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO

They'll have a huge market for all those NASCAR fans out there.
Not everybody wants an ambi-turner...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Dude nice teaser, new spot looks like the goods.

My understanding is that SAPA bought Anodizing Inc. a while back. But your point illustrates one more reason Intense and SCB are different despite that same little sticker. Pros and cons both ways I guess eh?