Quantcast

Scott Voltage FR for Downhill?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Ok, I'm definitely new to the DH scene. I started riding DH about a month ago when I got to college. I'm currently riding a 2006 scott voltage dirt jump bike on DH. It's a great bike for slalom but its just not a DH bike. (however I have beaten people on DH bikes with it :thumb:) I'm on a fairly tight budget for a new bike (>$2000) and I want something thats on the light end for a DH bike.

I really like the new Scott Voltage FR. My plan is to get the Voltage FR 30 (pic and link below) and sell the rock shox domain that comes on it and replace it with a dual crown fork (probably a boxxer)

So I guess my question is will this make a good light DH bike? If not, what are some better options for a complete bike in that price range?

http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/product/10034/55666/217971

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
they look like a sweet bike. Ive a mate working as a guide in whistler who rides one with 40s on the front and doesn't seem to have any problems with it. He said its a bit more fun for riding in the park than the v10 he had before.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
TONS of thread info on 'em here and other places....
I'm into the frame.. the adjustable nature of it.... would love to run a 2011 with the slightly lower BB with a single crown, running fr/r in 180 mode....

That being said... I don't know which way to go per the pricing.... full build and replace? As, I see you eyeing up the 30... I like plain colors so that's where I'd be heading as well...

But you're going to want to immediately upgrade that rear shock after putting the fork that you want on... figure that into the equation as well...

This thing is the "sleeper" frame in recent memory... and I'm not really into the Gambler either... but.. based on your budget... can't see that you could go wrong. Upgrade as you're able.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong, haven't girls from SCott11 been riding Voltages on WC tracks?

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Well... that's just it. I don't know if I'm exactly looking for a "DH" bike...
I'm newer to the scene myself but not sure that I'm sold on wanting a racing "sled"...
maybe just something with more "pop" or whatever.... So, I'm guessing that I'm talking something more TR250'ish....in that category.... yet I'm also on a budget. Have a wife/kids to think about first.
The Voltage FR seems to fit the bill and meet all of my needs. We'll see.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
the yellow scott in the wc circuit is a team prototype, don´t know how it differs from the production model.
i would buy it, the frame should be capable for amateur dh. what put me off is that the adjustability of the rear travel is in conjunction with the shock length. you can run three different eye to eye shocks in the rear, thats somewhat odd.

Glisseur

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
Åre, Sweden
The Voltages used by the Scott WC team have 200mm rear travel as far as I've heard of. The front shock mount is a little bit different than the production ones, and the shock is mounted upside down.

Team Voltage

Stock Voltage FR10

The Gambler is way to heavy and sluggish IMO. The Voltage is way lighter and more managable, would make for a great DH sled if it had something like 200mm of travel. I'm interested to see if you could apply these changes to a stock Voltage and get more travel out of the frame. It should work ok if you mount the shock directly to the frame, but the link arm looks to differ a little bit.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Great bike IMO. Ive been thinking about one of these for a while. My plan was run a Fox 40 for DH and a 36 for FR/AM type stuff. My friend had an FR30 that I rode a few times at local DH trails, and I loved it!! Great pedaling, and the geo was dialed. Think its a very versatile frame so I dont think you can go wrong.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Well... that's just it. I don't know if I'm exactly looking for a "DH" bike...
I'm newer to the scene myself but not sure that I'm sold on wanting a racing "sled"...
maybe just something with more "pop" or whatever.... So, I'm guessing that I'm talking something more TR250'ish....in that category.... yet I'm also on a budget. Have a wife/kids to think about first.
The Voltage FR seems to fit the bill and meet all of my needs. We'll see.
Voltage FR is perfect for you.. I have a '10 and love it. It's the perfect bike for everything in between my Shocker and XC rig. With all the different mounts and shock options you can basically set it up anyways you want. IE run it in 180/180 mode for diablo, and switch out the rear shock/mount and click the fork into 135mm mode(if you have a totem 2-step/180mm 36 for example), and you have a 135/150 bike that's perfect for highland.
The '10 has a bit more options on how you can run it(with a 160/170mm fork), like I run the 8.75" mount with a 8.5" shock, gives me a pretty slack/low bb height for a 150mm bike with a 170mm fork.. Haven't ridden a 150mm bike that feels as "fast" as the voltage FR feels in this configuration.

Last edited:

invol2ver

Chimp
Aug 23, 2010
the prototype has a works linkage with a lower bottom bracket and extended wheel base i believe. all the guys ride the gambler though due to its ability to plow over anything

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
The Voltages used by the Scott WC team have 200mm rear travel as far as I've heard of. The front shock mount is a little bit different than the production ones, and the shock is mounted upside down.

