Quantcast

Replacing avalanche DHF 8.5 stanchions?

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Just wondering if the stanchions on my avalanche DHF 8.5 can be replaced?
I was thinking buying some showa 37mm stanchion but the drop outs are my concern
And the fact they are steel.
As I can't seem to get a reply from Craig at avalanche so seeking other options.
They do have a few small marks which are stone chips , which I hate.

Please help if you can

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How many times did you call Craig? He even checks this board sometimes.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Just wondering if the stanchions on my avalanche DHF 8.5 can be replaced?
I was thinking buying some showa 37mm stanchion but the drop outs are my concern
And the fact they are steel.
As I can't seem to get a reply from Craig at avalanche so seeking other options.
They do have a few small marks which are stone chips , which I hate.

Please help if you can
I would suggest getting the stanchions anodized from a reputable MOTO aftermarket company as a possible option...Race Tech may still do this not sure.

Looks like they sell tubes.

http://racetech.com/page/title/FTNK Fork Tubes

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I'd hang on a bit longer for a reply from Craig. I assume you mean you've emailed him? If so he sometimes takes longer to reply if they're busy, but he does reply.

Alternatively, a phone call will probably sort it out in 2 minutes flat

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the info guys , well he just sends very vague responses like , yes , no or call me.
I like in England UK so can't call him on a mobile phone as too expensive.
And sometime he does not reply.
Also if they are re cited they can't just be anodized as they need Teflon in the coating too.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
had the same problems with email, strongly suggest you call him even if it is from england, did the same from germany. worked like a charm.

btw you can remove the dropouts from the stanchions, but you will need to heat them up (forgot the exact temperature) to break/loosen up the loctite which keeps them in place

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Thanks for the info guys , well he just sends very vague responses like , yes , no or call me.
I like in England UK so can't call him on a mobile phone as too expensive.
And sometime he does not reply.
Also if they are re cited they can't just be anodized as they need Teflon in the coating too.
Stop being tight, and there are various ways of doing dirt cheap international calls. Places like TF Tuned work the same way, it's a PITA to deal with some issues via email

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Stop being tight, and there are various ways of doing dirt cheap international calls. Places like TF Tuned work the same way, it's a PITA to deal with some issues via email
It is not the fact I'm being tight I am from Liverpool in UK and my accent is really bad and people find it hard to understand me from the best of times.
I love my avalanche stuff as I have , MTN8 , DHF 7.5 , DHF 8.5 and various shocks I just want my forks sorted out so they don't cause more damage.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It is not the fact I'm being tight I am from Liverpool in UK and my accent is really bad and people find it hard to understand me from the best of times.
I love my avalanche stuff as I have , MTN8 , DHF 7.5 , DHF 8.5 and various shocks I just want my forks sorted out so they don't cause more damage.
I learned many years ago that for the bicycle industry, an email address is little more than a box to check for website development. Sure, they have emails, but realistically when it's one or just a couple people, you don't really have the manpower to sit there and sort through emails and do just about anything else. Think about your life and friends and then think about having a one man business and then finding time to actually MAKE STUFF for said business. It's not an excuse, it's just the way it is with pretty much any and every small manufacturer. I don't "like" it any more than you, but this is nothing new nor is it indicative of the customer service of said company.

Maybe try singing to Craig, it's strange how accents dissapear when people sing :)

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
I learned many years ago that for the bicycle industry, an email address is little more than a box to check for website development. Sure, they have emails, but realistically when it's one or just a couple people, you don't really have the manpower to sit there and sort through emails and do just about anything else. Think about your life and friends and then think about having a one man business and then finding time to actually MAKE STUFF for said business. It's not an excuse, it's just the way it is with pretty much any and every small manufacturer. I don't "like" it any more than you, but this is nothing new nor is it indicative of the customer service of said company.

Maybe try singing to Craig, it's strange how accents dissapear when people sing :)
Hahaaaaaaaa yeah giving singing a try he would probably slam the phone down on me.
I often mumble and slur my speech or speak really fast lol.
Yeah. Know what you mean about independent companies and that is why I prefer his stuff as it is not this mass produced junk you get nowadays and though old forks the perform really well and want to maintain them for as long as I can.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Craig been extremely good via email for the last several years and a phone conversation was even better. He was great to talk to.

I can't imagine it'll be a cheap fix though.