Quantcast

Secrecy surrounds new Intense bike

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Secrecy surrounds new Intense bike
By BikeRadar

Intense are launching a new bike, the 951 (Intense Cycles)
Intense have announced they will be launching a new bike at the Sea Otter Classic later this month.

It's called the 951, which happens to be the telephone area code of their factory in Temecula, California... and that's all the info Intense would give us.

A picture purportedly showing a new Intense downhill bike was leaked on the internet earlier this week, but swiftly taken down.

It looked similar to the Intense Socom, but with swoopier tubing, a lower bottom bracket and the shock mount on the down tube rather than the top tube.

Paul Cusick, director of sales and marketing at Intense, said: "It has been an amazing year of design and development for Jeff Steber and his team at Intense Cycles.

"It was Sea Otter 2008 where the Tracer VP trail bike was first introduced. In terms of sales and awards, it has gone on to become Intense’s most successful model ever.

"Since then, Intense have released the new Uzzi VP, the Spider 2 and the Tazer FRO VP. Now exactly one year later, Sea Otter 2009 will witness the launch of the most exciting new Intense model yet!"

The 19th Sea Otter Classic takes place at Laguna Seca Recreation Area in Monterey, California, from 16-19 April. There will be a full schedule of amateur and pro cycling events, as well as one of the largest consumer bike expos in the world.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
so wait, they have not one, not two, but THREE downhill bikes now? I'm all for options, but doesn't that seem like alot of overlap?

burly50

Where the hell is everyone?
May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY
Maybe if they dropped one of the redundant dh models, that would free up some resources to get their website working properly so I could actually see some of these new models. Just saying.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
The Socom has been around for a while. My guess is it is about due to get the axe.
That's the same as saying the Uzzi has been around for a while or the M-series has been around for a while and is due the axe. I would expect something more along the lines of a redesign that will take on the Socom monicker. They have a lot invested in that name and some good equity in it already.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
That's the same as saying the Uzzi has been around for a while or the M-series has been around for a while and is due the axe.
No it is not. Uzzi SLX made it about 2-3 years and was axed. It has been replaced by the Uzzi VP. The M3 was made about 2-3 years and axed. It was replaced by the M6. How many versions of the Uzzi have the been? How many of the M-series? Quite a bit. How many of the Socom? One.

Notice the trend? Intense seems to go about 2-3 years before a redesign. New designs and technology such as VPP2 lead to new frames replacing old ones.

The Socom has been out about 2-3 years now. The new frame LOOKS like a newer version of the Socom and may be a newer version of the frame. Seems the most likely scenario is for the Socom to be replaced. The M6 isn't likely to go and why would Intense need a 3rd DH frame?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I'm sure that whatever it is, the bike will be beautiful. I just love the look if Intense's design aesthetic.

303flyer

Chimp
Dec 31, 2008
I asked JD myself

Its an m6 rear triangle....

And a cross between a Socom and Intense XC all mountain bike

I think you can pic the m6 out of that bike

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
why is there no drool Smilie

That is the nicest bike ever. It looks super light are we going to see a 30lb build possible.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
why is there no drool Smilie

That is the nicest bike ever. It looks super light are we going to see a 30lb build possible.
Do we really need a 30lb downhill bike? Trek tried to go that way and now according to rumors they have to change their tin can supplier ;)

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
ok missed that cheers

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

i think that gets somewhere near explaining how much i like that bike.

Do we really need a 30lb downhill bike? Trek tried to go that way and now according to rumors they have to change their tin can supplier ;)
probably not but if it can be done then it would be really cool. I like to see the boundries of bike engineering being pushed. Juts think a few years ago a sub 40lb bike was a big deal now everyone is building up 35lb bikes without braking the bank. Surely 30 is the next target to aim for. Why would you not want a 30lb dh bike if it can be made to be as strong as a 35 or 40 lb bike.

cubebiker

Chimp
Apr 9, 2008
Oh **** I fell in love... Will that have an 83mm BB? If it will and has ISCG05 then it WILL BE MINE! Head Angle anyone?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
ok missed that cheers

