Quantcast

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
And just like having an occasional cigarette (say 4 times per year), the threat to your health: so close to zero it's not worth even THINKING about.
You're welcome. Here, have a hotdog on a grilled bun:

In a pinch, cigarettes work just as well:

I've made pulled pork that was marinated for three days, smoked on a grill for nine hours then finished in the oven in a sofrito sauce. It was so good that a vegetarian and a local ballerina plowed through it. If you're going to occasionally eat stuff that is bad for you it should be amazing.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've made pulled pork that was marinated for three days, smoked on a grill for nine hours then finished in the oven in a sofrito sauce. It was so good that a vegetarian and a local ballerina plowed through it. If you're going to occasionally eat stuff that is bad for you it should be amazing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There is no such thing as a non-practicing vegetarian

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
AGEs are in most foods and the average diet has too much:

AGEs can be created inside our body with aging and high blood sugar. But we also eat AGEs. Virtually any food exposed to extreme heat can scorch, generating AGEs.

Adding dry heat to uncooked food can increase that food’s AGE content by 10 to 100 times. But AGEs can be produced during pasteurization, drying, smoking, frying, microwaving and grilling. Any food that contains sugars, fats, and proteins is fair game.

The standard American diet likely contains about 16,000±5,000 kU of AGEs each day. This is three times higher than the safety limit advised by professional organizations. Plant-based diets contain lower amounts, unless they are built upon processed and fried foods. Diets with more raw foods typically contain minimal AGEs.

Acrylamide isn't too hard to find in most people's diets either:

Diets high in baked or fried starchy foods will contain larger amounts of acrylamide. Diets including more animal products and raw plant foods will be lower.

We can also inhale and otherwise absorb this stuff. You’ll find acrylamide in body lotions, shampoos, tobacco smoke, food packaging, and human breast milk (if mom is ingesting acrylamide).

The others which are more harmful aren't as likely to be daily diet items:

HCAs are made when creatines and amino acids (both found in meats) react together with heat. PAHs include over 100 different compounds formed by the incomplete burning of organic matter (e.g., oil, gas, coal, food, etc.) at temperatures in excess of 392 degrees F (200 C). Thus, raw foods don’t have HCAs nor PAHs. Indeed, more than 90% of our exposure to HCAs and PAHs comes from cooked food.

The most concentrated sources include grilled/charred meats and fish. However, ready-to-eat commercial breakfast cereals, processed carbs, fats/oils, and tobacco smoke also contain high amounts of PAHs. PAHs in vegetables and fruits occur mostly due to environmental contamination of air and soil.

Four factors influence HCA formation:
Type of food
Cooking method
Temperature
Cooking duration

Temperature is the most important factor. Problems begin at 212 F (100 C), with the real nasty HCAs forming at about 572 degrees F (300 C).
The PAHs can become even more of a problem when they chemically interact with nitrogen to become “nitrated,” or NPAHs, scientists say. The newly-discovered compounds are NPAHs that were unknown to this point.

This study found that the direct mutagenicity of the NPAHs with one nitrogen group can increase 6 to 432 times more than the parent compound. NPAHs based on two nitrogen groups can be 272 to 467 times more mutagenic. Mutagens are chemicals that can cause DNA damage in cells that in turn can cause cancer.

For technical reasons based on how the mutagenic assays are conducted, the researchers said these numbers may actually understate the increase in toxicity – it could be even higher.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
AGEs are in most foods and the average diet has too much:

Acrylamide isn't too hard to find in most people's diets either:

The others which are more harmful aren't as likely to be daily diet items:

What would be an acceptable alternative for sustenance? I just don't have time to forage.
Chicken Wings take to long in the Crock Pot and just don't taste as good. Baked Onion Rings suck....

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I grew up in post industrial Buffalo NY. The amount of Mercury and Lead in me and my brothers is off the charts. We will worry about our diets someday I suppose. I regularly exceed the amount of fish that the DEC says is healthy to consume. The Joy of consuming food is something you might not understand. I feel bad for you.... That worry shit is so bad for you.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Cognitive dissonance won't change the results of the body of studies. These diseases have both environmental and genetic causes along with synergies and cumulative aspects. Your excuse makes no sense at all.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cognitive dissonance won't change the results of the body of studies.
Pickles surely are the exception. Please allow me to continue forward with my Naive belief of that. All the great societies have had Pickles. Koreans now they are some Bad Ass Motherfuckers. They eat tonnes of Pickles.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I can slice a magnificent Tar tar. No flames required. It is like Sushi. I finish it with a haberno mustard brown sugar glaze and shredded baby carrots.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'd rather eat things I like and take a year or two off of the shitty end of my life.
Keep on with the cognitive dissonance. Erroneous assumption that the food is the only factor when there are hundreds of things you're exposed to along with genetics. Synergies and cumulative effects.