Quantcast

sethimus's bike critique thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Can you fit a 4.4" tire in that fork? Asking for a friend.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
ok i‘m still in the

IMG_0794.gif

phase, but i try to dissect it from the obvious to the finer details, and just rate the first one, the other is more of a bad taste thing and not really worthy

the obvious:

1708119637526.gif

1708119713154.png

1708119740867.gif

the finer details:

saddle position again, you strange

that front fender, wtf? you have mounting points and still used rubber straps and didn‘t even adjust them for a nice round fit and far too wide off the tire. also in need of some tools, see 1st page for examples. thats just dissappointing…
the rest didn‘t shock me that much, too similar to all the abominations i see daily around zurich hb station. but everything combined at one bike is strong. at least it looks like you service it regularly

one question do i have though: that front bumber: do you hunt small animals with it to provide meat to your family or whats the story there?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Excellent!

The fender I had, so there. Prior fork had no mounts. Been working well for several years now, no point in changing it out. It's on that way to play nicely with the basket - which gets much use.

Very little was bought new for the commuter. Getting creative with a mash-up of parts is part of the fun for me.
Like the 20+ year old Hope Bulb 20mm hub - got creative to make it fit the Karate Monkey fork.

The bumper? Stock on a 2014 Mazda3 - has only netted me a couple squirrels so far...

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
I've always had my seats positioned forward for maximum glute engagement with a forward lean for tech climbing. It helps with pedal kicks/hops etc. my first MTB events in the early 80s had trials in them and I pursued that in a stock bike style to learn skills for climbing and it also translated well for the DH. Lay back seatposts are for beach cruisers and low riders. My custom steel frames had steep seat angles and short stays.