Quantcast

Socom?

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
So, trying to decide on a new frame for the racing season, and one of my options. Anyone had a chance to ride one, and if so, which bike does it ride comparably to? Thanks.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
apparently it has the same geometry as the M3 so i'm guessing
it'll ride like a M3 except be lighter

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
The only thing that's really raising any questions in my head on the Socom, would be the head angle (66.5), rest of the geo looks good and I like the looks of the frame. This is why I'm looking to see if anyone has ridden it, and can identify a bike that it rides comparably to.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i guess it depens how much sag the bike is designed for, the v10 and m3 have steep static HA, but slacken out under sag.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
all my friends talk about how week socoms are, and just curious does any one actually know this? or is this just assume because its just to light. a guy i know who went to interbike test rode one and said it was the sickest thing he has ever ridden. thats really broad though, doesnt really answer your question

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It's still got a warranty. Everybody thought the FRO label means it's warranty-less but that's not the case. They derived the statement "it's weak" from the incorrect assumption that it's got no warranty.

Anyways, I've talked to a few guys that have them (never tested one though) and they all seem to like it. With moderate builds they're all about 40#.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
You cannot ride another sunday howsee! or an Orange!! And I didnt see you at Watkins today:plthumbsdown:
Yeah, I was at work making up for being out with the Flu on Wed.

I suppose to slack it out, I could run a stiff fork and soft rear end eh? :stupid: Thanks for the help guys!

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
the socom is a sweet ride, Got to check our buddies out at bootleg, rides sweet good BB height. The head angle was a little steep with a boxxer and the crowns all the way lowered.

If the head angle was steep you could run a taller headset to slacking it out a bit

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i saw one and the wheelbase looked reeeaallllly long, much longer than both the uzzi and 6.6 that were hanging right next to it.

brocelif

Chimp
Oct 28, 2006
I raced a v10 last year. I built up my Socom in early November and have ridden it in Denver and Bootleg. The Socom suspension feels like a v10 with less sag. It pedals noticeably better. The complete bike with identical parts weighs two pounds less. It is super easy to toss around. I am totally satisfied with the change from the v10, even though I loved that bike. I can't imagine a better race bike. And yes, there is a warranty.

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
I raced a v10 last year. I built up my Socom in early November and have ridden it in Denver and Bootleg. The Socom suspension feels like a v10 with less sag. It pedals noticeably better. The complete bike with identical parts weighs two pounds less. It is super easy to toss around. I am totally satisfied with the change from the v10, even though I loved that bike. I can't imagine a better race bike. And yes, there is a warranty.
This is the internet. Please refrain from making informed comments about bikes you actually own.

:P

Good to hear you like it. If I was building a new race bike, I think the SOCOM might be it.

But I'm not.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
and as strong as a noodle! :monkeydance:
well, if you use some simple logic, the closest bike to it is a vp free, and its pretty much weighs the same, vp free with axel and shox is 9.3lbs and the socoms are around 9. nothing wrong with it.

cant sc take the que and alter the geo of the vp free?:disgust:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yea, not that i am fan of vpp, anymore. but that bike has alot more potential in it.... starting with putting the shox mount on the right tube.

engel777

Chimp
Apr 11, 2006
Europe - IE, SK
well, if you use some simple logic, the closest bike to it is a vp free, and its pretty much weighs the same, vp free with axel and shox is 9.3lbs and the socoms are around 9. nothing wrong with it.

are you sure that VP free is only 9.3lbs????

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yupp, i weight it my self on a digi scale. it was a small size. pretty impressive when considering a 224 is around the same weight and travel.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado

The VP free and the UZZI VPX are virtual clones of one another, and are really freeride bikes, not downhill bikes. The Socom is something different altogether. Basically, the Socom will ride alot like the M3 in terms of geo, although they start with the same static bb according the intense. Due to the fact that the M3 has more travel and more sag, the Socom may ride a little higher. Mike, I will get some actual measurements for you when we build up rob's bike. It's a large, so wouldnt do that much good for test ride purposes though. And it was 9.7 pounds for a large with a steel spring.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
F.Y.I.---the M3, VPX and SOCOM all have the same (static) geometry. That VPX is pretty racey..

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
F.Y.I.---the M3, VPX and SOCOM all have the same (static) geometry. That VPX is pretty racey..
I should know, I race a VPX. The wheelbase is short, almost 2 inches shorter than the M3, and the head angle is fairly steep. The head angles may start at about the same, but 10 inches of travel versus 7.75 makes a big difference on HA and bb height. Cant complain though, got my best race results ever since I got that bike.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Not at all.

the vpx is shorter in the front AND rear, sits lower and the suspension systems work quite differently, despite the little sticker.
Well youre right I was oversimplifying it. I meant that they are made to compete against each other, where as the socom is for a diffrent target buyer. If history is any indication, I wouldnt be suprised if SC does something to respond to the Socom. The rest of their lineups seem to be direct reactions to each other. Maybe thier plan to lighten the V10 will be enough.

M3 vs V10
Socom vs ?
Uzzi vs VP free
6.6 vs Nomad
5.5 vs Blur LT
Spider vs Blur
Tazer vs Blur 4X

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
^^^i know they were ment as freeride bikes, sc didn't even get that part right. the free blows through its travel pretty bad. its actually regressive.

the lighter v10 is nice, but its still a big bike. lower weight is no subsitute for a snappier bike. i am just saying its a pity they dont change the free's geo slightly to suit dh more.

oh yea, the syndicate tested some shorter travel v10s during the race season too, and thats what peaty seems to be on this year, maybe 8in? its only using a 2.5in shox... from speculation tho.. not too sure...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
They are not made specifically to compete against each other, although that is an effect. They are both making bikes to fill all the narrow niches that exist in the market today, a market in which they both compete against each other and with a bunch of other companies.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They are not made specifically to compete against each other, although that is an effect. They are both making bikes to fill all the narrow niches that exist in the market today, a market in which they both compete against each other and with a bunch of other companies.
Intense makes bikes for short people like me that occasionally fvck up and hit flat landings really hard.

That's my overly simplistic view:D

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
its pretty much what ever sc do, intense do better....

but some stuff is really silly, whats with the nomad... who wants a 8lbs 6in travel bike man? esp when its marketed to trail riders.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
but who later complain about how stupidly heavy it was? most ppl got it coz it looked cool.... i am sure even more ppl would have got it if it was lighter. which is doable too, its just too overbuilt.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
but who later complain about how stupidly heavy it was? most ppl got it coz it looked cool.... i am sure even more ppl would have got it if it was lighter. which is doable too, its just too overbuilt.
How is roughly 32lb for a decent build stupidly heavy? There aren't any frames in the same category that are significantly lighter. The Intense 6.6 is slightly heavier for example.