Quantcast

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
my mom's place in Normandy. That's an orchard, many Belle de Boskoop in there:
View attachment 153288
@rideit, @SkaredShtles: it might seem fancy, but in reality it's not... those kinds of places require mega-money to keep up. My mom tried to turn it into a B&B, but it's just not bringing in enough $ to stay afloat... My grandparents bought it 80 years ago this week (we just found the bill of sale). But it's looking like she's going to have to sell it soon as she just can't keep up with the work to keep it going. We're pretty sad, but I guess that life?!

It was occupied by the Nazis during the war, we found helmets and mess kits in the attic when we started renovating it. There was fighting in the surrounding fields. There's lots of memories there...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
That’s fairly typical for so much of Europe, things seem ‘fancy’ to us yanks, when in reality, they are just really old!
i would love to stay there for a week and road ride around Normandy early in the mornings, before the wind kicks up!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
@rideit, @SkaredShtles: it might seem fancy, but in reality it's not... those kinds of places require mega-money to keep up. My mom tried to turn it into a B&B, but it's just not bringing in enough $ to stay afloat... My grandparents bought it 80 years ago this week (we just found the bill of sale). But it's looking like she's going to have to sell it soon as she just can't keep up with the work to keep it going. We're pretty sad, but I guess that life?!

It was occupied by the Nazis during the war, we found helmets and mess kits in the attic when we started renovating it. There was fighting in the surrounding fields. There's lots of memories there...
Maybe start a crowdfunding effort to create a Ridemonkey retreat in Normandy... :D

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Watching the History Channel series on Food That Built America shows Sanders was an interesting chap. This show must've come from leftover edits.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That’s fairly typical for so much of Europe, things seem ‘fancy’ to us yanks, when in reality, they are just really old!
i would love to stay there for a week and road ride around Normandy early in the mornings, before the wind kicks up!
It's right on the edge of "la Plaine de Caen". Essentially, right where the rolling hills of Normandy meet the plateau that leads to the ocean, which is about 45 minutes away. It can get pretty windy there for sure. In fact, most of the trees in that photo were replanted after the Y2K New Years Eve windstorm uprooted at least 60% of them. They were all old, from my grandfathers time, and weren't yielding much anymore.

With flat plains and rolling hills, orchards, streams and lots of history, it's a pretty nice place to road ride. If my mom's still living there when the pandemic is over, she rents them out as cottage, if you were so inclined. Here's her website: https://www.normandie-gites-normandy-rentals.com/