Quantcast

RC4 vs. CCDB

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
It was very finicky as far as the setup went. Once I got it dialed it felt great but I still couldn't justify it. It seems like if you are the kind of person that really likes to play with knobs and get your setup completely dialed for different courses it is the shock for you. I also only got to ride it for about 4 days on a local track that is real jumpy and not the best for dialing in suspension setup. Looking back I should have done back to back runs switching the shocks, that probably would have made the CCDB really shine but like I said in my earlier post I am a set and forget kind of rider and once I got to the hill the last thing I want to do is break out the tool kit and go crazy changing shocks and du bushings in the parking lot.

One thing that really stands out about it is it didn't seem to wallow in the travel as much as the DHX, it ramped up nicely at the end of the stroke but still picked up small bumps very well and tracked amazingly. In the end I just ended up putting a ti spring on the DHX to save a little weight, there are some things I am not happy with about the DHX but I certainly don't feel the shock is holding me back any. If I were to keep the V10 I would just send the DHX to PUSH for a custom tune.

The frame I have on order is specced with the RC4 which I didn't get a chance to spend time on but honestly having ridden one on a few different frames I cant see there being much difference between the two (DHX and RC4).

Again if you spend the time to set it up and know how to adjust it properly it is the shock for you, if like me you set it up once and leave it at that I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes. I'm probably not the best person to ask it was quite a difference but I am not versed in the adjectives of suspension description well enough to describe how and why. PM me if you have some more questions, I'll try to answer them. But basically I don't think 4 days on the track I rode it on was really enough to give it a fair review.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
silly question. does anyone else have one of their wrenches that doesnt fit on the low speed adjuster? the wrench is way too big for the screw

pantsman

Chimp
Mar 14, 2010
No, thanks for the time to type that!

I agree, four days would not be long enough to get it set up properly, however what you are saying is enough for me! It's cheaper for me to get a Double Barrel than a RC4 and quite frankly, after riding an RC4 equipped V10 over my Dhx equipped? Any change is a good thing!

Also I have ridemonkeys Socket to bug all summer long in Whistler for set up advice. You hear that Steve? Muaaaahahahahah etc

Thanks again for your reply.

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
silly question. does anyone else have one of their wrenches that doesnt fit on the low speed adjuster? the wrench is way too big for the screw
That is a silly question! j/K ;) The smaller end of the tool actually goes around the LS adjusters. It is not meant to be used like a screw driver.

I did two days of bombing every type of trail I could possibly ride. Everything from loose and rocky DH fall lines to XC single track.

With my CCDB, I have found that with just 3/4 of a turn on any knob I can make my bike nearly unridable. :eek: On the other hand, it is very easy to make adjustments of 1/20th a turn with the adjustment tool. People always complain about turning knobs a billion times without effect, and then go right into complaining that the DB is too sensitive when they blindingly go turning knobs all over the place. :think:

WHEN the CCDB is dialed in to work with the fork, your bike is completely transformed. I have a setting now that feels great on everything. I did not even adjust is once all day yesterday and don't feel the need to do so ever again. I have been on a lot of shocks and never has one been so capable of handling such a wide variety of riding with one setting.

There is FAR more going on with the DB than adjustability. The damping ranges it provides during low and high speeds are seemingly endless and always active.

While my time is limited on the RC4, it was set up how I liked shocks to feel and was damn close to my same weight. The most glaring difference I can see between the two, is that the DB has more traction at the top of travel, without sacrificing much if any LSC. Otherwise I thought the RC4 felt very comparable. Even better than the two Elka shocks I had tried.

This is on a 2010 DB built several weeks ago, so take that into account compared to other reviews of the older design, which sucked balls IMO. Thus why it took me so many years to buy one. :D

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That is a silly question! j/K ;) The smaller end of the tool actually goes around the LS adjusters. It is not meant to be used like a screw driver.
i realize its suppose to be a wrench. it would work fine if the wrench fit around the head and was not twice the size.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
i realize its suppose to be a wrench. it would work fine if the wrench fit around the head and was not twice the size.
My tool was double-ended (insert dildo joke here), one end was larger for the HS adjusters, one end smaller for the LS adjusters.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
thank god its not me being so stupid to figure out how the LS end of that adjustment tool was meant to work then! You would think on a shock of this quality they would sort the simple stuff like this out!

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
yup thats right - the smaller of the two holes in my tool :-)eek:) is slightly too large to fit over the screws of LSC adjustments! Pretty poor mistake on such a high $ item IMHO!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yup thats right - the smaller of the two holes in my tool :-)eek:) is slightly too large to fit over the screws of LSC adjustments! Pretty poor mistake on such a high $ item IMHO!
yup me too. ive been carrying around the CC tool and a 6mm wrench to make the adjustments

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
wonder if its a 2009 tool with a 2010 shock? Did they change the size of the LS adjusters on the new units when they increased the range?