Quantcast

Redbull Rampage 2023

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
My thoughts too. His idea of "not life altering" is a few standard devations above the average....
Yeah I shat my pants when I broke 1 vert last year. Then again my othopedist who is some back surgery bigshot told me A1 fractures are also "not big things" so maybe he just repeats what the doctors told him if all he has are A1's? I mean every time my back hurts just from sitting wrong I'm still a bit paranoid something is wrong there but I've been told by multiple very good doctors there is such a thing as non very serious back fractures as weird as it sounds

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:think:

I'm Canadian. :sarcastic:

And there's no way the NHS is paying for the level of service Gee requires and gets. Especially not as a professional 'extreme' sports Athlete. He'd have to have some sort of private insurance for that.
I'd guess its Red Bull footing the bill most of the times.

Sethimus watches too much glorified alarmist news about the US. The hatred and stereotypes run deep.... :think:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
He'd have to have some sort of private insurance for that.
Millionaire professional bicyclist, World Cup DH team and bicycle brand owner?
Yeah. I'd imagine he and his siblings might have a few insurance policies between them.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'd guess its Red Bull footing the bill most of the times.

Sethimus watches too much glorified alarmist news about the US. The hatred and stereotypes run deep.... :think:
I can't keep track anymore. I thought we were discussing that he wasn't a RB athlete anymore?! my bad for failing at reading comprehension... :homer:

Millionaire professional bicyclist, World Cup DH team and bicycle brand owner?
Yeah. I'd imagine he and his siblings might have a few insurance policies between them.
Maybe I'm naive, but I guess I didn't really think he was a millionaire... nor did I expect Atherton bikes to be raking in the cash just yet... not at a level to fund two full years (and counting) of rehab. Also, my main point is who is still insuring him?! At this point he's a clear and known liability! No matter how much your net worth, medevac and hospital bills in the US can easily roll into the high six-figures, not to mention the ongoing cost of physio and rehab. And if he ever wound up in a situation like Paul Bas... I have to assume that would also quickly drain any savings he had...

Either way, that's neither here nor there. I hope he heals up quick, and does what makes him happy in life.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
hospital bills in the US
Remember how long back it was when Rachel was hit by a californian driver while over there training on her roadbike?
I think the A-thamily will be pretty savy regards the US medical system and the implications of having to use it.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Remember how long back it was when Rachel was hit by a californian driver while over there training on her roadbike?
Didn't she ride into the back of a parked truck or something and nearly lost use of one arm?

I feel sorry for the riders and their medical bills - that stuff sucks. But also - imagine throwing yourself off a bloody cliff in the wind and not having a plan for it not working out. Its almost like theres a reason normal people don't ride Rampage.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Didn't she ride into the back of a parked truck or something and nearly lost use of one arm?
Nah. into the front of a moving truck. After (RA) not looking ahead. and swerving the same way a US driver would.
That wasn't really the point I was making tho.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nah. into the front of a moving truck. After (RA) not looking ahead. and swerving the same way a US driver would.
That wasn't really the point I was making tho.
Yeah fair. You're right though - that would be a lesson learnt on medical insurance for sure.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Earlier today, I think I overheard Gee talking to Rachel while he was doing some pushups about asking Jordi from FOX a special fork tune so that he could ride the finals. He said he didn't feel that bad and should be able to hold on as long as the wind stays under 40 mph.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
telling me you are american without telling me you are
Not exactly. If I was in his position I'd probably want to pay extra for a fancy shmancy private orthopedic hospital. Afaik UK also has them. Hell this is why I have private insurance on top of using publicly funded hospitals. I get better doctors, hospitals and better surgery equipment (like better plates that fit you better).

@slyfink as someone who has done a fair bit of medical sightseeing thanks to our wonderful sport - most national healthcare providers pay for you no matter what you do.

On a more relevant note - Szymon looks super confident this year. I know he has been training a lot to be in this place but he just casually hit the canyon gap "because he remembered the speed" and flipped it soon after. Double flipped a different feature.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'm a wus, I will agree to that.

I just can't watch it live anymore. After Bas was paralyzed and then Tom broke his back and snapped his leg.... I just don't want to watch somebody die. Hell even Brendogs gap to the battleship. By the sounds in the vid I saw, he cased it pretty good. I'm guessing a foot shorter and it would not have been pretty.

Bring on the replay and highlights.