Quantcast

S Works Demo 8 Ad

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Pricing will be expected as followed:

Specialized Demo Carbon Team Replica - $10,000
Specialized Demo Carbon - $7,000
HAHAA are these people high as a kite? Seriously, 10k US for a frame made in China (not saying quality isn't great, but wages and pollution controls means cheaper) and components made in Taiwan (component cost is what 2.5k-3k?).

That is seriously the biggest rip-off I have seen next to the average 'Italian' road bike.

I don't care what anyone says about quantity, a CRF450 is like 8.5k in the US?, a Ducati Panagale costs less than twice the Spesh and the S model costs a bit more than twice.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Yeah, 1-2 seasons is my bet.

All these companies are pushing carbon DH bikes and most haven't even sorted out carbon trail bikes yet. Speaking to the shops around here, seems the failure rate of carbon frames is much higher than you'd think. The only company that I've heard of with a decent success rate is Santa Cruz, and even they had a few issues (cracking Tallboys, but rare)

I mean, look at Evil for example. They more than likely did everything by the book, and as well as could possibly be expected. Had top engineers (<3 teh weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeagle) and STILL it cracked. And now they are doing it in plastic? Not to single them out, its not just them. Many companies have issues like that.

So yeah, considering the level of abuse a top rider can put a DH bike though in a single season, I'd bet 1-2 seasons before its completely crap, cracked or so sketchy its only good for gondola posing. Realistic expectations I'd say.

Lets put it this way:

A semi pro rider out of Plattekill/ Cali/ YURP says they have a carbon trek they've been racing for two seasons. You gonna be the guy to buy that? Feeling comfortable with that buy? Feelin safe?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Forgot to add, the companies making DH bikes, and aiming for low weight scare me. The only two bikes I'd trust out there are the V10, and the GT Fury.

v10 only because I've seen how good SC carbon bikes are (problems here and there, but good on the whole).

GT because they built a plastic goddam tank thats still light, but made to survive a long time.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I'm sketched out buying used aluminum frames...not sure I would buy a used carbon frame.

But who knows, maybe they end up being stronger. I'm not familiar/experienced enough with carbon to know. Here in Phoenix, out trails are made up of sharp pointed rocks...not sure its the best environment for carbon fiber.

They sure do look cool. And I was completely blown away by how light a SC Highball frame was when I held it.

Last edited:

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
the 10k for the sworks may be justified by the fact its a "replica" and only 250 will be made.you know, for people that actually care for this stuff than you could say it logical and its a chance to own ....

however, 7k for the demo 1 model is ridicules :
-lower quality carbon front triangle only
-10+ lbs frame is nothing spectacular this days,especially for a carbon frame.
-x7/x9/tiagra drivetrain ?
-Elixir 5 brakes ???
-Boxxer RC ???

for that amount you can build any aluminium bike with the highest end parts and
even a v10c with very good spec !

full specs here

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
however, 7k for the demo 1 model is ridicules :
-lower quality carbon front triangle only
"Lower quality carbon" is probably not a fair description, I'm sure in reality it's more like their M4 and M5 alloys where they are both great, and the more expensive one is marginally better.

I don't have any huge intention to buy one either, but anyone with a keen eye will see where the extra money goes on their frames. They're usually a step ahead with manufacturing processes, and there's a lot of attention to detail.

I mean, look at Evil for example. They more than likely did everything by the book, and as well as could possibly be expected. Had top engineers (<3 teh weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeagle) and STILL it cracked
Not sure that's actually true? As far as I know, DW was responsible for the suspension kinematics, however not the actual structure of the frame. It's the same for a lot of delta/dw/split-p bikes (DHR, Wilson, Firebird etc). Correct me if I'm wrong though.

As far as I'm aware the only DH bike where he was responsible for both frame structure and kinematics was the Sunday, and I've been trying to break one from '07 for the last five years (and a lot of hard riding in that time) with little success. Thoroughly impressed.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
"Lower quality carbon" is probably not a fair description, I'm sure in reality it's more like their M4 and M5 alloys where they are both great, and the more expensive one is marginally better.

I don't have any huge intention to buy one either, but anyone with a keen eye will see where the extra money goes on their frames. They're usually a step ahead with manufacturing processes, and there's a lot of attention to detail.

Not sure that's actually true? As far as I know, DW was responsible for the suspension kinematics, however not the actual structure of the frame. It's the same for a lot of delta/dw/split-p bikes (DHR, Wilson, Firebird etc). Correct me if I'm wrong though.

As far as I'm aware the only DH bike where he was responsible for both frame structure and kinematics was the Sunday, and I've been trying to break one from '07 for the last five years (and a lot of hard riding in that time) with little success. Thoroughly impressed.

I believe Dave did some structural work for the carbon Evil (don't know how much), but he only did the kinematics for the aluminium one then some crackpot did the engineering for it.

As far as the carbon demos reliability, I'd certainly be more inclined to believe it's long term durability over the aluminium ones, though specialized hasn't made a properly built aluminium bike since the Demo 9, at least the rear ends since have been terribad and Jason needs a good kick up the arse.

