Quantcast

Road-Gravel E-Bikes?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 5.17.27 AM.png

Okay I know I am 95% of the time anti-e-bike. Mainly cause they suck and MOTOs are 10,000 times cooler and 50X faster. But what about Road variants? I live 25 miles from work and have ridden in a number of times. These guys make wicked bikes but the problem is pricing. Also, should I tell them that bike is 2 stops underexposed and they need a bounce board under the front of it......

What do you guys think is the Road wanna be motorcycle acceptable?

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Why not just ride the 25 miles?

I could models. clients etc don't like seeing you all sweaty. Granted I am not sure this would prevent that. At $9500 I could just buy this for $2K more and well have a bunch more fun. I think that is another huge ussie. The price point of e-bikes is stupid.
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 5.45.56 AM.png

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Even those are like $3K right? ANy of them made in the USA?
That sounds about right, decently speced models start at around 2500€ over here. No idea on US manufacturers that actually produce in the States, but as far as American brands go Trek and Specialized appear to have a decent line up in that segment.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Check out Niners new e gravel grinder.

I doubt they are made in usa, but at least their headquarers are in the usa.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
yea but is anyone still making isis cranks that aren't terrible?
Still?

Were any isis cranks not terrible?

I think these e-bikes for commuting are a cool concept. I've seen a few people commuting on e-bikes and have no problem with that, just slow the fack down on shared paths (they are usually on the sidewalk).

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Are Snap On tools made in the US?
Only the hand tools I think. Electric stuff in China not sure about air tools.

Ian, this sounds like a gateway... embrace your ghey side!
This was only the pondering of the $$$ involved here. Granted I want a 2003 CR500 with slick tires, turn signals and a headlight but some asshat in The Califonia legislature thinks this is a bad idea. I don't know why I think the smoker would be a great commute vehicle. Plus I don't have the kind of funds needed to buy a "commute" bike. I can't even finish the MTB frame that is in my garage. This would be me....
ab6a38ae1979499f198cb3c003084abe--gay-pride-pride-flag.jpg

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Road/Commuter E-bikes are f-ing awesome. Pinning it around San Francisco on my Turbo Vado (and soon to be turbo Vado SL) is unbelievably fun (even ignoring the commuting functionality). It basically what you dream of as a little kid riding around town.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Road/Commuter E-bikes are f-ing awesome. Pinning it around San Francisco on my Turbo Vado (and soon to be turbo Vado SL) is unbelievably fun (even ignoring the commuting functionality). It basically what you dream of as a little kid riding around town.
We rode through SF when the first Real World was on and PUCK was losing his shit all over TV. Our buddy spent the 20 minutes going from the Golden Gate down to Pier 24 fucking with bike messengers. It may have been better than any actual ride I have ever been on. We had a few D Cell batteries hucked at us......

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I have an e-fat bike set up for year-round commuting here in the mountains of BC with full fenders, racks, pannier and obnoxiously bright lights. I love it and use it even in the summer time as our primary grocery/errand/pub bike. I put over 1000km on it this summer and the majority of that is for things I would have otherwise used the car for. You can drift it around gravel parking lots like a flat-track motorbike. We ended up getting a Turbo Como for my wife as well and it's a beautifully finished and extremely efficient ride. Commuter e-bikes are great!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Okay I know I am 95% of the time anti-e-bike. Mainly cause they suck and MOTOs are 10,000 times cooler and 50X faster. But what about Road variants? I live 25 miles from work and have ridden in a number of times. These guys make wicked bikes but the problem is pricing. Also, should I tell them that bike is 2 stops underexposed and they need a bounce board under the front of it......[/B]

What do you guys think is the Road wanna be motorcycle acceptable?

Preach!

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I could models. clients etc don't like seeing you all sweaty. Granted I am not sure this would prevent that. At $9500 I could just buy this for $2K more and well have a bunch more fun. I think that is another huge ussie. The price point of e-bikes is stupid. View attachment 150861
Well, on the street those aren't that fun until you put 17" wheels and Supersport tires on.

Then they are about as much fun as you can have on pavement.... which is still usually 1/4 - 1/2 as fun as dirt.....

The motorcycle still gets my vote.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The posting of e-gravel bikes in the dh forum is even stupider.

And you ain't need no 9k to buy a fun dirt bike for dirt roads.
It really should be changed to the "Those who self identify as DH riders"

Like a tactical gun forum for those who don't have the balls to join the military.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The posting of e-gravel bikes in the dh forum is even stupider.

And you ain't need no 9k to buy a fun dirt bike for dirt roads.

Well since I live in the S-HOLE California I cannot go and buy a converted 2008 YZF with lights, signals and slicks any longer for $3900 to commute on. Although obviously you could buy a used EXC for $5-6K. Look at it this way when was the last time anything new has been posted on here about DH? Has anyone not in industry gotten a new sled in the last 3-4 years? Now here we are. It started as Enduorko went full Trail then EBike and now road Ebikes.

Notice the ad doesn't say plated just "legal" so you spent money on lights but has it been DMV approved. This is a dark rabbit hole of sheer fun ruining proportions. What I really need is a CR500 Super too bad the AF conversion are so much $$$.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
If your gonna street tard and not ride in the dirt.
Get a husky 701.
Stupid bike in the dirt. But much more rideable on freeways, and overpowered enough that you won't be ringing it out like a 450.

On dirt other than roads, like you know trails, or even mx tracks you don't have to flog a 450 that hard..... on the street its pure flogging and being 100% hooked up for flogging the whole time is not something most 450s appreciate for an amount of time most street users consider reasonable....