Quantcast

Saint Calipers leaking

9nine9

Chimp
Apr 23, 2007
Hey, I'm pretty sure the answer to this one is " Buy a new caliper" but here goes-
I picked up a used set of M810 Saint brakes a while ago at a good price but just got around to mounting and bleeding them tonite. I noticed fluid coming from between the front halves of the rear caliper when I bled the rear up. So, I tightened the T25 torx bolts holding the caliper together as much as I felt comfortable doing and this helped slightly but fluid was still showing on the top of the caliper. Are these rebuildable at all? Shimano doesn't have any kits for them.
Anyone have a similar problem they were able to solve?
I'm beat on warranty as they're used. Replacement caliper is $110CAD at CRC.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I haven't seen it before, but usually the only thing that seals caliper halves is small o-rings (to seal a fluid passage from one half to the other), not special seals like for the pistons.

So personally I'd just unscrew the assembly and remove the o-ring/s (there's usually just one but it might be different on the M810)... then get them matched at a seal / bearing shop and replace them. It's probably worth mentioning that they will be exposed to mineral oil so they can give you an appropriate compound.

I have the brake but have not pulled the caliper apart so I might be wrong, but there's only one way to find out - open one up.

Also after bleeding, a small amount of oil will drip out of the bleed nipple for a little while - make sure it's not that. Keep the caliper clean (rag with methylated spirits is good) so you can see where the leak is coming from.

9nine9

Chimp
Apr 23, 2007
Thanks guys.
I called Shimano Canada and they said they don't have small parts available for their Saint calipers and to try and work something out with a local bike store(?). I can't really see an LBS wanting to put time into something they didn't sell so I think I'm gonna go the "pull it apart and match the O-ring" route.
It's definitely coming from between the caliper halves as I cleaned and checked it multiple times.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Thanks guys.
I called Shimano Canada and they said they don't have small parts available for their Saint calipers and to try and work something out with a local bike store(?). I can't really see an LBS wanting to put time into something they didn't sell so I think I'm gonna go the "pull it apart and match the O-ring" route.
It's definitely coming from between the caliper halves as I cleaned and checked it multiple times.
keep us updated as allot of us have saints brakes

Last edited:

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks guys.
I called Shimano Canada and they said they don't have small parts available for their Saint calipers and to try and work something out with a local bike store(?). I can't really see an LBS wanting to put time into something they didn't sell
A bike shop should be the ones helping you with that... Thats why they're still there.

The shop might charge you a small service fee for working on the caliper but you'll get an experts' opinion.

Hopefully you'll get the brake sorted, They work amazing when they're dialed.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
A bike shop should be the ones helping you with that... Thats why they're still there.

The shop might charge you a small service fee for working on the caliper but you'll get an experts' opinion.

Hopefully you'll get the brake sorted, They work amazing when they're dialed.
Yeah but if Shimano doesn't have the part, what is the LBS going to do anyway?

I love Shimano products, but their aftermarket backup is often less than stellar... so often I want to order small parts to fix stuff (eg busted derailleurs) and they just don't stock them (had this experience many times in both Canada and Australia, so guessing it's global).

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Yeah but if Shimano doesn't have the part, what is the LBS going to do anyway?
Usually a shop should carry a decent amount of replacement parts, especially o-rings for disc brake calipers. Most of the time the o-rings Shimano calipers are the same, Ive never opened up a Saint Caliper so im not 100%.

Even if Shimano doesnt have it, that still leaves Norco Dist. and Lambert that are both distributing Shimano product. Its nothing to make a simple call over to those guys and see what they say, they've probably seen before.

Im just saying that a local bike shop should and can help you.

9nine9

Chimp
Apr 23, 2007
So, finally got around to opening these up. O-ring seems intact tho there's some suspect machining on the caliper face, not sure if you can see it in the pics.

In looking for replacement O-rings I think temperature would be a factor. How hot would MTB calipers reach?

9nine9

Chimp
Apr 23, 2007
I think I got it, I'll find out for sure once I heat 'em up but fixed the leak.
I replaced the O-ring- it's a standard size. I think the key was lapping (facing? I can't remember the correct term) the machined faces of the caliper halves.
600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, flat (glass) surface, figure 8 motion.
They bled up to a solid feeling lever almost immediately, which wasn't happening before.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think I got it, I'll find out for sure once I heat 'em up but fixed the leak.
I replaced the O-ring- it's a standard size. I think the key was lapping (facing? I can't remember the correct term) the machined faces of the caliper halves.
600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, flat (glass) surface, figure 8 motion.
They bled up to a solid feeling lever almost immediately, which wasn't happening before.
Good to hear you got it sorted out. Oil must have been escaping along the grooves, shimano seem to have dropped the ball a little compared to the old days. :(