Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I had a conference call today about tracking production status of automated processes. At the end of the meeting a manager said he was pleased with my plan and said the only thing he was concerned about was tracking the progress of manual operations. I jokingly said that would be easy once everyone got the 5g chips installed with their Covid vaccinations. A few people laughed, one guy asked with great concern if I was serious. I just said I had another meeting to go to and hung up.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Is a "laker" a ship that only moves around the great lakes?

I've never seen that term
Nah most of them make it out of the Lakes at one point or another. Cargill has a fleet of them that operate on the east coast and the Gulf of Mexico. They mostly carry Bauxite, Cement, Grains and Bituminous Coal. Since they are mostly on the Lakes and generally not Ocean Going Vessels, I think they are not actually considered to be a class of ship.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Nah most of them make it out of the Lakes at one point or another. Cargill has a fleet of them that operate on the east coast and the Gulf of Mexico. They mostly carry Bauxite, Cement, Grains and Bituminous Coal. Since they are mostly on the Lakes and generally not Ocean Going Vessels, I think they are not actually considered to be a class of ship.
Quite a few of the lakers are confined to the Great Lakes as they are too large to navigate the seaway locks for access to the St. Lawrence.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
In the Summer of 84 I worked on the Laker Sir Isaack Brock (Hamilton). We hawjked Ore and Dolomite from Cheboygan MI to Kingston ON and Coburg via Welland Canal. 19 days roundtrip. I only did a season to my Grandpas dismay. I got caught smoking Hash with the Captains Son. The Coast Guard and RMCP would not allow me to be in the helm after that. I had no interest being a deck hand so I quit. It was a fun summer. He was scuttled in Mexico in 1987.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
not sure....just showed up in a italian ig feed i follow...
Actual snowfall from this weekend. The southern alps got absolutely hammered.
Passo rolle is 1984 meters (6509ft) above sea level just for reference . Depending on region and height, we got between 1m and 3m of fresh snow, starting from zero.
Avlanche danger is very high at the moment.

Conditions would be absolutely prime, if the lifts weren't closed due to Covid.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Actual snowfall from this weekend. The southern alps got absolutely hammered.
Passo rolle is 1984 meters (6509ft) above sea level just for reference . Depending on region and height, we got between 1m and 3m of fresh snow, starting from zero.
Avlanche danger is very high at the moment.

Conditions would be absolutely prime, if the lifts weren't closed due to Covid.

that's cool, but stay safe.