I'd certainly have some faith in a carbon V10, which btw I'd like to point out is the grand total of $3450 for the frame, leaving 3.5k for a build kit to bring it up to the 7k of the lower end carbon demo.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
i didnt meant to say its not high quality carbon,just that its strange that they offer a 7k bike with a very (very) poor spec and dont atleast offer the customer the best materials they have.
if you look at the spec btw, its as offered on +- 4k alu bikes with a 2.5k frame included - so that makes the carbon demo 1 frame pricing 5k worth ?

The rear ends of the demo 9s also cracked

As far as the carbon demos reliability, I'd certainly be more inclined to believe it's long term durability over the aluminium ones, though specialized hasn't made a properly built aluminium bike since the Demo 9, at least the rear ends since have been terribad and Jason needs a good kick up the arse.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Lets put it this way:

A semi pro rider out of Plattekill/ Cali/ YURP says they have a carbon trek they've been racing for two seasons. You gonna be the guy to buy that? Feeling comfortable with that buy? Feelin safe?
How is that any different to an Alu frame?
Will you buy an Alu frame, raced by a top rider for two seasons? Feeling comfortable with that buy? Feeling safe?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
so, is these the final version of the speci proto pedals we've seen ages ago? they look a lot different on the pics though...
no. check out some pics of the pedals on hills bike at VdS - looks like they are still testing.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I mean, look at Evil for example. They more than likely did everything by the book, and as well as could possibly be expected. Had top engineers (<3 teh weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeagle) and STILL it cracked. And now they are doing it in plastic? Not to single them out, its not just them. Many companies have issues like that.
didnt they tweak his design in the linkage area and frame around it when going to production?

Last edited:

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
I can't seem to find the actual pricing anywhere to confirm the numbers posted, everything says the pricing is TBA. Trekrules, are those prices just your speculation or did you actually find them somewhere? I work at a spesh dealer so I was really interested in possibly purchasing this bike, but if 10k is correct then yikes:eek:

*edit: nevermind just found the prices on bikeradar...brutal:(

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
^Who's bike is that? Weird that it exists and isn't being used on the "team" frame. Also weird that the lesser carbon frame doesn't even get the mag link that's been common for a year now. Will anyone want to pay $$$s for a frame with 2nd rate carbon, alloy rear, and 2nd rate link (now 3rd rate since we've seen the carbon) that weighs pounds more than the SC and Trek? The team frame weighs the same as my gen 3 alloy V10 did. Big FAIL Specialized.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Nothing to do with over pricing or getting what you pay for. All marketing. Willing to bet all 250 of those are as good as sold!

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
so, is these the final version of the speci proto pedals we've seen ages ago? they look a lot different on the pics though...
Those are the ame pedals that come on the 2012 Demo's. Their pretty good. I like mine. Thou I'd still love to see the ultra thin ones they showed come to market.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Pricing will be expected as followed:

Specialized Demo Carbon Team Replica - $10,000
Specialized Demo Carbon - $7,000
:confused: This seems unbelievable.
Demo Carbon has almost exact spec as $4100 Demo I. $3000 increase for a carbon front triangle and RC4???? I would expect it to be priced under $5000.

Specs pricing is all wonky. Demo frame is bargain at $2650 with CCDB and thomson post.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Im confused. How does a lower BB mean your suspension acts faster?

That video is....something.
Less rider weight being pitched forward.....IE: maintaining more of a 'pure' forward momentum where the suspension isn't accomodating as much mass transfer from the rider. That's about all I can think... Kind of a weird way to say it though. And to pretend 5mm is something significant is a little weird too. You can get that out of pedal thickness, and like 3-5 times that much in tire setups. I heard 'lower BB' and got all sweaty. Then I heard '5mm' and thought it sounded like a manufacturing tolerance variation.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
bro,.5 degree's will play a significant difference in a head tube,5 mm will play a difference in handling ability there is no question.

price tag however....and lol'd wen the specialized guy said "vendors" and "voids"

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
HAHAA are these people high as a kite? Seriously, 10k US for a frame made in China (not saying quality isn't great, but wages and pollution controls means cheaper) and components made in Taiwan (component cost is what 2.5k-3k?).

That is seriously the biggest rip-off I have seen next to the average 'Italian' road bike.

I don't care what anyone says about quantity, a CRF450 is like 8.5k in the US?, a Ducati Panagale costs less than twice the Spesh and the S model costs a bit more than twice.
lmao I was totally about to compare it to a ducati.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Did I miss something or does that say 135mm rear hub spacing with a 83mm BB? Are they running the 135 for the 7 speed cassette?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I just saw this over on empty beer. I'm (almost) loathe to resurrect this thread, but... eh! why not:

"Greg’s victory in Leogang, Austria, not only marks his second World Championship title and 8th World Championship medal, but also writes history as the first Downhill Gold EVER to be won on a carbon bike… the Santa Cruz V10."

:popcorn: