Votes: 23 63.9%
  • Based on what you've said, No

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I love racing, don't get me wrong, but for the past 3 years running, I have gotten hurt in a race that has put me out for the season.

I now find myself asking the question "is it worth it?" I would by NO means stop riding, I would still be going out with my buddies as much as possible to get in some runs, hang out, and RIDE, but, I'm not quite sure what I gain from racing besides spending a lot of extra money to wait in a longer lift line.

Last year I raced expert, and I really have no chance of winning any of the races around here because of all the people that really shouldn't be in expert but don't want to pony up the cash or step it up to race semi-pro.

I guess I just feel like I'm getting away from the reason I got into riding in the first place, to have FUN! I'm just way to competitive of a person, and I end up pushing just THAT much too much in a race setting.

Thoughts?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
If you have fun racing then race, if not don't. Also were the injuries worth it or could you have had more fun just riding? If you like to push your self there is no reason you can't do that out riding. I've heard some guys say they can't push there body as hard as they do when its a race; I think its more a frame of mind.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
make a change mentally? dont go crazy and push your self over the limit... focus on clean runs... i am sure loads of other ppl will tell you the same thing but its just that important, smooth first, speed later... i am sure most of us need to be reminded of that once in a while..

right now it seems like you are nat having fun at the races at all? maybe a change of scene would help, go to some grassroots races where its chilled out and everyone has fun...

dh racing isn't about whos the fastest, its about who get to the bottom in the least amount of time...

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
How about race, but not as much. Pick a series close to you where you can get in 5 or so races and spend the rest of the season tearing it up with your buds.

Getting hurt does put a damper on things, but like Jeremy said, that rush from the race run is like legal cocaine! Well he didn't say the cocaine thing but you know what I mean...

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
How about race, but not as much. Pick a series close to you where you can get in 5 or so races and spend the rest of the season tearing it up with your buds.

Getting hurt does put a damper on things, but like Jeremy said, that rush from the race run is like legal cocaine! Well he didn't say the cocaine thing but you know what I mean...
cocaine is a hell of a drug.

c'mon. you're hooked.

rapp

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
Beaufort, SC
I ain't raced since '04 due to being either in the middle of nowhere or in another country's middle of nowhere, and I've been chomping at the bit to get back into it. You won't realize how much you miss it until you don't or can't do it anymore.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I am starting to do some races again.Havn't since 200 or so. Just 2-3 a year depending on funds. I noticed i got fatter since i havn't had a race to look forward to & nothing to really train for..
I used to race superbikes 1987-90 with the best in the world.That was intense,but also a fun time!

I think you guys are missing Hamburglers point. I understand somewhat because I'm having the same dilema Mike. Last year at the final race at snowshoe demo dave and vader and I went over and rode the freeride side for 2 or so hours on Saturday. That was the most fun I had all weekend. Just riding with the bro's hitting teeter totters and getting sketchy on skinnies.

At the monster park race i did nothing but practice the race course over and over until the race started, then dave and i hit the original pro course a few times - I even missed my start time:poster_oops: . Again, those runs were more fun then all that practice. Oh, and all that practice for me to finish mid pack????

It seems a shame to ride the same course over and over and over so you can get faster at it when there are so many other great trails to ride. Seems like i focused only on racing last year and missed a lot of good riding because of it. I'm going to find a comfortable mix of freeriding and racing this year. Maybe you could just not race as much as you did last year and not take it as serious??? Do a couple practice runs on the course and then ride the rest of the mountain and if you do well in the race cool, if not who cares.

At any rate, i hope I run into you, dennis, and the rest of the crew at the shoe sometime this summer and we can ride something other then the race course:biggrin:

I am starting to do some races again.Havn't since 200 or so. Just 2-3 a year depending on funds. I noticed i got fatter since i havn't had a race to look forward to & nothing to really train for..
I used to race superbikes 1987-90 with the best in the world.That was intense,but also a fun time!
I don't want to hijack this thread, but who are you??? I raced Pro AMA Supersport from 91-93 until i hit the wall at Daytona at 130 mph and woke up in an ambulance with my head taped to a stretcher and forgot who I was for a day or two. I used to trade paint with Aaron Yates all the time.

I'm sounding like an old has been, when I was young I used to.....................

