Quantcast

Retard Making DH Frames!!!! CHECK THIS OUT

nervous_john

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Although those bikes are pretty abhorrent aesthetically and mechanically I feel like I've got to be the one person to come on here and give the guy some credit for effort. Designing and constructing anything isn't easy let alone a functioning (so to speak) bike frame. Crap- building Ikea furniture is hard enough and that has instructions. I wish there were more people building their own frames- even horribly designed ones with suspect fabrication. It beats the hell out of the "my 39lb Iron Horse Sunday Build" threads.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
When was the last time any of you guys being hyper critical tried building your own frame?
The frame builders in this thread, though cynical are at least giving the guy credit for trying. What about the rest of you? Who here, commenting on this guys attempts even knows how to lay down a clean bead, let alone set up a jig to build a frame.:plthumbsdown:
I saw two thumbs up for effort, although the execution could use some work.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I think anyone besides [Ironhorse Sunday] that builds a bike is considered a Retard. I also think they don't know anything about welding, fabricating, or Designing compared to [Ironhorse Sunday]. If it ain't [Ironhorse Sunday] it ain't right! I go by the name of Ridemonkey.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
A+ for effort, F- for execution.

I give him credit for doing his own thing, but a 61 lb finished bike is absurd. Heavy and ugly. Solid steel rear triangle? LOL.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
When was the last time any of you guys being hyper critical tried building your own frame?
The frame builders in this thread, though cynical are at least giving the guy credit for trying. What about the rest of you? Who here, commenting on this guys attempts even knows how to lay down a clean bead, let alone set up a jig to build a frame.:plthumbsdown:
I saw two thumbs up for effort, although the execution could use some work.
I think that, from a conceptual standpoint, it's very cool that he's making his own stuff. On the other hand, his execution sucks. Though I'm totally into homemade stuff, I find it kinda hard to give much respect to someone who's making stuff that awful. You will note, however, that I refrained from piling on with the hate.

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
Although those bikes are pretty abhorrent aesthetically and mechanically I feel like I've got to be the one person to come on here and give the guy some credit for effort. Designing and constructing anything isn't easy let alone a functioning (so to speak) bike frame. Crap- building Ikea furniture is hard enough and that has instructions. I wish there were more people building their own frames- even horribly designed ones with suspect fabrication. It beats the hell out of the "my 39lb Iron Horse Sunday Build" threads.
Agreed. Granted, with the time and money he put into it, he could have probably bought a couple of other bikes that actually come with a warranty. But hey, that's like sh*tting on someone for making "ugly" art when they could have just gone to a gallery and bought a nice piece to hang on their wall. Recognize the work that went in to at least, even if it's ugly as hell and weighs as much as a cement truck.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Who’s the retard? The guy hacking together frames in his garage or the dude sitting at a computer criticizing?

I'd rather fail with a welder than a keyboard.

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
+Rep to everyone in this thread who gave the guy props for effort.

I'm going to agree from a design and fabrication standpoint it's pretty...well...poor. But it's nice to see someone making their own stuff instead of bolting on parts.

STPIZZAY

Chimp
Nov 22, 2007
Sacramento
ROFL i saw those guys riding that at the Downieville classic a few weeks ago. The bike also had a trailer with a 50 cc motor that drove the rear wheel and gave them a boost when they needed it, lol and the rest of the space was taken up by a Keg. That bike was so epic.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
WOW....how the hell how did everyone get so soft suddenly? PLZ believe this guy is selling these frames for 2G's NO JOKE...SELLING THESE FRAMES...He sells dh bikes with Square tapered ALIVIO cranks....I'm Do NOT fell bad for one second. This man is in his later 30's and married...Give me a break...there's a certain decency plz....The world simply isn't fair....giving someone credit for a bochery is simply ludacris...

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
OK, you make the frames he's making, sell them for whatever you deem they're worth with whatever bottem bracket you want and see how it feels when some random dude posts how much of a "Retard" you are for doing so.