Team Voltage

Stock Voltage FR10

The Gambler is way to heavy and sluggish IMO. The Voltage is way lighter and more managable, would make for a great DH sled if it had something like 200mm of travel. I'm interested to see if you could apply these changes to a stock Voltage and get more travel out of the frame. It should work ok if you mount the shock directly to the frame, but the link arm looks to differ a little bit.
Visually... LOTS of differences... ST to TT junction.... shock link.... Straight vs curved downtube.... I like the Team...
CaptainSpauldin... I agree... I never gave Scott a second look... a friend turned me on to this frame...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey Guys,

The 2011 Voltage FR has a 0mm BB drop with a 240mm i2i shock giving 180mm of rear travel and a 65° head angle. With the low leverage ratio and low geometry the bike is super fast on the rough stuff and with tons of adjust-ability it can get more maneuverable or more stable depending on what you want.

The Voltage DH that Floriane Pugin rides is a team only proto. It has a 0mm BB drop, 200mm of travel and a 64° headangle. She has a -1° headset in hers bringing it to 63°.

Here is a photo of the two side by side.

It downhills very well but it's not a pure DH bike for smashing. I can get away with it at certain spots like Chatel and it is almost faster but on the WC tracks or Morgins the Gambler is better. Depends a lot on how rough your trails are.

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
Ben,
how available are the different dropouts and shock mounts to the average punter?
I had a quick trawl around the online shops and couldn't find any offering them seperate to buying a frame.
I'm basically looking to do what has been done with the fr30 in your pic so most the standard parts would go straight away.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Yup. That 30 on the left is exactly what I'd be looking to do as well... Pretty much buy it, strip it down, and rebuild it with what I'd want on it.
Ben, thanks for being around and providing so much input. Appreciated!

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Yup. That 30 on the left is exactly what I'd be looking to do as well... Pretty much buy it, strip it down, and rebuild it with what I'd want on it.
Ben, thanks for being around an providing so much input. Appreciated!
Wow.. That was a high speed thread robbery if I've ever seen one :think:

Hey Guys,

The 2011 Voltage FR has a 0mm BB drop with a 240mm i2i shock giving 180mm of rear travel and a 65° head angle. With the low leverage ratio and low geometry the bike is super fast on the rough stuff and with tons of adjust-ability it can get more maneuverable or more stable depending on what you want.

The Voltage DH that Floriane Pugin rides is a team only proto. It has a 0mm BB drop, 200mm of travel and a 64° headangle. She has a -1° headset in hers bringing it to 63°.

Here is a photo of the two side by side.

It downhills very well but it's not a pure DH bike for smashing. I can get away with it at certain spots like Chatel and it is almost faster but on the WC tracks or Morgins the Gambler is better. Depends a lot on how rough your trails are.
BuckoW, thanks for the help, you always answer my scott questions the best. So, I'm pretty much 100% dead set on the voltage fr now, so my new question is, does Scott offer any kind of hookup for collegiate riders? Or is it up to the dealer?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
BuckoW, thanks for the help, you always answer my scott questions the best. So, I'm pretty much 100% dead set on the voltage fr now, so my new question is, does Scott offer any kind of hookup for collegiate riders? Or is it up to the dealer?
EMS sells Scott's I had them special order my FR30, that being said I don't know if they offer a discount/sponsorship for collegiate riders. In the same sense, the FR30 is pretty darn cheap as it is..

My FR30:

Gotta take some new pics w/the lyrik, avy swinger and new seat/bars/grips..

Last edited:

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
"Wow.. That was a high speed thread robbery if I've ever seen one"

Just followed up on GoodGrief's comments in the post above mine....

Oops.... :-)

Don't think that there was any harm in thanking Ben... There's a number of threads running on this particular frame on a number of forums and he's been helpful to all...

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ben,
how available are the different dropouts and shock mounts to the average punter?
I had a quick trawl around the online shops and couldn't find any offering them seperate to buying a frame.
I'm basically looking to do what has been done with the fr30 in your pic so most the standard parts would go straight away.
You should be able to order them from a Scott dealer. If the shop doesn't have the big catalog then just ask them to call and order them. They all exist for sale even if the dealer doesn't see them listed. Let me know if you have any problems.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Wow.. That was a high speed thread robbery if I've ever seen one :think:

No problem, I don't mind helping.

You would have to go through the dealer or maybe even the distributor if you have some good results. There isn't a system setup directly from Scott so it would be case by case.