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Jonny, you hit the nail on the head! The last race of my season was the 3rd (2nd) race at Snowshoe. I went up there just to chill out and have a good time. While everyone else was getting all antsy and freaked out about their run during the 3 1/2 hour wait until the start time, my buddy Jason and I went and hit the other side of the mountain. It was the most fun I had the whole weekend. Jason was actually talking about not doing his race run, but I talked him into going back.

When we got back, I noticed I had a hole in my tire, sprinted to the condo, changed it, and got back just in time for my run. It was the best half run i've EVER had. I don't think i've ever gone that fast on a bike, I passed the dude in front of me less than halfway down. Then BAM! out of nowhere, I got bounced funny, went down and broke my wrist. It is STILL bothering me, and that was in August.

I rode all day (and the previous day) just having fun, and then, like always, I pushed to hard and got hurt. I tried to make that mental change this past season, but it apparently didn't work.

anyone know how to make the mental change? ;)

My new idea is this: Hit up some of the really fun races, and go to the others to just ride and then take pictures and support my new business on race day.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I am with Jonny on this one too. I do love to race and push myself just a few inches out of my safe zone, but also love just riding with the boyz. I was out of racing for 2 years and now am back with a whole new drive to ride and race. In the past I would try to hit every race I could on the East Coast and some on the West, even if I got hurt the weekend before. I was younger, helled faster, and a lot faster then too. I also helped run a DH race team and help put on races here in the South East. I got really burned out and having a knee injury as bad as I did at the time, it seemed best to stop racing. Well as Jeremy R said back then “He will be back as soon as he starts missing it”, I was. But, this time I can care less if I win or lose. I can care less if I don’t get to hit up every race too. It’s now about keeping it “FUN” for me and not having the stress to perform like in the pass. Don’t get me wrong, I did have a lot of fun in the pass, but the stress was a lot higher then too. Don't need that in my life right now with a family and all. I say just take it day by day. Plan on hitting up a few races and also plan some long riding weekends with the boyz just for fun. I will probably hit up 5 to 6 races this year, but will plan way more fun riding weekends with the boyz that doesn’t involve racing.

Good luck man and keep it fun!!!!

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
yeah i started racign more last year, but then i just started to find it a mission. i wasent doing for the fn anymore i was doing it just be beat ppl...so i havet raced in a while now, just prefer to ride and have fun that way..mabye i will do it again...

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
We sound a bit alike, Mike.

I'm competitive by nature, and realized how much I needed a competitive outlet after not racing for about 3 years. I played hockey during my time away from racing, but it wasn't quite the same. Fortunately, now I'm back in a situation where I have no reason NOT to race...just don't put too much pressure on yourself to perform.

I have always been a somewhat "mid pack" expert rider, and its easy to get wrapped up in the "I'm not winning" thing. I always go out trying to ride to my personal best, and not everyone elses. If I happen to do well, then its a bonus.

OH WAIT - What class fdo you race in? If its 30-34 expert, maybe you should sit out a year, so I can get some better results ;)

I say stick with it.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
I'm hoping to start racing this year in beginner, and I've been told people sand bag even in this category...WTF It seems like no matter what category your in you'll always get hosed by someone who should be racing in the next category. All I can say is don't push yourself so hard and have fun. If your not enjoying yourself then don't do it.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Just take a year off. Have fun and come back, with more drive for next year. Because its going to kill you. That feeling that you have let your self down, by not taking on the challenge. :disgust1:

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
i have this dilemma with sailing constantly. I get so into the competitive nature of it I find myself having mental breakdowns on the water. It just makes me an angry person and winning doesn't even taste that good. I convince myself that I am putting everything on the line every single race and I stress. There is a lot of pride and reputation on the line in sailing as well as the chance to get noticed by colleges and such and it is no longer any fun for me. This is why I have downhilling though. It's a sport that I enjoy and am not particularly good at, not something that I am going to stress over and it kind of puts sailing in perspective for me. If you are getting so competitive that you no longer enjoy it I don't think there is any way you can escape the competitiveness. Try to start a new sport and enjoy that sport, If you are as competitive as you say that you are then you are probably addicted to the downhilling and will most like not be able to pull yourself away form the races, just enjoy it more.