Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fun fact. Most oil and carbon based fuels came from plants during the carboniferous period. It was during the carboniferous period that plants first evolved lignum, ie wood fiber. No bacteria or fungi at this time existed that could decompose lignum. Dead plant matter would built up in massive quantities, eventually getting turned into coal and oil. With the evolution of bacteria and fungi that can decompose pretty much anything, the processes that created oil and coal reserves cannot occur.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fun fact. Most oil and carbon based fuels came from plants during the carboniferous period. It was during the carboniferous period that plants first evolved lignum, ie wood fiber. No bacteria or fungi at this time existed that could decompose lignum. Dead plant matter would built up in massive quantities, eventually getting turned into coal and oil. With the evolution of bacteria and fungi that can decompose pretty much anything, the processes that created oil and coal reserves cannot occur.
Syadasti is that you?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Bacteria and fungi are carbon based life forms. Who can say that at some point that they may exist in a quantity enough and the geologic conditions might occur where Oil or Coal might form? Some Tar sands are formed from creatures that died and converted into coal sediments in what where buried ancient seas.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bacteria and fungi are carbon based life forms. Who can say that at some point that they may exist in a quantity enough and the geologic conditions might occur where Oil or Coal might form? Some Tar sands are formed from creatures that died and converted into coal sediments in what where buried ancient seas.

Entropy baby. Most organic material will get decomposed into simpler hydrocarbons like methane, and release into the atmosphere. But yeah, there are still a few processes that can create oil but nothing en masse like the fuel reserves we now depend on. We just need to genetically engineer some photosynthetic life form that can't currently decompose.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Entropy baby. Most organic material will get decomposed into simpler hydrocarbons like methane, and release into the atmosphere. But yeah, there are still a few processes that can create oil but nothing en masse like the fuel reserves we now depend on. We just need to genetically engineer some photosynthetic life form that can't currently decompose.
You're right. Thanks for clearing it up for me.....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Legos were a catalyst for my life long obsession with object making. I built the projects on the box without directions and made countless spaceships, tanks, jeeps, bulldozers, castles, dragons, and even an entire city that took up a coffee table.