Quantcast

Skynet taking your jerbs

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
my job isn't listed. so I'm going to say it's a combination of economist, geographer and political scientist, conservation scientist; 42.9%, 24.6%, 3.9%, 1.6%. I don't know if the lowest number applies, or if it's a weighted average... either way, doesn't look like I have to worry too much as long as I leave the economic stuff to other people!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Actually automation generally save Murican jobs and increases job quality. Automation generally replaces low pay low skilled workers, to which the alternative is moving the operation to lower wage countries. The resulting automation requires skilled labor to design/support, albeit at a lower job count. The resulting capital investment also promotes job stability as it is much harder to move capital equipment overseas as it is to lay a bunch of people off and hire sweat shop workers else where.
But that doesn't fit into my myopic view of the world.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nothing like my occupation on there: Inspector.
My unofficial job title is Software QA Automation Engineer, so the goal of my job is to automate as much of the painful testing as I can so I have more time to myself. An interesting aspect is the idea that my job will eliminate the need to manually test, so people who have no desire to learn something new fear they will no longer be needed once everything is automated.

Only you can rarely automate 100% of anything and there will still be manual validation, I just don't want to be the one to do it. :rofl:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
As I was on the on the on ramp.I accelerated to merge before my exit. Since I crossed 4 lanes of traffic. And had to immediately exit the highway I lost track of how fast I was going. I fishtailed a small amount at the bottom of the ramp. But recovered with such skill and expertise that my prior infraction would be chalked up as a minor at the most to any reasonable person.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Birdwatcher under threat:

We'd like to invite you to try out our new Merlin Bird Photo ID tool, designed to identify 400 North American bird species. Just upload a photo, point out where the bird's bill, eye, and tail are, and the computer takes it from there. For this beta-testing phase, Photo ID is just available on the Web and does not work on phones or tablets—please bear with us. Merlin Bird Photo ID works through machine learning techniques, so it gets "smarter" the more people use it—please give it a try and help it improve!

http://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/photo-id

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^
i wish a engineer would program one of those to kick back as a joke and record the results....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Those don't really help much with the perception that "America is Satan"...

But, if we DID have an army of those and sent them in first...I suspect the enemy would **** their pants. Especially the gas-powered ones, those are just downright evil.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Those don't really help much with the perception that "America is Satan"...

But, if we DID have an army of those and then them in first...I suspect the enemy would **** their pants. Especially the gas-powered ones, those are just downright evil.
I predict the morbidly obese being hauled around by these things because 'Merica. And 'Mericans want to do rugged outdoorsy shit with minimal effort. Instead of lift assist riding, imagine an team of those fuckers just dragging you uphill like a team of sled dogs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Skynet taking our lives. The uprising has begun:

A robot has killed a contractor at one of Volkswagen’s production plants in Germany. The 22-year-old was part of a team that was setting up the stationary robot when it grabbed and crushed him against a metal plate.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/02/robot-kills-worker-at-volkswagen-plant-in-germany
That was a dumb robot, and possibly a dumb technician. Modern industrial robots are incredibly reliable and safe, someone done messed up.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If I was the robot and I saw Arnold in Terminator 5 or whatever it is, I'd kill humans too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Lockout tag-out bros. Plenty of robots at my work. They are like the raptors in Jurassic Park. As long as they are in the cage, I'm safe (unless they start hurling parts everywhere).

There was a HUGE robot at the Mars chocolate bar factory that I worked at as a youngin'. That one was really cool to watch. A smaller bot would load boxes onto a pallet and then the T-Rex of a robot would swoop in, pick the entire pallet up and wrap it and then move it to another station. The arm was on a moving platform which made it even more interesting.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I once had a robot throw a 300lb Duramax engine block at me. I was driving it in manual mode and accidentally hit the unclamp button.