Quantcast

Rear shock shootout?

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
ok here it is, im tired of my 5th element..im slowly making monies...and i want to change my bike up a bit...

Heres the deal....my bike is a single piviot so i whould like to have some type of pltfrom for it but it's not necessary to have one,
few options...

Avy Chubbie
Avy Montie
Fox DHX 5.0
Zocchi ROCO

other options?

I know the Chubbie is a little more expinsive then the others but yeah..i can save...

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
A DHX likely won't pedal as quite efficiently as your 5th, but it will feel much, much more sensitive to small bumps and such...if you ok with that trade, you can't go wrong. This is based on having ridden and compared a 5th and a DHX on both a bullit and on a VPFree.

No ride time on the other shocks mentioned...my sense is that the Roco is another step along the spectrum towards a "livelier" ride at the expense of pedalling platform...

Sep 17, 2006
I'm kinda in the same boat as well, I've got my choices down to a romic double, roco rc, avy woodie or dhs, and a dhx 5 (buying it for a big hit). I've heard a bit about most of the shocks out on the market but I haven't really heard anything in depth about the avy's and I'm curious how they perform. Sorry to hi jack the thread, but I'm just as curious as you are.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I'm kinda in the same boat as well, I've got my choices down to a romic double, roco rc, avy woodie or dhs, and a dhx 5 (buying it for a big hit). I've heard a bit about most of the shocks out on the market but I haven't really heard anything in depth about the avy's and I'm curious how they perform. Sorry to hi jack the thread, but I'm just as curious as you are.
If you search around and wade through some of the crap, you can find quite a few threads about avys here. I ran one for quite a while and had mixed opinions. It pedalled well and took big hits better than anything else I've tried. Overall DH performance was very good. There were a few issues, though. First, many of them have a pronounced top-out that you cannot get rid of. My biggest problem was that the heavy damping that gave it those pedalling and big hit benefits also made it relatively inactive and harsh at low speeds. I also just felt that the damping made the shock generally too slow.

You can't go wrong with the DHX or Roco.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
ok here it is, im tired of my 5th element..im slowly making monies...and i want to change my bike up a bit...

Heres the deal....my bike is a single piviot so i whould like to have some type of pltfrom for it but it's not necessary to have one,
few options...

Avy Chubbie
Avy Montie
Fox DHX 5.0
Zocchi ROCO

other options?

I know the Chubbie is a little more expinsive then the others but yeah..i can save...
I just got off of a single pivot bike. Morewood Izumu. I ran the Fox DHX 5.0 on it. A friend ran a Cane Creek DB on his. The Fox did a great job, but if I had the extra $$ laying around I would of put the DB on it. In my mind I don't think there are any other shocks out there that will work better than those two. I have also tried the Revox too and still think the Fox is better.

These are just my opinions and others may differ. Good luck man.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
my vote would have to be the chubbie. valved for your weight/frame/riding style, flawless performance, awesome for big hits, nearly indestructable, pedals well considering its not a SPV shock, set it and never have to touch it again.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
My freind has a Roco on his Bottlerocket. Its really nice. Pedals alright, not as good as something with an established pro-pedal platfrom like DHX, but not to shabbby. Where is shines is decending. Handles all the small bumps exceptionally well, but is also very progressive.
As for the Avy, they are great shocks, but word on the street is that they have to be rebuilt quite often. That was coming from a racer, and he is fairly hard on equipment.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
As for the Avy, they are great shocks, but word on the street is that they have to be rebuilt quite often. That was coming from a racer, and he is fairly hard on equipment.

i'm 240lbs and race on the east coast (rocky and tech), and am by no means smooth. ive never had to had an avy rebuilt in the 2 1/2 years ive been riding/racing them. all they need is a nitrogen recharge twice a year (recommended).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have a roco on a draco vigilante. i absolutely love it, i raced it 75% of this season, and once you get it dialed its awesome. it does great on big hits/drops, and is very progressive - i never know if i bottom out or not. it does good with small bumps too and feels quite plush. pedaling is no problem. if you know how to pedal a dh bike then you'll have no problems. my only real complaint about it is the rebound knob only gets 2 turns of adjustment, and for some people it might not be enough.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili

wonder what street that is because i have done quite a few avy rebuilds, but those are normally for size changes, meaning the shock outlasted the frame it was originally bolted to.
take my word for whatever its worth to you, but what you heard from your friend is at 180 degrees from my experience, which is this case is somewhat broad.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
roco is really progresive? i had a post up a few weeks ago asking if it was real progresive and every one said it was crazy liener

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I like the custom tune, set and forget idea. Then you can concentrate on riding vs adjustments.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah a little bit on the pricey side, is it really worth it?
Hard to say. For the ULTIMATE in tunability and flexibility, yes. If you're just wanting an improvement and you aren't super comfortable with tuning your shock, a DHX IMO would be better.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Romic is indeed worse than other shocks...worst experience ever. I would rather ride an old Fox rc than a Romic......but go for an Avy and be happy