Quantcast

Snapped off chain guide bolt in ISCG tab. Take to LBS or metal fab place?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Long story short : Sometimes I think I shouldn't be allowed to work on my own bikes. Snapped off one of the bolts putting my e.13 guide on my brand ****ing new TR450 tonight. Not psyched.

I was able to drill most of it out but some is still hanging in there. I was trying to preserve the threads if at all possible (probably not) so I didn't fully drill it out. I think I'm probably at the point where someone else should take over. I do have a pretty competent LBS (go-ride) but they are usually busy and scheduling a few days out. I'm trying to have the bike ready by Friday, hoping to make a trip to either Tahoe or Jackson this weekend.

I'm wondering if one of the many local metal fab places near me would be able to competently and quickly handle this. Would that be a stupid move?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Drilling it out probably wasn't a great call unless you were really careful to use a much smaller bit and go straight enough to not touch the threads. Since it's a through hole it should be pretty easy to get out with the right tools. Just drill a little hole through the middle of the bolt, throw an extractor in there and crank it all the way through the hole. Any machinist worth anything should be able to do it in about 10 minutes.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Drilling it out was sort of a frustrated last attempt this evening. The bolt extractor snapped off inside when I tried to use that to get it out.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're breaking that much ****, put the tools down and take it to someone who knows what they're doing. Should be an easy enough fix though.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Definitely not taken the wrong way, I'm at the point where I'm ready for it to be someone else's problem which was the point of the thread. Sounds like you're voting for a local metal fab place. I'll probably call around in the am.

I'm not usually this ham fisted, it's just been one of those nights.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
I had a bolt snap off and tried to take it out myself. I ended up calling Doc at SuperCo and had him fix it.
VM

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
The bolt extractor snapped off inside when I tried to use that to get it out.
This is not an unusual occurance with cheap bolt extractors - - especially the twisted-flute kind. Do yourself a favor: take the hardware store and Harbor Freight extractors you have and throw them away immediately; then go to an automotive jobber supply and buy a real set.

Really, people? Taking it to a machine shop or fabricator to extract a silly little bolt? I could see it if it was a blind hole in an engine block but this one is basic home-wrenching 101. Most ISCG tabs are through-holes. Yeah the extractor is broke off now; but you can probably still get at the back side, so drill in from there - - or get in there with your Dremel and a little bitty burr-bit and bore back 'til you get to the end of the extractor. Then drive it back out and give it a go with a good extractor.

At the very worst you'll end up with a buggered 6mm hole. Then tap it out for 1/4" (or even 8mm if the thought of non-metric on your bike wigs you out) and move on.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
can you get at the back side of the hole? are there threads showing there?

if so, spray some pb-catalyst on the broken bolt, then run a bolt thru the backside and push the broken busy out.

if you can't get at the backside of the hole, then get a better easy-out.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I was able to drill it out mostly from the back but it's not a dead center hole, it's off by just a bit. I couldn't thread a bolt in from the back, the threads didn't go all the way through. I called go-ride, they said thursday which might be cutting it close for me. F'ing bikes.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
can't tell if that's serious or not but I did consider it. it's the lower front hole, I think that one might take the most abuse.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
what is the worst that could happen? the guide slips and rotates a little bit?

just put a dab of loctite on the 2 other threads.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Or one little bump on the taco bends the other 2 tabs on a brand new frame. 3 bolts in a circle are reasonably strong. 2 bolts are super weak.
I'm no0t saying I wouldn't do it, but don't do with a taco. Use a real bash guard.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
if you were able to drill through the bolt hammer a torx bit into whats left of the bolt from the back and turn it clockwise it should just screw out if you drilled it correctly.

Id go with a good lbs, most of them are good with having to repair over enthusiastic home mechanics f@#k ups

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
use a bigger hammer

This is not an unusual occurance with cheap bolt extractors - - especially the twisted-flute kind. Do yourself a favor: take the hardware store and Harbor Freight extractors you have and throw them away immediately; then go to an automotive jobber supply and buy a real set.

Really, people? Taking it to a machine shop or fabricator to extract a silly little bolt? I could see it if it was a blind hole in an engine block but this one is basic home-wrenching 101. Most ISCG tabs are through-holes. Yeah the extractor is broke off now; but you can probably still get at the back side, so drill in from there - - or get in there with your Dremel and a little bitty burr-bit and bore back 'til you get to the end of the extractor. Then drive it back out and give it a go with a good extractor.

At the very worst you'll end up with a buggered 6mm hole. Then tap it out for 1/4" (or even 8mm if the thought of non-metric on your bike wigs you out) and move on.
qft

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
where would be a good place to get some quality bolt extractors? would craftsman ones be quality enough?
I've used craftsman ones wrenching on my bike before (broke a linkage bolt on my Morewood Makulu) and they held up just fine. For something that simple, I'd trust craftsman.

Also, a machine shop could probably get it fixed in 30 seconds. Don't feel bad about this though - it's all a learning experience! I cross threaded a banjo bolt into a brand new $3k turbocharger once. You have to learn from your mistakes and move on.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'm pretty sure I've learned from this one.

I took it to 4 machine shops. None of them wanted to touch it. Some were too busy, some didn't do small jobs, some just seemed un-interested. It's at the bike shop now.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Don't buy any Sears sh¡t. Craftsman is a hollow name that is getting lent to garbage sold by K-Mart and Ace Hardwares now.

Go to an automotive jobbers supply (the real auto parts stores in your town that the shops and machanics by from) or a WW Grainger and get a good Proto or similar set. Better still if you can flag down the local Mac or Snap-On tool truck and buy from him.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Respect for trying to work on your steed. I bet 80% of the people on this board don't even own an allen key:) So what, you screwed up. Go get it fixed, you will learn something. Dont let it stop you from wrenching on your steed man.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Drill the piss out of it and get that turd out of there, a little enlarged hole won't hurt none. Then use a helicoil type thread replacement kit. I am sure a shop will charge you good money to repair it, machine shop minimum labor is usually $100.

The basic kit costs about $25 and is very easy to use. You will just need a 1/4" drill bit and a way to turn it. When repaired it will be much stronger than before.

Done.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ Unnecessary to Heli-Coil a hole so small. By the time you've tapped it out for the coil, you could just as easily have tapped it for a 1/4" or 8mm bolt and saved yourself $25+.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
helicoil is a neater job as you would probably have to modify your chain guide to fit the bigger bolt. Most of this talk is really unnecessary as if you drill it into the bolt from the back chances are it will screw out as you start drilling. If not see what I posted above.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Bike is at the bike shop now so it will get sorted.

But, I really don't think I'd run a helicoil in a tab that small if it were me and the hole was messed up after removal I'd just run a longer bolt and put a nut on the back of the tab.

You either had bolts made of licorice or you love your guide crazy tight, you have done well to snap a bolt that is threaded in to aluminium.