Quantcast

Secrecy surrounds new Intense bike

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Doubt it'd be strong enough. It'd probably end up being a monocoque front section = M6.
yes, I didn't think I needed to state the obvious that it'd have to have some changes(did think about it, knew I was leaving the door open for you). They could run a Gusset along the down tube like on the M6 evo. That has the shock pushing on it, so I'd say it would handle it. But obviusly a different shaped down tube would be needed(monocoque whatever). Would probably ad weight, and I guess that's the main thing they're trying to avoid with this design.
Front deraileur is a good point, but you could just run a Hamershcmit instead.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
All I can say is that, being a California native, I would be very hesitant to purchase any product that supports, advertises, or relates to the 951 area code.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
yes, I didn't think I needed to state the obvious that it'd have to have some changes(did think about it, knew I was leaving the door open for you). They could run a Gusset along the down tube like on the M6 evo. That has the shock pushing on it, so I'd say it would handle it. But obviusly a different shaped down tube would be needed(monocoque whatever). Would probably ad weight, and I guess that's the main thing they're trying to avoid with this design.
Wasn't arguing, honest ! Anyway you've just answered your own question as to why the upper link actuates the shock :cheers:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Ive ridden both a lot and that was a bad decision even before this thread. ;)
I love my Socom.
Meh, the SOCOM never really felt like a true downhill race bike to me which was what I was really after, suppose it would have been easier to just get the slacker dropouts and wait for some of the new sweet stuff to come out but whateves.:imstupid:

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
All I can say is that, being a California native, I would be very hesitant to purchase any product that supports, advertises, or relates to the 951 area code.

While I totally agree, when I saw the name of the bike I thought of something totally different.

If you look at the past names of the bikes, you would figure that someone in the DH department at Intense was a BMW nut. M1, M3, M6.

951 is the chassis code for a Porsche 944 Turbo S, thats what I thought of when I first saw the name of the bike. I think its just a coincidence that 951 is also the area code.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I think it looks a $hit load better in person.

If I was into spending/wasting money on cars I would buy one. Nice perk of working for the only BMW dealer this side of NY :busted:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I don't think most people would want a sub 30 pound bike anyway. It would pinball in rockgardens.
It would always be easier to jump over them (ie. like the pros do in Maribor) but there is a point to that. Going to low and it will have ****ty stability(I seem to loose much more speed on flatter rockgardens than on my old 50lb tank). Even my DJ riding friends noticed that a too light bike and you have no stability (who would have thought they need it ;) ).

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Crossovers are fugly. All of them. What's the purpose of them anyway? Besides being prices at sports comps?

Have to agree there i just don't see the point of that its fugly and stupid a Mx5 would be way cooler. I could go on about my hatred of the X6 but it would just derail this tread even further.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
While I totally agree, when I saw the name of the bike I thought of something totally different.

If you look at the past names of the bikes, you would figure that someone in the DH department at Intense was a BMW nut. M1, M3, M6.

951 is the chassis code for a Porsche 944 Turbo S, thats what I thought of when I first saw the name of the bike. I think its just a coincidence that 951 is also the area code.

I'm pretty sure most bikes at intense are named after weapons:

M1

M3

M6 (I heard it was originally supposed to be the M5, which is a way cooler gun, but some legal issues with Specialized came up)

SOCOM

Uzi

Tazer

Tracer

Car dorks.... :disgust1:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
And being a non-California native and having visited the butthole that is Norcal, I would be hesitant to buy any product that supports, advertises, or relates to Santa Cruz.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
And being a non-California native and having visited the butthole that is Norcal, I would be hesitant to buy any product that supports, advertises, or relates to Santa Cruz.
wow, I just have to comment on that one.

Temecula better than Santa Cruz?

Do you really prefer smog and garbage and white trash tweekers to ocean and redwoods and sick dirt that craves to be carved?
Yeah, there may be hippies in SC, but all they do is blow green smoke at you when you go by. No big deal.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
mabey jeff just called it the M1 because he wanted to call it the M1....... and didnt name it after anything....

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You all got it wrong! Reynolds made a new downhill steel tubeset based on their popular 953 tubing. They named it 951 and it can be shaped into aluminum monocoque-like structures that won't dent easy. It is reported to have the same weight as aluminum tubes of similar strength.
In an effort to attract hipster fixie kids to the brand and the downhill sport Intense jumped on the opportunity and updated their successful Socom frame with the new tubeset. After the first information about the frame leaked on the internet, Phil Wood got many requests to build a 150 mm/12 mm fixie hub for downhill use. The UCI is thinking about reversing the rule about skin tight clothing to make girl's jeans legal on the Worldcup race circuit to further capitalize on the new interest in the sport we all love.

Good times ahead!!!!!! :busted::imstupid:

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
You all got it wrong! Reynolds made a new downhill steel tubeset based on their popular 953 tubing. They named it 951 and it can be shaped into aluminum monocoque-like structures that won't dent easy. It is reported to have the same weight as aluminum tubes of similar strength.
In an effort to attract hipster fixie kids to the brand and the downhill sport Intense jumped on the opportunity and updated their successful Socom frame with the new tubeset. After the first information about the frame leaked on the internet, Phil Wood got many requests to build a 150 mm/12 mm fixie hub for downhill use. The UCI is thinking about reversing the rule about skin tight clothing to make girl's jeans legal on the Worldcup race circuit to further capitalize on the new interest in the sport we all love.

Good times ahead!!!!!! :busted::imstupid:

this honestly makes the most sense so far

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Have to agree there i just don't see the point of that its fugly and stupid a Mx5 would be way cooler. I could go on about my hatred of the X6 but it would just derail this tread even further.
Can't say I've ever liked the X6 or now having seen the M version I feel any different. But I do like the fact that BMW has trumped Porsche at their own game. Surely this is what Porsche should have built instead of the Cayenne and left building SUV's to Range Rover.

Anyway, as for the bike, it looks amazing.