Quantcast

REVIEW: Continental Der Kaiser and Rain King DH tires

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Nice review! Thanks for posting.

Had a chuckle at your conclusion: "For me, in the dry, dusty, Colorado front range, the Rain King was the preference."

Also wondering why Conti would choose to put lower knobs on their "wet" tire than their dry tire. I do wonder if they know what they're doing over there...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Also wondering why Conti would choose to put lower knobs on their "wet" tire than their dry tire. I do wonder if they know what they're doing over there...
No idea about the Rain King/Kaiser knob height, but they are making a true mud/wet conditions tire and have re-named the Rain King.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Page not found.

Also, I've been using the der kaisers for a while now. I've found the flat prevention to be pretty abysmal compared to maxxis stuff. Although the tread seems to last longer the sidewalls don't. Also, the stiffer casing feels noticeably harsher, despite not offering sufficient flat protection. Just my 2 cents.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Had a chuckle at your conclusion: "For me, in the dry, dusty, Colorado front range, the Rain King was the preference."

yeah, i asked about that naming, and the sales manager told me the "rain king" was supposed to be called the "reign king", but it was lost in translation between english and german. so now its just "der baron"....

and there is a proper mud/wet tire in the works.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Also, I've been using the der kaisers for a while now. I've found the flat prevention to be pretty abysmal compared to maxxis stuff. Although the tread seems to last longer the sidewalls don't. Also, the stiffer casing feels noticeably harsher, despite not offering sufficient flat protection. Just my 2 cents.
i found on my first few laps the tire casing rode pretty stiff and a little harsh, but after maybe an hour of ride time they broke in nicely. i typically run maxi 2.5s at 29-30psi, and have to run 34psi in the conti's. found them to ride really nice at that pressure, and had no issues. it just took me a bunch of flats to figure that out. never flatted as long as i confirmed that the tires were at 34psi before every single ride.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
i found on my first few laps the tire casing rode pretty stiff and a little harsh, but after maybe an hour of ride time they broke in nicely. i typically run maxi 2.5s at 29-30psi, and have to run 34psi in the conti's. found them to ride really nice at that pressure, and had no issues. it just took me a bunch of flats to figure that out. never flatted as long as i confirmed that the tires were at 34psi before every single ride.
Just before I replaced my last rear I was running 35-40psi and flatting on not at all rocky trails, riding not at all hard. I don't wtf was going on. And I been getting like 1-2 flats a month on them whereas before I was getting 1-2 flats a year on the maxxis stuff.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
that is crazy!

what rim are you on? how heavy? how stiff/how much compression do you run on the rear shock? just curious is all.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I have been running the Der Kaisers most season and running a set of Der Barons now. The Der Kaisers I have flatten 2 times. Big square hits. Some on the Team have also flatten on big square hits. I think it has to do with Tire Pressure more than anything. Something to do with running tubes and their strong side walls. Found 28psi to work great for me at 170lbs. Some have ran a tubeless setup with no problems. As for the Der Barons no problems. I will be setting them up tubeless for National Champs.

My review:
Der Kaisers have great grip and work well in loose and dry conditions. The corner bit is way low. You think you are getting ready to slide out then there is grip. Crazy to get used too. Lots of grip on Rocks, Roots too.

Der Barons also have great grip. Just as well as the Der Kaisers, but better for all conditions and in the wet. More like riding a Moto Tire like the old Michelin Comp 32, just smaller.

I ran Michelins Muds, Comp 16s, and 24s from 1997 till 2009. Never thought I would like another brand of tires till I ran the Continentals. I have tried Maxxis and Intense outside the Michelins.

Cecil

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
that is crazy!

what rim are you on? how heavy? how stiff/how much compression do you run on the rear shock? just curious is all.
I use wtb dual dutys. 215 lbs. with gear. I have my bike sprung properly, 460# spring (measured, not claimed) and with basically stock compression setting settings on the roco. Just a few clicks on the HSC adjust.

But again, I don't have any problem with 3c maxxis stuff.

I'd imagine Gee is INFINITELY harder on his tires than I am. Doesn't surprise me if he's having trouble too. I think hacktastic flats more on his contis than he did with maxxis tires too. He's a plow/hack rider, but pretty light, same rims too.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah I've flatted both ends of my current set a couple times. Maybe just once on the front. Not at all impressed with the casing on them, but the tread and lifespan is pretty awesome. My front tire still looks very new and it's been on since December. Rear tire is fairly worn (base of the middle knobs are cracking and chunking). The compound is crazy soft, and knowing how gummy it is, the durability on these is simply astounding.

I for one like the sideknob placement on the tire, with the exception of deep pumice ruts (Mammoth) where the sideknobs can catch and pull the front tire to one side or the other. Other than that, I'm all for a tire that lets you lean farther in a corner.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Bummer to hear about the casings not being up to the task. I have a pair of Kaisers and Der Barons waiting to be tested, but we are finding them difficult to set up tubeless. I'm a long time fan of the 2.5 Minion DHF 3C and 2.5 Highroller 3C combo. I run them tubeless and typically run them at 25-27 psi front and 30-32 psi rear. This year however, I've also been running the Schwalbe Muddy Mary 2.5 DH setup tubeless at 23-25 psi with my usual Highroller rear setup. I'm really liking this comb on tracks that have extra demanding conditions.