Quantcast

Re-color a fork

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I would like to (re-color) a 888. I DO NOT want to paint it myself, so I was thinking about a vinyl wrap or similar, possibly something non permanent that looks better than electrical tape. I WOULD have it get painted if i found the right person to do it, or the right place that i know wouldnt **** it up (like i would)

For now i am just doing the clamps. I would consider the lowers, but the fact that it would be almost twice as much work has me thinking about it.

I would like to make everything black-i am not a fan of white components. I want to start off with the clamps as a "test"

any ideas? preferably cheap as possible

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
*insert "get your mom to pay for it" joke*

but seriously, I have no helpful suggestions other then, rattle can will look bad.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if you want black lowers, you should have ordered the CR or RCV lowers when you got the fork or even the 66 lowers if you want a QR20

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
If you can find an extra set of lowers or clamps to experiment it makes it a lot easier. I just re-did some argyle lowers wasn't that bad, came out pretty decent(in black)..

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Painting is easy. Just hang out outside and do it.

1- SAND YO LEGS SON! A light sanding will give the paint something to grip. Try to get ALL the clearcoat non-shiny, as in sand the whole thing. You don't have to sand it off, just get it all textured and matte looking.

2- CLEAN YO SELF. Use alcohol to remove all oils and crap off the legs. Be thorough.

3- RUBBER UP SON. Put on gloves so you stop transfering body oils. Do not dance with the fork legs, or rub them on your chest. DO not carry them with your asscheeks.

4- GENTLE BABY. Light coats, LIGHT COATS. Build it slow. Its not napalm, you aren't clearing a vietnamese jungle.

5- TENDER LOVE IN BETWEEN- Sand lightly between coats to remove dust and birds stuck to the wet paint.

6- BLING IT SON! CLear it lightly and smoothly.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Rattlecans work REAL WELL if you take your time and do it right.

ps: Yes, its purple.

PPS: I KNOW. ITS PURPLE AND A CRAZY BUILD. DEAL WITH IT>

_C9V0894.jpg

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
^ winner!!!

That said, will it peel off and rip any-time? Example, I put my fancy black fork on the T2 and i arrive at platty with a peeling to white fork... rips off if i fall?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
keep us updated with how this works down the road! i have multiple applications for such product if it last for a month or so
for ****s and giggles i hit it with the end of a flathead screwdriver to see how it would hold up, holds up pretty good, i would guess that if a rock chips up it wont be a problem, i was a little bit worried about the durability but it seems good so far. I also like the fact i can just peel it if i have a problem!

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Sweet! Might be a stupid question, but would this work for a frame? With a clear coat on top or something?

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
should work for anything, they do entire cars with it, as in, the entire car, and then they just peel off the windows, i would think it would work on anything at all?