Quantcast

reason #125 that NYC sucks

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
who the hell are they to say what people can drink or how large of a drink they can have?? :rant: but 7-11 can still sell their 1000oz drinks?
stay classy NYC

Seeking to combat rising obesity rates, the New York City Board of Health approved on Thursday a ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, street carts and movie theaters, enacting the first restriction of its kind in the country......
The measure, unless blocked by a judge, will take effect in six months. The health board vote was the only regulatory approval needed to become binding in the city, but the American soft-drink industry has strongly opposed the plan and vowed this week to try to fight the measure by other means, possibly in the courts...

The soda measure would bar the sale of sweetened drinks in containers larger than 16 ounces, smaller than the size of a common soda bottle. It would affect a range of popular sweetened beverages, including energy drinks, presweetened iced teas and common brands of nondiet soda.

The restrictions would not affect fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; no-calorie diet sodas would not be affected, but establishments with self-service drink fountains, like many fast-food restaurants, would not be allowed to stock cups larger than 16 ounces.
Only establishments that receive inspection grades from the health department would have to obey the rules, a group that includes movie theaters and stadium concession stands. Convenience stores, including 7-Eleven and its king-size “Big Gulp” drinks, would be exempt, along with vending machines and some newsstands.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/nyregion/health-board-approves-bloombergs-soda-ban.html

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'll start taking the "pro-fatty" mantra seriously when I stop having to pay for the skyrocketing costs of said fatties...
then hey, lets just ban all fast food places or any place that serves anything but rabbit food and let Lord Bloomberg and his government make all the decisions for us

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
then hey, lets just ban all fast food places or any place that serves anything but rabbit food and let Lord Bloomberg and his government make all the decisions for us
I really find the freedumb way of seeing freedom some people have in the US. You want to have the right to do something that is obviously borderline stupid and does not benefit you in any way just because it gives you more imaginary freedumb. I see it as a good change though higher taxes on all sodas and unhealthy beverages would be better even if they can't enforce it everywhere.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I really find the freedumb way of seeing freedom some people have in the US. You want to have the right to do something that is obviously borderline stupid and does not benefit you in any way just because it gives you more imaginary freedumb. I see it as a good change though higher taxes on all sodas and unhealthy beverages would be better even if they can't enforce it everywhere.
so are you going to back the ban for your country too? or having your city's mayor make all the decision on what you can eat or drink for you?
youve never drank more then 16oz when eating?

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
so are you going to back the ban for your country too? or having your city's mayor make all the decision on what you can eat or drink for you?
By the way, this statement is patently false. Bloomberg / city council aren't banning serving more than 16oz of soda. They're banning serving more than 16oz of soda *in a single container*. You want your 48oz of corn syrup to go with your McDouble? Buy 3 sodas.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
By the way, this statement is patently false. Bloomberg / city council aren't banning serving more than 16oz of soda. They're banning serving more than 16oz of soda *in a single container*. You want your 48oz of corn syrup to go with your McDouble? Buy 3 sodas.
which makes it even moar dumberer. they arent banning refills of 16oz cups
and its not "patently false"

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Nope. I also don't drink soda to food. I usually drink water and soda every few days. Also yes I'd support that but the only places that aren't shops offering over 500ml are cinemas. I don't order bigger because I'm there to watch a movie, not to run to the bathroom 2 times/ movie.

Also no it's not number - if you make it harder for people to buy a large amount of soda they will buy less. There won't be any "for 50C you can have a galon more and be so fat you will make Kevin Smith look like a fashion mondel"

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Says the Gov't employee, lol.
First our sodaz, then our gunz!

Don't worry, the soda lobby hears your outrage and will mobilize to protect your freedom.
And by 'your freedom', I mean their profits.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When the government takes away our high fructose corn syrup only criminals will have high fructose corn syrup.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
when it comes to the goberment telling us what we can and cant have, ill be the first to say something.
Freedumb = It's bad for me, it's bad for others, I don't want it but when government takes it away from it I'm outraged.

If something has been a law for a long time it's good but new laws adapting to an ever changing world? NEVER!