It's not that everyone got soft, its just that this guy is doing what 99% of us on Ridemonkey Bullsh!t about every day, and cred is due where cred is due. People like Jan Karpiel sold frames for way more and completely disappeared for quite a while, at least this dude's able to be contacted when his frames crack or break completely.

I'm not saying his frames are novel or anything, or even on par with some of walmart's finest, but seriously dude, don't you have anything better to do than post a thread titled "Retard Making DH Frames!!!! CHECK THIS OUT" ?? Go post that sh!t on pinkbike, Ridemonkey is dropping more and more in post's containing informational content every day thanks to crap like this thread. :plthumbsdown:

Evil Sylvain

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Montreal, QC, Canada
It's all nice and well that this guy is making his own frame. But there's a part of the story you are missing. He's a bit of a looney and completely oblivious to any criticism. He's a drama-queen having left two different MTB forums in Quebec because everybody was "against him". Nobody understands "him". Only "he" is right. Somehow it's no surprise he also likes conspiracy theories. He also constantly derails threads on the only forum I know he's still part of by posting about his own frames when the topic is not about his frames. Other people are annoyed and irritated. Justly so.

Personally I think he's hilarious but because I concluded from his first posts he's slightly, err... let's say eccentric to be polite.

Maybe I can invite him here?

Oh, and the only reason he's making his own frames, IMNSHO, is that he's broke and his job allows him to do this on the side at work.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm all about building your own bike (obviously), but giving a guy "props" for building his own POS bike isn't really fair to real framebuilders. Take a look at some of the other frames built by monkeys who have day jobs other than framebuilding.

That guy is a hack. If he was 13, and it was bike #1, it would be different. But when you're 30, and you've built a couple dozen bikes, you need to stop being proud of dog ****.

Oct 14, 2007
I'm all about building your own bike (obviously), but giving a guy "props" for building his own POS bike isn't really fair to real framebuilders. Take a look at some of the other frames built by monkeys who have day jobs other than framebuilding.

That guy is a hack. If he was 13, and it was bike #1, it would be different. But when you're 30, and you've built a couple dozen bikes, you need to stop being proud of dog ****.
true true

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

That summed it up pretty damn good, I mean really, you would think he would at least take a welding class. That way he could weld instead of burning holes through the metal.

Everyone beat me to the DW link crack!!!

Oct 14, 2007
That summed it up pretty damn good, I mean really, you would think he would at least take a welding class. That way he could weld instead of burning holes through the metal.

Everyone beat me to the DW link crack!!!
ya...he's supposed to be a welder employed by the Quebec gov. .... :poster_oops:

BungedUP

Chimp
Aug 21, 2008
That actually looks fairly reasonable. I like the asthetics, and it appears to have been well made, the component spec is reasonable, geo looks fairly normal, etc. Not bad.
Hello all,

I am the person that made the burgundy colored single pivot bike and I just wanted to make sure no one thought that I, or my bike was related to Dr.Z's creations. Not that I have anything against him or his bikes, but it seems that mine was lumped into a group of photos where his were discussed.

I became aware that there was a photo on this forum of my bike when I was at Whistler this last week. Someone spotted my bike and said he saw a picture on RideMonkey of it. I found that curious, and so tried finding it over here. Thanks to whoever mentioned that to me - I hope you had a great time up there.

Anyhow, I can take a picture of some welds unpainted sometime if you really want to see what the welds look like (someone asked about them it looked like), but they are pretty standard fare - I'm a welder for a bike company, so I pretty well just weld all day long.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV

is that a dw link?

aw geez, here we go again.
You won't here me complaining, I think this bike is AWESOME!

I bet Justin from Lucent Productions is trying to figure out how to build one of these right now.. :)

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I'd rather see threads about people doing something constructive than hear 100 threads of people worrying if their bike is under 40 lbs. or not.

Some riding threads would be even better..

Heck, anything positive actually, the negativity here has been pretty out of control lately.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
You won't here me complaining, I think this bike is AWESOME!

I bet Justin from Lucent Productions is trying to figure out how to build one of these right now.. :)

Dave

You're damn right I am! I need some full squish pit bikes for the 2010 release of SDM 2!!