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

i think that gets somewhere near explaining how much i like that bike.

probably not but if it can be done then it would be really cool. I like to see the boundries of bike engineering being pushed. Juts think a few years ago a sub 40lb bike was a big deal now everyone is building up 35lb bikes without braking the bank. Surely 30 is the next target to aim for. Why would you not want a 30lb dh bike if it can be made to be as strong as a 35 or 40 lb bike.
If it can be made as strong than im 100% for it but socom/session 88 strength has always been an issue for me as not living in the mountains i have less riding time which leads to more agressive riding which leads to more crashes. 37-38lb without speding AIG money is not really an option for me now.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
Why would you not want a 30lb dh bike if it can be made to be as strong as a 35 or 40 lb bike.

why would i want to wear a whole pair of pants when a weeener sock covers and protects the important bits?

i have serious doubts that we are going to see a 30 pound bike built as strong as a 40 pound bike. if construction techniques really do improve that much then i'd rather take a stiffer, stronger, and longer lasting 40 pound bike anyway.
oh wait, this debate seems familiar to me

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Oh **** I fell in love... Will that have an 83mm BB? If it will and has ISCG05 then it WILL BE MINE! Head Angle anyone?
If it won't have an 83 mm BB it will be mine!
Head angle: take a close look, it has the G3 dropouts of the Uzzi and M6 Evo. :clue:
And if it has a M6 rear triangle than there is a welded brace in between the seatstays, goodbye flex! :banana::happydance:

Nice work Jeff!!! :clapping:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Frames have to stay withing a certain weight to be strong and the components can vary from riders needs. light riders can have lighter components but its all relative a 235 guy with a 6'4" height can run 30" bars and throw a 40 lb bike like a 5'9" guy weighing 165lbs with a 35lb bike and 27" bars.

Me I havent had any issues at the weights my bikes are coming in at and I trust them completely OK with the exception of the gravity lights on the nicolai I havent had time on them yet and I think where the build id going they should be fine or Ill replace them with middleburns.

Either way that bike is PIMP!!!!!!!!

This may very well be the next bike to the stable! I like ALOT. Or the new Chumba's coming out next year. The prototype is PIMP!!!!!!

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Frames have to stay withing a certain weight to be strong and the components can vary from riders needs. light riders can have lighter components but its all relative a 235 guy with a 6'4" height can run 30" bars and throw a 40 lb bike like a 5'9" guy weighing 165lbs with a 35lb bike and 27" bars.
EXACTLY. I don't know why anybody thinks they can speak for everybody on what the proper weight (or limits) of a dh bike should be.

brian field

Monkey
Feb 5, 2007
This is in my opinion best looking bike ever!!!! Now, just need to pray that it makes into production!!! PLEASE JEFF

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Oh it's coming Brian :)

30lbs??? Won't happen anytime soon unless you bolt up a bunch of unreliable parts to it. Trail bikes have a hard time coming in that light already. A reliable DH 35-38lb bike is hard enough. I wouldn't expect (or want) the 951 frame to be lighter than the Socom frame. Those G3 dropouts, m6 inspired rear end, and dh geo are all they need imo.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I wouldn't expect (or want) the 951 frame to be lighter than the Socom frame. Those G3 dropouts, m6 inspired rear end, and dh geo are all they need imo.
These additions are all nice, but being the weight weenie I am I really hope it at least kept the weight of the Socom frame. :imstupid: :D
Jeff posted that the M6 Evo is 9.5#s, so I would be surprised if this frame is heavier.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
This is going to be SOCOM'ish weight. The 951 is looking like the bike the SOCOM was supposed to be. The pedalable, flickable, minimalist DH bike. I too am hoping for a 83mm BB, the chainline with a 73bb and 150 rear end usually isnt good. Adjustable HA and BB, light weight, VPP2.. Its going to be very hard to choose between this and the M6.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I like the lower COG designs better.

I wonder why they don't use the lower link shock driving design. possibly to do with link angles driving the shock? Ease of manufacture?

952 looks so fast though.
No Manitous?

Last edited: